+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Alcohol and Pregnancy

Did anyone have a drink or two during their pregnancy? I dont mean every night, but I enjoy having one light beer a week. My partner and I always eat out, and once a week I allow myself that treat.

Im a huge red wine drinker and have found it very hard to give up, but a light beer is a satisfying subsitute - i feel a bit better about 2.8% alchohol than 13% alcohol.

Just wanting peoples opinions and feedback on what they did

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

I also faced a similar situation to you - I love my wine! After reading an article about FAS I decided against any form of alcohol during my pregnancy, except one glass of red at the very end at the suggestion of the midwives to help kick start labour (which didn't work!). However, I think that you have to do whatever makes you feel comfortable and if you feel OK having a light beer then enjoy it. I would just say make sure you are aware of the risks so you can make an informed decision.

razzle is offline FORUM MANAGER~ Always watching...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In maybe the first half of my pregnancy I had the odd celebratory/social glass (or 2) but then I just kinda went off it. I was a regular drinker beforehand - we'd have a glass of wine with dinner 5 nights out of 7. Now, unfortunately, I can't seem to stomach huge amounts, one glass is plenty and that only happens in a blue moon. Weird. I don't miss it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was pregnant with my son I drank half a glass of wine once and it made me sick. Before I knew I was pregnant with this one I went to a bar with some friends and had a few. It made me horribly sick, but not drunk. So because of that I try to stay away from even the occasional drink when preggo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a glass of wine once a week. Have done with all my pregnancies. I find it's a nice way to relax after what is as exhausting week. I told all my obstetrician's and they said that quantity is totally fine and that sometimes, if you're tired and stressed wtih pregnancy, a glass of wine has more benefits than deterrants. Fortunately, one glass does me in, so any more wouldn't be an option anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Beer Drinker

I used to be a big beer drinker before I fell pregnant. But once I was pregnant I only had a beer on a rare occassion. After awhile being pregnant I couldn't be bothered drinking at all. Now DD is nearly 9 months old I still don't feel like drinking. Don't have the stamina like I used to before I was pregnant. But now if I have a few I seem to get drunk very quickly and takes me ages to get over a hang over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prefer a red wine to a white.

Sometimes I have said to hubby to pour me 1/3 of a glass if we have something nice like a roast or a steak for dinner, but all I generally have is a couple of sips, almost just enough to wet my lips, then leave it.

I've pretty much gone right off it, I just don't want it anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Yes, but little

Hi
    We were also big wine drinkers, say two glasses with dinner about 3 times/week. However, once I was pg, I reduced my intake to about a third of a glass 3 times / week. When I had my first app with my OB, he was running through the routine questions and asked about alch. When I told him what I was doing, he scolded me a little and suggested that I lay off until "at least week 16" (when most of the organs are pretty much in place - I guess). But he was a v conservative doc, I've heard others not bat an eyelid at that level of intake. It just depends on what you feel comfortable with, there is no level at which a doc can tell you that its 100% safe to indulge (which makes sense, because every woman and foetus is different, and alch will have different effects on different people)

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may only be applicable to SA residents, however Coopers make an alcohol free beer called 'Birrell', which you can buy at the supermarket. At first I was a bit sceptical, but it is actually quite nice, and very similar to beer - but doesnt really quench your thirst the way a nice cold beer does. Ive even thought about mixing half of one of those, with half a coopers light....
    There is also another alcohol free beer called Clausthaler from Germany, but has less taste than Birrell. I have heard of others but think they may only be in the 'better' cities such as Sydney and Melbourne.

I just wish there was a substitute for a nice bottle of red!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i quite often enjoyed a glass of wine when pregnant with DS and again in this pregnancy. i dont believe the occasional glass of wine or light beer has much ill effect on bubs.

Certainly like many others i cannot stomach quite as much as i used to be able to !!