+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you have to go past Katherine as they still get a fair bit of the wind etc (don't quote me on that though)

I was just checking out some premade kits - a very expensive way of going about it - they start at $200 for a very basic kit and go up to nearly $1000

Though I did get the idea for the water sterilisation tablets from them. With water you need about 10 litres ber person for 3 days (plus extra for cooking and cleaning - hence the extra baby wipes)
    Garbage bags are a good idea too.
    And those of you with pets don't forget to include all their stuff and make sure you have pet first aid stuff too (from memory there are a few websites that have suggestions for what to include)
    Last edited by Seacretsquirrel; 24-10-2009 at 23:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Good Luck everyone up there, hope you ride it out okay. Our cyclone warning got cancelled this morning but its still really windy here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ARE YOU READY ?????? Have you got food?? Food that you don't need to cook?
    Have you got water? Have you got some cash on you? If power is out ATM won't work you need some cash. have you got food/water for pet's? Have you got nappies, formula. Any thing your kids might need? Have you got medication that any one need's? Do have children's panadol?

Remarks:
    Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului is expected to continue moving in a southerly direction, and remain well offshore during Thursday.

On Friday the cyclone is expected to turn west-southwest and begin moving closer to the Queensland coast. On current predictions the most likely scenario is for the cyclone to impact the Queensland coast during the weekend somewhere between Cardwell and St Lawrence. However, it is important to understand that some uncertainty remains in this outlook period.

The windy conditions over much of the Queensland east coastal waters will continue due to the tight pressure gradient generated by a combination of a high pressure system situated in the Tasman Sea and Severe Tropical Cyclone Ului. Seas and swell are expected to increase along much of the Queensland east coast and produce dangerous surf conditions on the exposed coasts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I stocked up a few days ago. Larry was supposed to hit there too, so im freaking this ones going to cut north.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IndigoJ It is better to be stocked up then have it hit and have nothing. It is still any one's guess where it will hit.

We moved away from Townsvill the end of 2005 so missed Larry. we were very happy to have missed him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's great you've posted this. I think we're pretty safe from winds around here, mainly just floods and power outages that will affect us. However, my windows will still be taped up and everything outside that can't come inside is tied down and put in a place where it's least likely to cause problems in cyclonic conditions.

Our 72 hour pack has the memory cards from the digital camera which are in plastic cases and all of them in those plastic zip-seal bags. I don't delete pictures unless they're really bad and not worth keeping, so when one memory card fills up I buy a new one and put that one away.

It has all the other essentials too of course, torches, spare batteries, clothing, toiletries, cash, food, etc and it's in an easily accessible place so we can grab and run. It also has a basic first aid kit and other things we'd need to use in that time.

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm running around now getting things organised. I can't do the heavy stuff so DP will have to do that when he gets home. DP is actually getting on my nerves a bit. I've asked him to clear out the car port (we've got a load of stuff in there that needs to come inside) and other stuff to prepare, and he's just doesn't seem worried or like we need to do all this stuff to prepare. The cyclone might not hit or whatever, but it's so much better to be prepared if it does. We have a 4 month old to think about too. I'm quite annoyed with DP actually. Anyway, I'm doing as much as I can. DD had her 4 month needles yesterday and is a bit crook, so I've got my hands full at the mo!! Anyway, rant over. I'll post anymore updates from the BOM. Just call me Bubhubs weather girl, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are north odf Cardwell but we are getting things ready too. Larry was predicted to hit there too but hooked north. I have my fingers crossed for everyone to stay same.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 18-03-2010 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    Are you ready?????

yep, we got ready the day i heard it was out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    yep, we got ready the day i heard it was out there.

going to keep adding "are you ready" and deleting the last post just to move it up .

We try to be ready at all time's. We are about to refill our Bottle's with water about 100lt+.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 20-03-2010 at 13:06.