+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default CGH in Australia yet?

Hello,
    Having just finished our supposedly last cycle, I have to come to the conclusion that our seemingly perfect embryos are really just duds. CGH might just give us some answers and be worth doing another cycle for. We have had 9 embryos transferred, have taken clexane and prednisone and aspirin incase of any immune issues but they just don't implant. Does anyone know of any clinics in Australia doing CGH?
    Shimmy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Shimmy,
    I don't have an answer for you but wanted to give you a and let you know I am thinking of you - so sorry that you are having to go through this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shimmy, what is CGH, what does it stand for? I am not familiar with this acronym?

is this the colorado protocol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a more advanced type of pgd. Current pgd is very limited and only recognises a small number of defects. CGH (Comparative Genomic Hybridization) is far more advanced at identifying chromosomally normal embryos. In fact the sher institute in the states is so confident in their new technology that they are offering a money back guarantee on it...interesting!

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2009/03/05/46609.aspx

I just found this on Monash's website....so perhaps they are considering it?

A new technique called comparative genomic hybridisation (CGH) has been used a US IVF group to screen eggs for chromosomal errors that cause embryos to be non-viable. In a trial of 41 women (average age of 37.5) they have achieved a 74% pregnancy rate by only transferring embryos with normal chromosomes. In routine IVF practice, we use the FISH technique on a single cell biopsied from a day 3 embryo to analyse 8 of the 23 chromosomes that are commonly involved in spontaneous miscarriage. The potential advantage of CGH over FISH is that it has the ability to screen all 23 chromosomes. In its current form, CGH is an expensive technique to perform and the cost of screening an average cohort of 10 eggs would currently far exceed the cost of an IVF cycle in Australia. Further, the reliability and accuracy of CGH has not been rigorously tested and thus there may be cycles where embryos have either no results or inconclusive results, confounding decisions about the best embryo(s) to transfer. While the initial CGH trial holds promise, a randomised control trial of FISH versus CGH on a large number of patients will be essential to determine whether the new technique offers a real benefit in higher take home baby rates.

And thanks Jess...I got those hugs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    from me too! I just feel it in my bones that IVF isnt over for you just yet.

Investigating your options is a great thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow we were going to look at PGD for our next stim cycle (5, IVF cycle 14) we have had a total of 28 embies TF and have suffered 5mc. will discuss with my FS at Monash next week!

will let you know how i get on

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an old thread , but thought people might be interested.
    The answer now Dec 2011 is that yes CGH is available in Australia at Genea (formerly Sydney IVF). Still a relatively new technique, but startling results to date.
    My FS has suggested we consider this for our next IVF /ICSI cyle if the two frosties lead to m/c.
    Not sure if it is available at other clinics but think it might be.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, this seems to be an old thread but to clarify - i am with Genea and they have been doing CGH for around 2 years, they were the first clinic in the world to develop this technique. I believe IVF Australia have started using this technique now as well.

We too will be doing a CGH cycle if our frosty’s don’t work, The CGH success rates are very impressive. Although it is a significant additional cost (Around $6500) on top of standard cycle fee and there is no Medicare rebate available on the CGH component.