+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Exclamation Advice needed what should I do ... Im back at work.

I am back at work already I have a 12 week old baby.
    He is 4 and a bit weeks corrected.

I went back a few weeks ago and expressing is just not working, I dont get out enough so I started last week to give him a bottle of formula when Im at work and just before bed at night..

Because between 12am and 7 am he was waking up to be fed about 4 times. It was killing me..

Now though when I fed him its like I dont have enough milk to settle him. This was never a problem before.

What should I do should I just stop and put him on full formula??

If not how do I go about this... I am confused and its exhausting me..

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I went back a few weeks ago and expressing is just not working, I dont get out enough so I started last week to give him a bottle of formula when Im at work and just before bed at night..

Comping with formula is not going to improve your supply.

Because between 12am and 7 am he was waking up to be fed about 4 times. It was killing me..

Sounds like he is trying to boost your supply whenever he can, have you thought about trying to co-sleep? this would help you to boost your supply and also help him to get in extra milk.

Now though when I fed him its like I dont have enough milk to settle him. This was never a problem before.

I would suggest going to the pharmacy to get some Fenugreek tablets (herbal) to help boost your supply- they are marketed as a cold relief but also work to boost your supply. And I would make as appointment to see a lactation consultant who might recommend prescription medication. Also make sure your drinking enough and maintaining a good diet.

What should I do should I just stop and put him on full formula??

IMO? No, I would fight teeth and nails to maintain my breastfeeding relationship.

If not how do I go about this... I am confused and its exhausting me..

You can do this

Check out the ABA website for more info http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html

2girls&1angelboy is offline Has 3 very special people in my life my 2 girls & my angel baby boy xxx
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i started back at work when my DD2 was 4 months we only finished feed almost 3 months ago, try the fenugreek i havent tried them but hears alot of people say gd things about them the more u try to express the beteer and whenever u can actually feed even better try taking a pic of ur bub with u when u express to help with let down i expressed every 2 hours to start with.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I already co sleep, have so since he came home from hospy.

But yeah I will have a look at the site..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would try to increase your supply.

I also returned to work (part time) when my son was very young, and I found my supply waxed and waned depending on whether I was stressed at work etc.

The things I found helped were:
    - drinking loads of water (I think I was drinking about 4L a day when he was younger)
    - having oat milk with my cereal
    - having a shake with brewer's yeast and oat milk (variation on the lactation cookies)
    - resting as much as possible at night
    - expressing regularly throughout the day - for a normal work day, I would express at around 7.30am, 10.30am, 12.30pm, 3pm, and then feed the baby when I got home at about 6pm.

JadeyBaby2 is offline <---- who's the naughty one in this family!!??
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All great advice given above and I agree with all said - however just thought I would throw in that sometimes things become too much and too stressful. You are important too and if this is putting too much strain on you and you would have a better stress free Mother / Baby relationship by going with complete formula feeding then that is what I would do. Of course breast is best etc, but just saying under the circumstances it might be better all round for you to FF. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i went back only part time with DD at 10 weeks but i used to comp feed with no worries and still BF her untill she self weaned when her baby brother was born'try the fengreek it worked a treat for me
    also the lactation cookies are good
    but try not to stress if you feel like giving him a bottle than give him one but dont give up on breast feeding unless you want to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a private question , no need to answer, are the mothers here back at work sooo soon to make ends meet? Or because you may loose you job? It strikes my heart strings that babies are left at such a young and impressionable age without their mommies around I am not judging anyone just curious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonnscotty View Post
    Just a private question , no need to answer, are the mothers here back at work sooo soon to make ends meet? Or because you may loose you job? It strikes my heart strings that babies are left at such a young and impressionable age without their mommies around I am not judging anyone just curious?
    financial reasons for me. and to be able to clear debts so that we can have another baby and when we have the 2nd child, i'll be able to stay home. i don't want to go back, but i'd rather go back with 1 child than when i have 2 or more. also, we get NO government benefits. (only the baby bonus)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Full Moon, where is your baby while you're at work?

If at home with a grandparent or you partner, can someone bring the baby to you on a regular basis. that way the bub can have a feed and you won't have to express as much, this is especially important as your baby is still so young. At 4.5 weeks adjusted it is possible that your supply is not fully regulated and any separation is going to be a problem.

can you take your baby to work? Being so young, can bub hang out in your office? can you negotiate a work from home deal so that less time is at the office and more time with bub.

I would take anything beeded to boost your supply, but the best way is to have bub near, so try to work out a way for that to happen.