ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 26 eggs collected, only 5 fertilised. Any advice?

Hi
    I was soo excited yesterday when i had 26 eggs collected from my pickup.
    This morning the girls rang me and told me that only 5 had fertilised. I was soo upset.
    Can anyone offer me some advice????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there and congrats on your five that have fertilised. Dont beat yourself up about this. Both times I have had pickups only half the number fertilised. It only takes one good egg to make your miracle. With my first pregnancy we got eight eggs and only four of those were viable. Two were implanted and there was our son! We froze the other two and when we tried again only one thawed and we didnt fall pregnant from that. Our next pregnancy we had 16 eggs at pickup and only 9 were viable.

Keep positive and by no means does five mean its not going to work, if anything its good to know that you dont have 26 failed tries. You now have five wonderful chances of getting your miracle.

I wish you all the best on your journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep positive and by no means does five mean its not going to work, if anything its good to know that you dont have 26 failed tries. You now have five wonderful chances of getting your miracle.
    Well said!

I have also heard that the higher number of eggs retrieved the lower the number of mature or eggs that fertilise.

So if you maybe got 10 you may still have got 5 fertilised.

The more eggs you get dosnt allways mean more embryos.

Ive heard it said that quality is more important then quantity with an EPU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bellababy,

I understand your disappointment. I have recently been through my 1st round of IVF where 13 eggs were collected and was called the next day to say only 3 had fertilised. I was devastated.
    I guess you go into your EPU with an idea of how many eggs are going to be collected and you know that the general statistics are that 70% will fertilise..... To hear this was not the case for you is then very upsetting. Things had been going so well for me (almost textbook) up until this point and I found I got a bit comfortable and just thought everything would go to plan. That was a hard lesson for me, but I have now learned that on this IVF journey absolutely nothing is predictable and you have to be prepared that things can fall over at so many different stages along the way.

Out of my 3 embryos that fertilised only 2 made it to day 2. Unfortunately they did not progress well either so I had both transferred on day 2 but sadly ended up with a negative result.

I am gearing up for round 2 of IVF in October and will be having ICSI next time to hopefully assist the fertilisation rate. My FS explained to me that often the first round of IVF is a fact finding exercise so not to be too disappointed and believe that this is going to happen.

As the other responses have said, it only takes one embryo to get you to that BFP so don't be disheartened, one of those little fighters might just be the one!
    Hang in there and I wish you all the success on your journey.

Me 31, DH 38, DS 4 (natural)
    TTC # 2 for 2 years 6 months
    IUI x 2 - BFN
    1st IVF Aug 09 BFN
    2nd IVF Oct 09

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    bellababy76 it is hard to accept the news when your expectations may ahve been a little higher.

I recommend you contact the embryologist to find out why most of them did not fertilise.

26 is a HUGE number of eggs but that does not mean that all were suitable to be fertilised.

Some or most may have been immature. Generally when so many eggs are collected quality may be affected. The sperm may have had issues - DNA fragmentation.

However the journey is not over. You currently have 5 embies and they are going to be super dooper embies that will turn into your miracle bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bellababy,
    As Sodor said, congrats on 5 embies!! that is 5 chances of making you a beautiful baby.

I know how you feel though, my first round of IVF, we fertilised the best 10 eggs and only 1 took. we had it put back in at day 2, and got a BFN.

For our next round, we retrieved 13 eggs. This time we used ICSI, and still only 4 fertilised. I was devastated, the scientist had said that the eggs were good, and DH's sample was good, but we just have a problem with fertilisation.

the good news is that all 4 made it to day 5, we had one put back in, and I am now waiting for my bub to arrive (it is currently 7 days overdue!!!)

So stay positive, it is better to have a handful of really good embies than stacks of mediocre ones...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello there. As everyone has said, it really does only take one.
    You should still be very excited about having 5 fertilised eggs, thats a fabulous number!

Thats 5 chances!

My last egg collection resulted in one fertilised egg and viola! Turned out he was a stayer!

I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
    The scientist rang me this afternoon and told me that another one had fertilised, so that makes 6. He said he is going to leave the others overnight and see what happens with the rest of them and give me an update on Friday (Day3).
    Hearing stories of success with low numbers make me feel better, maybe my expectations were a little high given the large number of eggs collected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bellababy,

I was really dissapointed after my first cycle where i got 16 eggs and 3 fertilised, only one of those was good enough to Transfer. My FS told me not to get hung up on the numbers.
    The second cycle i got 40 eggs and 13 fertilised so a better result, we ended up with 6 frozen out of that cycle, i am still waiting for my BFP but hope that one of the 5 remaining will be the one.

Try not to let it get you down, the main thing is that you have 5-6 fertilised and hopefully you will have a couple of freeze. IVF is very much trial and error with the drugs etc.

Good luck!!
    Lissy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had my 5day blastocyst transferred in today...now the waiting game...fingers crossed!
    Will find out tommorow if there are any suitable for freezing