ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds like a nice gesture Shepherd. Is she into having her toes and nails done? I don't think it's inappropriate - was just wondering though - is it typical to have a baby shower for all your babies? I thought most people only had one for their first? Maybe she's not even expecting gifts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, we don't expect 2 presents. A visit in hospital, a shoulder to cry on with the 3rd day baby blues, and a damn good coffee/tea and a chat is all I'd expect (although I'd settle for just a good cuppa tea and a chat!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
    Hope you don't mind OP I just wanted to tag on a question of my own that is a little similar. I am going to a baby shower on Saturday and because I know the mum has loads of stuff from her previous babys I was thinking of getting a gift for her. A voucher to get her toes and nails done afterward. Its just a though...is this odd? I thought it might be a nice gesture but not sure if it is inappropriate.
    I did this for my cousin - a leg and foot massage. She had been complaining of sore feet so I thought it would be appropriate and she loved it!
    Then once she'd had the baby, I made a little hamper for the baby = less on shower, more after

But, at another baby shower I went to, I gave a hamper for the bub at the shower, because I knew I probably wouldnt see them for awhile after bub was born = so I spent more for the shower, less for after birth

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Similar situation.

Hello!

I am in a similar situation, where I don't know what to do with gifts.

Last Saturday I went to a baby shower and gave the mum a present but now one of the girls from the office is trying to get all of us to tip in for a group present. . .!!! Not only I already gave the parents a gift of my own but also, her idea is just a gift card and she wants us to give even more than I paid for the other gift!

Should I join them or politely decline because I already gave something?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do the big gift (if there is a 'big' one) at the shower. And generally clothes, flowers, etc after the birth.

Also I wouldn't be giving big gifts at the hospital either. I found it hard enough a. Fit myself, DD and our things in our room & b. Wouldve Found it hard enough to get ourselves to the car & home without the highchair, ride on pony & 2 big bouquets :eyes: lol

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    After DS I think I'd prefer a gift at the shower than when bubs is born. Maybe a card after the actual birth? Keep in mind that anything you take the the hospital for first visits has to be carried home.
    I had so much stuff we had to make two trips to the car lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a shower and made it clear that I was not expecting gifts at all (silly I know, being that it was a shower lol) and certainly not expecting a second gift after the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by agj5 View Post
    Hello!

I am in a similar situation, where I don't know what to do with gifts.

Last Saturday I went to a baby shower and gave the mum a present but now one of the girls from the office is trying to get all of us to tip in for a group present. . .!!! Not only I already gave the parents a gift of my own but also, her idea is just a gift card and she wants us to give even more than I paid for the other gift!

Should I join them or politely decline because I already gave something?

Thanks.
    You have already seen the mum and given your gift....If it were me I would tell the person at teh office you have already given your gift but thanks for the offer. You can also say if you had of known that a gift card was going to be organised you would have pitched in then.

I never had a baby shower with any of mine....but people did buy some things. Personally I never expected a gift and if someone gave a little something then it was a nice surprise.

I certainly dont think you need to give two gifts!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

agj5  (24-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my SIL had her baby I gave her gifts at the shower (clothes and bedlinen and a nursing necklace), then a 'big' gift from both me and my husband (piece of their nursery furniture and a nappy disposal unit) at their house, then I also brought gifts to the hospital (teddy bear from Germany, hamper of stuff for bub, and voucher for mum to have a massage).

In hindsight, we should have given everything to them at the shower. I ended up spending a fortune because I felt I had to give something at each occasion - and after the birth she was so exhausted I don't think she really noticed the gifts - we didn't get a thank you or anything.

My reasoning (maybe silly) was that if I took our truckload of gifts to the shower I would embarrass people who had only brought one gift - the reason we were giving so much was that she is my SIL, not just a friend.