+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Perforated uterus from a D&C after my M/C

Hi all im pretty new here,
    I had a m/c (fetal death in utro at 10 weeks) and i was sent to see a dr at the hospital on Friday just gone (Sep 25th) He was to perform a D&C and during the procedure he perforated my uterus and had to stop the procedure. He told me that he dosent even know if he got the baby out . He told me i will be bleeding for 2 weeks because of this and if it dosent settle within the 2 weeks to go back to the hospital or my GP. Well i left the hospital on saturday and i have had no bleeding what so ever which cant be right ( i do have a very tight cervix which is why it got perforated in the first place as once the rod went through my cervix he was puching so hard it went through the other side of my uterus).

This is my second loss in just over a year (my last was stillborn at 20weeks in August of 08) and my 6th loss all together and im finding it so hard to deal with. When the dr told me there was no heart beat on Wednesday my heart droped i couldnt beleive it was happening all over again and then to make matters worse this happens.

If anyone has had a perforated uterus i really would love to hear your story and if you went on to have children. Im really needing positive storys right now. Im so frightened

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't had this happen to me but I just wanted to give you some

Did the doctor tell you there would be long-lasting damage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you for your reply. The dr didnt really tell me anything just, and i quote "you should be okay"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, that must of been hard to hear. Some doctors just have no idea on how to treat their patients. He should of at least gone into what may or may not happen so at least you can be prepared.

I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i'm so sorry for your loss, that must have been devestating, especially so soon after your last loss.

is there anyway you can contact the doctor who performed the D&C and ask him for details about the perforation (i.e. size and location)? and how long this would take to heal? it may mean you need to wait for it to heal before falling pregnant again or you may have to be very closely monitored during pregnancy (which i'm assuming you would be anyway given your history) or you may even be advised to have a cesarian section for any subsequwnt deliveries.

i can't believe he has left you with so many questions, especially given that the complication is a result of HIS own mistake.

i hope someone can help you with some more specific information. goodluck for the future

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that. It must be both physically and emotionally distressing.

I've never experienced what you described, but after thinking about it for a while, I realised that every time a woman has a C-section, her uterus is cut open. As yours would only be a small perforation in comparison to a C-section cut I would assume that your chances of falling pregnant again are pretty good. Don't give up hope!

I'm sorry for your loss though. I would suggest going back for a scan in a week or so to see if everything has been removed and is healing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabeaGR8mum View Post
    i'm so sorry for your loss, that must have been devestating, especially so soon after your last loss.

is there anyway you can contact the doctor who performed the D&C and ask him for details about the perforation (i.e. size and location)? and how long this would take to heal? it may mean you need to wait for it to heal before falling pregnant again or you may have to be very closely monitored during pregnancy (which i'm assuming you would be anyway given your history) or you may even be advised to have a cesarian section for any subsequwnt deliveries.

i can't believe he has left you with so many questions, especially given that the complication is a result of HIS own mistake.

i hope someone can help you with some more specific information. goodluck for the future
    Thank you so much Gonnabeagr8mum, I have tried calling him at the hospital but they refuse to put me through they will only put me onto the midwives and because of the public holiday today i cant get hold of my GP who is also a OBGYN. I have so much scar tissue in there, i have had 4 laperoscopys because of severe endometrosis and multiple cysts on my ovaries allong with 4 D&C's at the same time also i have had 2 c sections because my son was footling breach and my daughter came only 14 months later and then a natural birth at 20 weeks followed by another D&C because of left over placenta and then this i think i will need another lap to see if it's even safe for me to try again. Im so lost i dont know what to do, if only i could talk to the dr it would make me feel so much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I just had the same thing I miscarried my baby at 8weeks Due to a synchronic tear whicH is when the placenta tears itself away the wall usually it's fine however my baby didn't get enough nutrients and I lost her/him. I had to have a D&C due to my body not explelling after 3weeks,during the surgery in their words (made a false passage) and had to complete the surgery using a ultrasound machine so they could see where they were going . I woke up in intense pain and got rushed for a scan to see if I had internal bleeding after which was given strong painkillers and got kept in hospital for two days to observe, I was told not try for another baby for atleast six months and just wanted to know if you's waited an everything went ok with the next pregnancy ?? I'm dying to try again but they said It could have serious complications if I tried again too soon. I'm worried that because of the scarring I might not b able to carry my next child to full term or if I could carry a child again at all. I would really like to hear success stories. I'm so upset and need to hear good news thx