ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yees I have.

Just this week. A mother screamed at her son to get the f#$@ up.

EEEEK.

DH is a yeller but not negative.
    he yells...good work
    beautiful pass
    brilliant try..

He asks Ds if he should shh but DS says he loves DH yelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep.

My 8 year old plays rugby league and some of the absolutely disgusting behavior I have witnessed would shock anyone.
    One mother applauded her son when he punched a child on our team because he had tackled him.
    One child (same game) knocked one of our boys out cold by throwing the ball at his head at full force.
    The parents (mothers were the worst) then abused the ref. the ref (all of 15yrs old) called the game off 10 minutes early because he wasn't going to deal with that.

Absolutely disgusting behavior but sadly, those feral parents didn't give a sh!t and are just serving to breed the next generation of thugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabusymum View Post
    DH is a yeller but not negative.
    he yells...good work
    beautiful pass
    brilliant try..

He asks Ds if he should shh but DS says he loves DH yelling.
    my sister is like that with my nephew, but he doesn't like it now that he is 13

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzaaa View Post
    my sister is like that with my nephew, but he doesn't like it now that he is 13

hahaha I bet he doesnt!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Yep.

My 8 year old plays rugby league and some of the absolutely disgusting behavior I have witnessed would shock anyone.
    One mother applauded her son when he punched a child on our team because he had tackled him.
    One child (same game) knocked one of our boys out cold by throwing the ball at his head at full force.
    The parents (mothers were the worst) then abused the ref. the ref (all of 15yrs old) called the game off 10 minutes early because he wasn't going to deal with that.

Absolutely disgusting behavior but sadly, those feral parents didn't give a sh!t and are just serving to breed the next generation of thugs.
    but what p!sses me off is that the ARL do nothing about it, the AFL junior league is much less tolerant to this sort of behaviour, not saying it doesn't happen but there are more sanctions for the parent, the child and even the whole team

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Umm What is so abusive about getting your child to meditate?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I coach a netball team and I have heard the works. The girls I coach are 13/14 years old, it's not overly competitive, but my goodness me!

One parent on the other team told his daughter to "trip the fat girl" (the 'fat girl' being my Wing Defense player who is the loveliest girl I know!)

Just this weekend past I was privvy to a lovely display of abuse towards an Aboriginal girl on my team from another team member.

One coach of another team laughed hysterically every time my girls missed a shot

I could go on. My girls have lost every single game this season but they enjoy playing, I am not playing them to win I am playing them to give them experience so sometimes I will put a Goal Defense player in a shooting role to let her try out the position - it's not about winning, or it shouldn't be. I am proud of my team, they play well, they are good sportswomen and they play fair (was so proud when my goal shooter relinquished the ball to the other team on the weekend because she admitted the ball had come off her foot even though the ball was called in our favour )

I think it's really sad. I always clap when the other team scores, I always make an effort to congratulate them even when they down us 20 points to 4, I always thank the umpire and the other coach and yet I always seem to have another coach who laughs at my girls or encourages his to play dirty tactics.

I mean, it's just a game!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on what age group and also the kid.

I play soccer (only at club level but we are pretty passionate about it) and I PREFER to have someone on the sideline or even team players on the feild yelling out at me. It means that I can tell whats going on i.e. if a player is catching up when the chase is on.
    Also at my age (25), I think it's expected to put the best team forward (within reason, no body wants to play with absolutely no game time). At younger ages, it's all about getting in there, learning, giving it a go and having fun. I once coached a mod-ball side of girls and a father complained because he thought his daughter should have more game time because she was way better than the rest. Now, she was a reasonable player but everyone had their time on the bench, and it really wasn't called for. If parents keep going on like this- there'll be no parents volunteering to coach any of our kids sports!

I think encouragement is good at any level but there's a fine line between encouraging and abusing. Cheering for your team (you childs team) is good but abusing about why they didn't get the goal or hit the ball hard enough is not good!

Last weekend, we played a team of older ladies (our team is quite young, I'm the 3rd oldest), and they were disgraceful. One yellow card because of a late tackle, and our goalie almost got knocked out because of another late tackle (which did not result in a yellow card but definately should have). All these all in brawls on football matches has really made me think about what I would do in that situation if it were me. Would I stand up for my team mates and defend them or would I grab my child and get out of there. An all in brawl is not something I want him seeing- it would scare the living daylights out of him but than, most our players are fairly petite little 16yr olds and they really wouldn't hurt a fly.
    I also very much disagree with swearing on the feild- I mean, that is NOT something I want DS to hear.
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 19-08-2009 at 08:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd really like it if my kids did sports and I am worried about stuff like this. I hope parents that are abusive at sports events realise that by being that way their children will probably grow up hating sport. To me its not about winning or losing its about having fun, making friends, being part of a team etc especially when you're just a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppaH View Post
    Umm What is so abusive about getting your child to meditate?
    There is nothing abusive about meditating, but getting your child to meditate to imagine winning for an hour is a bit much IMO. What ever happened to teaching your children about playing as hard and as fair as you can, be the best you can be, but you don't have to win - sure it is nice every now and then but it isn't the be all and end all of everything. I think that some parents live vicariously through their children or put too much pressure on their children to win.