+ Reply to Thread
    Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Eco-paints & pregnancy?

Hi

We're moving and selling our house and it desperately needs painting. There's a whole new generation of low-odour, low VOC (the toxic part) interior paints available now and I was wondering if anyone had used them, and if so, whether it made them feel sick or really was low odour. I don't want to expose the baby to dangerous chemicals, but these paints all claim to be safe. Nowhere can I actually find the specifics about what is in them though, and what level of VOC they actually have. So I was wondering what other's experiences were. Any suggestions as to the best paint to use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently painted that babies room just using dulux, I made that the windows were open as well as the front and back doors for optimum ventilation, it didn't make me feel sick but I only did one wall at a time then went outside, too make sure I didn't overload myself on fumes.

If you are worried could you maybe get some friends over to help your DP with the painting so you dont have to and spend the day over at a friends house or out shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a family history of allergies and my 4yo has asthma as well, so I'm pretty worried about paint fumes. My parents had their house painted and for MONTHS afterwards I was getting a headache and sneezing from the paint smell whenever I was there. I used Eco-Paint from an eco store for my house - I'm not sure what rules are regarding posting business names but maybe pm me if you want details.

Some of the big brands are releasing 'low voc' paints but the eco one is completely voc FREE....but I also have found they mark a bit and are tricky to clean off (keep meaning to call them to ask their advice so it could be simple to clean it, I just haven't got around to it). But one thing to research a bit is about the big brand 'low voc' paints - the friend who got me onto the eco paints told me that they don't actually have reduced levels of toxic substances, they are just masked so you can't smell them!!! So check it out first.

(The eco store also had a clay-based paint which would be worth checking out - just more exe I think.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Recently just painted Bubs to be room using Nippon Odour-less and found it really good there was some smell but with a window open it left within a couple of hours it also has ultra low VOCs

(containing < 50g/L VOC, meeting the VOC requirements of the eco-standards specified by the Green Labelling Scheme)

Great product

Here's also a link to info on Nippon Paint and pacific's
    http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/downlo...Odour-less.pdf