ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Jobs / Chores for kids

What jobs to you kids have around the house? How old are they? Did you discuss it with them and give them choices? Do they get pocket money? If so, how much and on what terms?

We are trying to reorganise our family at the moment and how things are done around our house. The kids have all stopped helping and their attitudes stink (sadly helped by being told by other adults in their life that they shouldn't do anything around the house). So we want to sit down with them and start fresh... but I want to be able to get some other ideas of what other kids are doing (bit of back up to be honest to the "no one else has to do that!).

Our kids are 9, 6 & 5. (Oh and 6 months but he can't quite clean up his own drool yet )

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have older kids but when I was growing up, we had a system that seemed to work for our family most of the time. We had a weekly chart and we alternated what our jobs were. One week we'd have 3 or 4 jobs to do and the next, they would change so we didn't get too p*##ed off at having to do the same job ALL the time. The jobs were:

Taking the rubbish out at the end of every day and putting the bins out on bin day.

Emptying the dishwasher every morning and stacking it every night and putting it on (could be washing dishes after dinner if you don't have one)

Helping make school lunches

Setting/clearing the table after meals (mostly we all did this ourselves and rinsed and put plates in the dishwasher)

Putting a load of washing on (only started doing this at 11 so your children are prob still a bit young!)

Helping put the clothes on the line/taking the clothes off the line

Helping with the weekly shopping - going with Mum and carrying bags and help put things away when we got home.

We also had pets so feeding the animals was another one. As my brother got older, he used to pick up the poo for extra $$.. I wasn't that desparate!

I think that was about all of the jobs that were rotated.. in addition, to get our pocket money ($10/week.. but in the late 80's - 90's.. so maybe $15???) we'd have to keep our room clean and bring our washing baskets to the laundry for Mum to wash and put clothes away.

I know the money sounds like a lot but we were not given money for anything like extra toys, entertainment, going to movies, out with friends, easter show anything like that... we were taught to save up and budget for these things. I am soooo grateful for that lesson!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I was growing up my Mum made a a sheet with a list of jobs for me to do. Every time I did the job I would colour a square in for the day I did it on. At the end of the week, the jobs were added up and I got paid accordingly. So the more times I did my jobs, the more I got for pocket money.

When I was about 7 I started wiping dishes, then went to packing and unpacking the diswashing.
    Got paid $1.50
    Walk the dog/s. Got paid $3
    Clean my room. Got paid $2
    Help with putting washing on the line and bringing it in. Got paid $1
    Setting the table for tea and clearing it Got paid $0.50
    Taking rubbish out. Got paid $0.50
    Wedding small patches of the garden. Mum would put two stakes in the ground and I weeded between them. Got paid $2-3 per patch

When I got to about 11-12 I learnt to do the ironing, vacuum and fold washing. I got about $2-$3 per chore.

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DD1 has money jobs and non money jobs.

her non money jobs are: clean her room, clean her bathroom, clean her desk, clean her computer desk, empty the dishwasher, set and clear the dinner table.

these are the jobs that she does as her contribution to being part of a family.

for money she has a list of other jobs.

She is expected to do the lounge every day. $2 if she doesn't need to be reminded. $1 is she gets reminded.

cleaning out the car $5, ironing by the item. she gets more for adults than baby items. pretty much anything that I want done and she is willing to negotiate for.

The set jobs and the lounge must be done. the others it is her choice if she does them for extra money or not.

DS and DD2. we pretty much get them to clean up their toys when they are finished playing. put their pyjamas back on their beds in the mornings after they are dressed. I am trying to teach DS to make his bed. just little things with them at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls are expected to pick up their toys etc after playing with them, they try their best at making their beds, put their lunchboxes and drink bottles in and out of their school bags, put their shoes away when they take them off and put dirty washing in the washing basket. They don't get money for those things. But they do go to after school activities.

Then pocket money wise they get nothing if they do nothing. There is no set things that they do. We will give them the option of doing something and they will know up front how much the job is worth. Could be anything from 10c to $2 per job depending on what it is. If they don't want to do the job then thats fine, they don't get the money and their sister or sisters can do it and get more money.

Veritas is offline Diversity has value.... How boring would the world be if everyone was just like you...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is only just 3 so we are nowhere near the point of paid chores or pocket money as yet, but she is already well versed in putting her dirty dishes on the sink, rubbish in the bin, dirty clothes in the basket and cleaning up her toys....

Responsibility is such an important thing to teach children, I can't believe you had adults telling your kids they should not be contributing.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 5 and she gets 20c for making her bed and 20c for drying the dishes (plastic stuff) and putting them away.

My mother told me i was a scruge but since doing this, she has learnt the value of money and that everything costs. She doesn't do it all the time but now she knows what gets done around here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my big ones are 7 and 11... the 11yo is currently weekend access only, so most of the chores fall to the 7yo, and we don't do pocket money for that reason, but give them a set amount of money when we "do something" eg go to the show or a theme park.

Chores are - clear table and fill dishwasher (every night)
    - empty dishwasher (every day - when both home, they take turns)
    - sort clean laundry (I only wash every two days)
    - fold towels and put away (only washed every two days)
    - empty rubbish bins (once a week before bin day)
    They also help DH once a week pick everything up before vacuuming
    Making their own lunch, packing and unpacking lunch boxes is required - if they don't do it, they don't eat.
    During holidays they do 1 chore a day (besides clearing the dinner table) - but if they misbehave, I find a random job for them to do (like emptying the kitchen bins or picking up toys)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD's normal chores include cleaning up her own mess after herself, packing things away she's been using, and her normal morning routine includes making her bed, making sure her breakfast dishes are on the sink, putting away the dishes from the night before (we leave things to air dry) and getting herself ready for the day, except she's still not allowed to brush her own teeth

She helps out with the washing, even puts a load on of an evening. She helps take the rubbish out, vacuums the floor from time to time when she's asked to, and these are all household chores she gets no "pay" from. Other jobs include cleaning out the car, hanging out the washing, and wiping over benches and other surfaces with the spray and wipe. These attract "pay" of either 50c or $1 per chore. They are extras she's not expected to do without getting some pocket money. She also must feed the dog and refill his water dish twice a day for no money, but she gets 50c for cleaning up his poops if he has an accident in the house. Yes, it's done right, she's in no danger of catching a disease before someone mentions it.

My mother also thinks she shouldn't be helping out, tells her it's not the job of the kids to keep the house running, but we used to have chores as kids, I think she's forgetting that