• ERGObaby USA are currently trying to stop the counterfeits at the manufacturing source – they have already located one factory in China but suspect there may be more.
• Both ERGObaby USA and Babes in Arms are in daily contact with eBay to have the fake listings removed.
• IP legal advice is currently being sought to deal with this issue in a more permanent way.
MAIN SAFETY CONCERNS FOR CONSUMERS
The counterfeit ERGOs may pose a safety hazard due to inferior materials and/or workmanship. Of course, no warranty protection is offered with respect to counterfeit products.
• Counterfeit ERGOs are made with inferior material and parts – particularly the buckles!
• Fake ERGOs are not product tested for safety
• Are not covered by any Product Insurance
• Product Warrantee does not cover counterfeits
• Not likely to comply with US lead-free criteria
HOW TO PICK A RIP-OFF ERGO:
• Fabric feels different
• Waist band and shoulder strap padding is thinner
• Warning label is smaller and located on the body of the carrier, instead of being on the waist band
• number and quality of hood snaps is different
• buckles are different, especially the chest/shoulder strap buckles
• zipper pull of the rear pocket does not have the ERGO logo
• box packaging is completely different, yet ERGO photos and information are used
• some listings include Suck Pads and Infant Inserts (mainly using the old critter print linings)
• DVD is included
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
28-08-2009 06:05 #1
Fake ERGO Baby Carrier warning
28-08-2009 06:33 #2
Seems like the ERGO producers are concerned because they are missing out on a slice of the market. I have seen the "fakes" mentioned, and I actually own a real one and have to say that for they are pretty comparitable.
28-08-2009 09:57 #3
i think actually ergo are more concerned about the fact that these particular fakes are being passed off as real ergos. consumers are buying what they think is an ergo when in fact its a fake.
i dont think it has to do with missing out on a slice of the market, not at all
28-08-2009 13:45 #4
Yeah, Ergo have every right make a fuss over products being sold as Ergos, particularly if they're poorly manufactured. Its probably got more to do with reputation than maintaining a corner on the market. If you bought a faulty product that you believed was an Ergo then that can seriously damage their repuation.
I dont have a problem with copying an idea though and branding it as your own, providing its a unique product so not to effect patenting and copy write, because obviously if someone is copying an ergo seam for seam then thats wrong also because Ergo have gone to the time and expense to design that product and surely they've patented they're patterns!
I was looking at a ergo style carrier, made in china, but decided against it because I cant trust that it meets safety standards, but no where on that product or advertising did it say the word Ergo - and there were a few visible differences (though clever patenters patent various of their original design so someone cant come along and just move the seams 1cm IYKWIM.
By Adalita in forum Natural / Attachment ParentingReplies: 9Last Post: 12-12-2012, 09:34
By march2013 in forum Product Recommendations & QuestionsReplies: 23Last Post: 29-11-2012, 22:24
By mum2z in forum Natural / Attachment ParentingReplies: 5Last Post: 30-12-2011, 18:56
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...
LATESTWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at homeGuide to government family benefit payments
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Would you breastfeed in public?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
How long would you leave your 8 (almost 9) year old at home alone?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
2.5yo hitting/pushing (possible ASD)Discipline & behaviour
Show me your lunchbox 2017!!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
Adelaide Hubbers #2Adelaide
The Not So Serious Vent Thread #7General Chat