+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I just wanted to share with you the results of my experiment?

I used to be addicted to television.

So did my ds...

It used to be on all the time basically from about three thirty pm to about ten thirty pm.

Then i went to stay with my mum for a little while (owners of rental property) wanted to move in.

While i was there,i dunno ,the need for tv just vanished.I am a single mum,i think i used to just watch tv to dull the lonliness i felt.

ANYWAY.We have moved in to aplace of our own about three weeks ago and i decided to start turning it off about 6-7 oclock.

And guess what.

We love it!!

No one screamimg at us to buy the ab flabber or the george foreman grill.No looking or hearing about people getting bumped off,raped or assualted.

I actually am reading to my ds,playing games with him,playing card games.

I have so much more time and feel so much more peaceful....

Just wondering what other hubbers think?

Would anyone else like to try my experiment?
    Last edited by sunnyflower; 27-09-2009 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good for you
    In our house the telly is ALWAYS on... but the crazy thing is that I get really frustrated with it because there is nothing on.
    I am turning it off now.
    Thanks for the push.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yay for no tv !!
    I couldn't get rid of tv completly. But sometimes I have a headache from listening to the box blaring so i just switch it off for even just an hour and i feel so much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started cutting down tv hours for my two a few months ago and we did more stuff together and it was great fun but i have to say that we have slipped a bit and they are watching a bit more tv again now.

Will have to get back to hardly any tv again - we all loved it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missing out on TV due to circumstances is a great way to break the addiction! LOL

I used to be a Shortland Street addict when I lived in NZ. I came to Oz on a 2wk holiday, and didn't see it during that time. By the time I got home, I was completely over it and haven't seen an episode since!

We used to have TV-free days, then TV-free weeks. Now I still watch it, but mainly after rugrat is in bed (aside from the news) and it's never on before 6pm. I've never really been a daytime TV addict and it seems a bit weird to me to think that someone would choose to shut themself inside and sit in front of a tele during the day, let alone inflict it on their kids, but sadly I know a few people who find this completely normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to have the telly on all day then one day i read about how it was not good for bubs to have the tv on - even if they weren't directly watching it - so the next day i kept it off.
    It was easier than i thought - i never really watched it anyway it was just for background noise and company i guess.
    That was months ago and i'm keeping it up - i do turn it on every now and again but it's never on all day anymore.
    I am so glad i made the change

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Good on you sunnyflower AND sunnymummy - and Clinya too!

I won't take your challenge as I barely watch TV as it is ... maybe 3 or 4 hours a week? When my shows are on, and even then, I get a bit annoyed if I have more than a couple to watch!

I grew up in a house where the TV was never on during the day, and that's just what seems natural to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have been doing the same thing for over a year and life has been great the kids watch tv in the morning abc but once we r up the tv goes off and they put it on for an hour in the aftyernoon abc again to unwind from school and thats it we have more time as a family and its great we watch family dvds and once the kids r in bed dh and i watch a movie together we dont miss the tv we use to watch so much but it was the best thing we did the kids are so much better as well without the noise always in the background and us saying shhhh all the time just so we can hear the tv
    life is great when your time is not controled by whats on tv

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have foxtel soon which is worse with all the kids channels - they love them too much :blush: