+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone had an operation with a young baby to look after?

I've finally got up the courage to reschedule my op (had to cancel on the day it was scheduled cause I got a ) and DP has cleared his schedule to come with me, but we're not sure about DS. My options are to have DP look after him at the hospital while he waits, leave him with a family member, or have that family member come to the hospital to act as a nanny so I can still be with him before and after but there won't be the pressure of DP trying to keep him happy while being there to support me.

So, has anyone been in this situation,and what did you do?

DS is still fully breastfed, so he may take issue with being near me and not being able to feed (although we've trialled him on EMB and he'll take it from me with no probs, so this might not be anissue).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my gall bladder removed when my DD2 was 8 days old. I was lucky enough to have my mum come to stay and look after both DD's. I chose to do this because I felt it would have been too much on DH to occupy them in the hospital and that the girls would be more comfortable in their own environment. I was BFing (as well as formula due to gall stone attacks and medication given for them) I had expressed as much as I could in the days leading up and thankfully she took the bottles of EBM/formula no probs.
    I was only in overnight, so it didn't cause too much disruption for anyone.

HTH and good luck with your op

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my gallbladder out when DS was 5 weeks old. I was in hospital for 5 days before surgery and came home the day after surgery.

DH looked after DS through the day and worked at night while FIL watched DS.

By this stage, DS wasn't breastfed though due to the gallbladder attacks and lack of milk production so that wasn't an issue for us.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I had a D+C for removal of retained placenta when DD was 18 weeks old.

I was told to pump-and-dump one feed, and then go back to breastfeeding DD. She refused the breast for 2 weeks after the operation (I managed to keep BFing her - but she fought me all the way!), I believe because of the initial taste of the anaesthetic in my milk. Aside from that, I didn't have a lot of pain, and the little pain I did have was managed very well with panadol and ibuprofen, so I didn't have that aspect of recovery.

DH and I went to the hospital with DD, so I could feed her immediately before I went into surgery. We didn't have anybody else supporting us, but DH managed fine. He and she were there to greet me first thing when I woke up, which was the best thing for me - and him having DD to look after while I was under kept him distracted enough not to be worried about me (although it was a minor procedure, and quick too - I think I was gone for 20 or 30 minutes).

My DH was home with me near-constantly post-surgery, and I needed it - a general anaesthetic makes me very groggy and fatigued for several days after it.

Hope it all goes smoothly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an op when DD was 3 months old. She took EBM from the bottle. Bubs can be very adaptable at this early age if they need to be. If I had to stay overnight they said they could arrange a crib for her and neeDY could stay because I would have had a private room. That was in a public (RPA) hospital as a private patient. Check with the hospital as they should assist if you are breastfeeding. I ended up going home at 9.00pm so didn't have to worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. :-)

Tam, yours sounds most similar to what we're probably going to do.... it's a 45 min op (maybe a bit longer as I've asked for an extra small procedure to be done while I'm under) and now that you point it out, it'll be good for DS to distract DP while I'm in theatre. I have a huge phobia about general anaesthetic, so I'm hoping having DS with me will distract me in the lead up to going in, otherwise I'd be working myself up into a panic over it.

I'm booked in for 3 wks time, so I have plenty of time to build up my stock of EBM, and apparently 12 hours is long enough to wait before feeding again from the breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am having an Op tomorrow, both DS and DD will be with my folks just because there is a chance I may have to stay overnight so I would rather have them settled at home just incase. So DH will be with me. Its going to be weird it will be the first time I have been away from them for a whole day since DS was born.

If I only had one bub I would probably take him particularly as you are breastfeeding, good distration for both of you.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did it a few weeks ago.

Because my op was at 2pm, the kids had to stay home from school. So he had to look after all 6.

I fed ds (he was 3mths) before I went in. Dh took everyone to the park to play, when I came out, I was in recovery and having to deal with pain and they were stablising that for me. Then dh came and brought ds into recovery for me to feed, then they wheeled me still holding my son out onto the ward.

It was stressful but we did it. We don't have family support so we really didn't have much choice but to just cope with it.

The doctors did say that some people like to pump and dump the first feed after the op...but I didn't. I think he was a littly restless due to the drugs in my system, but ultimately he went fine and the op went well