+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Lightbulb Getting ready for cyclone/flood season.

Seeing as we are coming up to cyclone flood season, again and something that happens each year across Northern Australia. (WA-NT-QLD). Flooding is going to move into NSW, Might all so move into VIC and SA.

We should have a thread about what each of our families do to prepare and help other people to prepare.

What to think about…

Before/During/After

Food
    Water
    Radio
    Light
    Batteries
    Eating
    Cooking
    Personal Documents
    Clothing
    Personal Toiletries/Hygiene
    Phones/Chargers
    Yard Cleaning/House Prep
    Your own Tarps/Rope/Ladder
    Pets - food, water, food-water bowl, Dog harness, collars, leads and leashes, safe warm place for them, travel cage.
    Kids/Baby Needs - Nappies, formula, food they will eat, warm clothing, blankets.
    Staying/Going/Forced to go
    Vehicles Fuel
    Contact Numbers: Emergency/Family
    72 Hour pack for each family family member
    First Aid kit,

mummaslove added
    cash on hand
    repellant and mosquito coils

Seacretsquirrel added
    camp stove
    tinned food 2min noodles etc
    a roll or 2 of loo paper
    extra baby wipes
    documents in 2 zip lock bags

I hope I don't upset any one, when I add your ideas to the list.
    Last edited by *Cj*; 11-01-2011 at 12:43.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Having just moved to the NT I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I wonder if anyone from the NT can tell me where a good evacuation point would be in case of a large cyclone? How far inland would you need to go, and how early would you need to leave? Also..what size storm would make you consider evacuating? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks *cj* for posting this, it is a great reminder.

I live in Innisfail, and will never forget Cyclone Larry for as long as I live.

My best advice would be to have your car filled with fuel, and have cash on hand, because if there is no power in town for a few days (or a few weeks in our case) there are no ATM's, EFTPOS etc.

Have repellant and mosquito coils handy, because the mosquito problem after Larry was terrible, like nothing I've seen before.

Regarding evacuation, I know a lot of people from the coast go to the Tablelands, but Larry went straight up there and was pretty devastating there too, so I don't really know how far inland you should go.

I wouldn't consider evacuating unless you live right on the water and are in immediate danger of storm surge or flood from a river.

But if a cyclone was coming for us of a category 4 or 5 again, I may consider it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardentwhispers View Post
    Having just moved to the NT I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I wonder if anyone from the NT can tell me where a good evacuation point would be in case of a large cyclone? How far inland would you need to go, and how early would you need to leave? Also..what size storm would make you consider evacuating? Thanks
    They told us whent to leave when the last one came through last year it was announced on the radio/tv etc that if you were going to evacuate then do it by "this" time.
    I am not sure as to the best place to go but I think you have to head a fair way south and then you have the dramas of roads being closed due to debris and flooding (even if the actual cyclone wasn't to serious in the end)
    there are also a few cyclone shelters around Darwin and Palmerston (the Hub at Palmerston is one)
    We do up a kit each year with some tinned food 2min noodles etc (we have a camp stove to cook on in the event of no power) and all the bits that CJ said we also add a roll or 2 of loo paper and extra baby wipes too.
    I pop our documents in 2 zip lock bags (the big ones fit A4 pages and I double up just in case).
    And don't forget your first aid kit!

You should also look for the best place to be in your own house too so that you know where to go if you have to stay in your house. remember matresses can be used to block doorways etc too go for a central place with no windows.
    The NT govt website has great info also. or go to you public library they often have brochures on what to do where to go etc too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mammaslove - yes we went through cyclone Larry as well and you made some good points.
    We were without power for 2 wks - I wonder sometimes how we survived without it lol!
    We had not thought about certain things beforehand and were stuck - we did not get cash out - we could not buy fuel or use ATM etc, thankfully we received relief money to buy food.
    We went through alot of mozzies coils, gas cartridges for little gas cooker and I ended up having to use all my good candles around the house as last resort!!!

It is good to have a radio on hand and listen frequently to any alerts to keep you informed. You are usually given lots of warning and are advised where to go for shelter if you need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Seacretsquirrel View Post
    We do up a kit each year with some tinned food 2min noodles etc (we have a camp stove to cook on in the event of no power) and all the bits that CJ said we also add a roll or 2 of loo paper and extra baby wipes too.
    I pop our documents in 2 zip lock bags (the big ones fit A4 pages and I double up just in case).
    And don't forget your first aid kit!

Thats great that you do up kits.

Does any one have 72 hour packs made up? There great in case you have to evacuate and you don't have time to pack any thing. It will help your family be self-sufficient until help arrives. For more info on 72 hour packs please look at the links below. Or ask in the thread.

http://lds.about.com/od/preparedness...72hour_kit.htm
    http://www.nationalterroralert.com/72hourkit/
    http://www.santapaulacert.com/72hour.html

DON'T FORGET to pack a photo of your family in case some one gets lost. It will help in finding them.

DON'T FORGET to put all/some of your photos on DVD or Cd, keep a few copies at diffter peoples home if you can. Keep a copy in your 72 pack.

DON'T FORGET you can get wind up Torches.
    Like this one, it all so has a radio. There great for kids. http://www.originecostore.com.au/Mag...Radio/MR05.htm

Please keep the helpful tips coming
    Last edited by *Cj*; 19-10-2009 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummaslove View Post
    Thanks *cj* for posting this, it is a great reminder.

I live in Innisfail, and will never forget Cyclone Larry for as long as I live.

I also live in Innisfail, luckily i was in Brisbane when Cyclone Larry, but my family and friends went through it, and one thing they said was that they hadnt thought the storm was going to be as bad as it was.
    So i will not be underestimating any cyclone that comes this way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardentwhispers View Post

I'm trying to get some links for you. But some won't work. Try this one, it has a list of helpful site's for NT. http://www.abc.net.au/nt/stories/cyclone.htm.

Some site's might be getting updated. Try a again in a few days. If no luck give the Darwin City Council a call. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    I'm trying to get some links for you. But some won't work. Try this one, it has a list of helpful site's for NT. http://www.abc.net.au/nt/stories/cyclone.htm.

Some site's might be getting updated. Try a again in a few days. If no luck give the Darwin City Council a call. Hope that helps
    Thanks. The other night I scoured the web to see everything we should do and have on hand. I figure our safest room is my walk in wardrobe because it has no windows and is attatched to a bathroom. The bathroom has windows though, so I think I would have to tape up the windows and the door (it's a sliding door) during the actual cyclone. I've actually been through 2 small cyclones and a few tropical storms in the past, so I have some clue of what to do and wouldn't mind riding out a smaller storm.

I have pets, so it would be tricky to evacuate, but if it was going to be a large cyclone that's the first thing I'd want to do - get in the car. None of the websites I've looked at were helpful in finding out how inland you'd have to get. Would Katherine be far enough? I have visions of driving til I get to my dad's place in Adelaide