ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Planning another pregnancy - private costs

DH and I are planning another pregnancy in about a years time and hoping to get pregnant in about a years time. I'm hoping to go private again next time. I was Navy and they covered all the expenses so I have no idea how much it will cost.

We have private health insurance that I believe will cover our hospital stay and delivery, we'll use the same paed that we used for dd, but I have no idea how much the out of pockets will be. Is it rude to call the OB and ask? How much were your out of pocket expenses? How does the medicare work? I'm clueless! lol

I want to save the money so we don't have to worry about it when I do get pregnant. I loved being in private and I've heard horror stories about public health care, and it seems things are only getting worse

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok, I'll have a go at answering your Qn E&M.
    I don't think it's rude at all to call your OB and ask for his schedule of fees. Also, ask if he is a 'no gap' OB for your particular health fund. If he is, you wont have to pay any extra when the baby is born, as he'll cover any 'gap' between what your PHI covers and his fees.

These are the fees for my OB:
    Initial consult : $136
    Subsequent visits: $75
    Postnatal visit : $75
    Ultrasound : $78
    Nuchal ultrasound (12w): $190
    Morphology u/s (20w): $195
    Gowth u/s (not sure, maybe 28w?): $86
    Management fee (payable at 20w): $1200 (though from what I've seen, this is quite low, some are up to $3000)

I'm doing cared share with my GP as my OB doesn't live in the same city as me, so I only see him every second visit and for the last month (8, 12, 20, 28, 32, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40), which cuts my costs down a little bit, as he tends to do a scan each visit whereas my GP doesn't

Then you've got hospital fees - any excess you have to pay for your PHI (might be nil, ours is $500), which is also payable again if the baby has to be admitted as well as you, otherwise they're classed as a 'visitor' and you don't have to pay for them; paediatrician's fees; anaesthetists fees.

Now, the medicare safety net. If you spend over (I think it's) $1200 in a calendar year, once you get to that $1200, you will then receive 80% back of whatever your costs are after that. So, at the moment I'm only getting $33.75 back for my visits, but once i reach the safety net I'll be getting $60. The good thing about having to pay the management fee is that you're straight away over the safety net amount. It just sucks if (as in my case) you pregnancy goes over two calendar years, because then you have to start all over again.

Hope this helps a bit, and if I've got anything wrong, please someone correct me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ETA - just had a look on the medicare website, apparently if you're a concession card holder, or get FTB (A) the threshold is only $555.70, if not it's $1111.60.
    And don't forget you have to register yourself as a family, because that way, both your and your DH's expenses go towards the total. Should have clarified that the amount is your out of pocket expenses, not the total cost of the visits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just reached my Safety Net (which was $1100 for my family) and got back $1800 of my $2450 Management Fee.

However, (I am not sure of the exact details) I know as of 1st Jan 2010 the amount that you can get back on this fee is going to be greatly decreased... There is going to be some sort of "cap" put on rebates for certain things and I am almost certain that the management fee is one of them. I think IVF is another.

The management fee is usually payable at around 20 weeks. My sister in law is about 9 weeks pregnant and only just scrapes in with her management fee payable in mid December.

I hope I'm wrong but you might want to look into this to make sure you can still afford it? I wouldn't be able to