+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nuchal Translucency Results

Hi everyone

I have been waiting 2 weeks for my NT results - and have been told that I have to wait another week! The ultrasound results have already been sent to my doctor, however the blood is still waiting to be tested at the hopsital.

Is this a normal period to wait?

Also, I noticed on my little report card after the scan, that the thickness at the back of the neck was 1.2mm. I know the results need to be combined with the blood test, but is this a normal reading?

I would appreciate peoples feedback on their results. by the way - I'm 28.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't believe you had to wait. The doctor doing mine took the measurement, scurried off to a computer in another room, and came back and told me within 10 minutes. I'm 39, and have a 1:404 chance according to the NT alone - it's about equivalent to the risk at age 33 without testing.

I was supposed to have a CVS, but they could not do it because of position of the placenta, so now I'm off for an amnio in 2.5 weeks. Seeing I am having an amnio, my OB said there is little point in getting the blood work done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this site:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/544491.html#3

It has pictures of normal NT scans, and states normal NT maximum measurements for different gestational ages, and explains the logic behind it.

I hope it helps answer some of your questions. I'd be going nuts if I'd had to wait two weeks for the NT results.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nt

To further explain the situation:- this is what happened on the day of my NT scan and why I'm losing faith in the medical system quickly:

-turned up for the scan with referral from GP
    - they said I couldnt have the scan because the GP hadnt filled out a form to specifically request the NT test, even though i had a referral.
    - sat around for 15 minutes waiting for them to decide whether I could have the scan
    - after scan told me that I had to go straight back to my doctor and have the blood test (even though they could have taken blood there and then)
    - then I was told that I could have the blood taken there, all the details were filled out and I was told that I would have the results in a week
    - rang the doctor a week later - no results
    - rang the ultrasound place - they told me to ring somewhere else, who told me that the results would be sent to the GP
    - rang the GP a week later, still no results, so they rung the ultrasound place who said I NEVER had the blood test taken
    - blood was eventually tracked down to a hospital at the other side of town, and was told that the results will be another week.

I'm wondering who I complain to????? and who the hell would I sue if my blood was lost and god forbid, the baby was abnormal because I wasnt given a choice.
    does blood go off? how can they test it 3 weeks after its been taken?

I am 50% happy knowing that my NT measurement at 13 weeks was 1.2mm, but its just not on that its taking this long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry to hear of all the runaround you have been through. I also was given grief by the health system - ironically it gave me more stress than anything else - thank goodness I had a wonderful pregnancy.

I too had a test go missing (my 20 week ultrasound), and they also asked if I was sure if I had had it done!!! <Gee, I dunno, with all these hormones, I guess it would be more likely that I had forgotten one of the most amazing experiences of my life, rather than the hospital stuffing something up!> This was just one of many administrative errors that happened to me.

In the end I changed from GP led care to midwife led care, and I got a good friend who had already had children to come with my husband and I for the birth - I had lost my faith in the hospital. (If I felt there was a better hospital nearby I would have changed hospitals too). If you start feeling the same way, I would heartily recommend this, or find a doula (a woman who supports women during pregnancy, birth and postnatally) - it is important for you and your baby that you aren't unnecessarily stressed during this special time.

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and you can find health care professionals you can trust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should be able to ring the pathology company who drew the blood, and complain/get some action that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my NT results straight after I had the scan even though I was in there for two hours. I had to have my done 3-5 days prior to NT scan to get best results. Had the scan done 5 days later bloods came back normal unfortunately NT was 3mm thick and a heart problem, at my age (40) I am 1/157 chance of downs, I am booked for another ultrasound in 10 days and an amnio after that then another agonising 2-2 1/2 weeks wait for the results.