+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mum fined for grieving too long *possibly distressing*

How horrible for them to impose such a fee Poor mum and family
    Mum fined for grieving too long

By staff writers
    NEWS.com.au
    August 04, 2009 05:41pm

• Mum tells dead son not to be scared
    • Fined by officials for taking too long
    • Fine later refunded

A GRIEVING mother was fined £86 ($173) for spending too long at her son's tiny coffin before it was taken away for cremation.

Terrie Rouse, 32, said her grief turned to shock when officials told her she had taken too long to say goodbye, The Daily Mail reported.

"The vicar had asked if I would like to spend a bit more time saying goodbye," she said.

"I sat by the coffin for 10 minutes, telling my son how much we loved him and begging him not to be scared."

Officials at the crematorium, run by a local English council, impose an extra charge if any funeral runs over its 30-minute slot.

However, the couple's funeral directors said there was plenty of time for the next funeral which was not due to take place for another 50 minutes.

Miss Rouse’s partner, Lee Smythe, said the fee was "sick and disgusting".

"Terrie was weeping hysterically,’ he said.

"She just wanted a few extra minutes to say goodbye to our much-loved little boy."

The couple’s son, Zane, died at five weeks from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome on April 9.

The family waited three months before they could have a funeral to allow for tests to be carried out.

"It was distressing enough having to wait for the funeral because we were left in limbo, but this has just made it all worse," Mr Smythe said.

"If we had over-run by 30 minutes and had held up proceedings for other people I would understand but this was ten minutes. I really feel like the bosses are taking liberties."

A council spokesman apologised for making the extra fee.

"We understand that sometimes more time may be preferred and so families are offered the chance to book extra time if they need it,’ he said.

"This means when funerals that have not taken up this option over-run, a fee is automatically charged.

"However, when we learned that there were extenuating circumstances we, of course, refunded the extra charge."
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...61-401,00.html

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They reversed the extra charge.. and hopefully it will help change the system for future bereaved parents..

I will never forget the image of my BIL trying to throw himself into the tiny grave for our beautiful angel Niece..

there simply is NEVER enough time to say something you should NEVER have to say.. Goodbye to your child..

to anyone struggling..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that would be fairly unusual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is disgusting - my DH is a Funeral Director and his employers would never do something like that...

Thanks
    Reviews

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    that is disgusting. How dare thse poeple impose a time limit of saying goodbye. Surely there is something they can do if this situation arises again.

Glad the fine was reversed, but seriously I can't believe that no thought was used in the first place. Can you imagine the thougth process ... OK going to write out this fine now to the parents whose child died, I mean what on Earth would that person have been thinking?? Surely not that the parents deserved it?

To those poor parents

to the council idiots