+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all!!

About time I joined this thread (plus I'm getting so behind on the other thread that I don't recognise many of the names anymore!)

I can't believe just how much time a baby takes and I think we're lucky! She will do 4-hourly feeds with encouragement, but I'm doing 3-3.5 hourly during the day to keep up supply and then allowing a nice long one at night (although trying to keep it to 5 hours, we did let her sleep this morning and had a great 6 hour break!)

Quote Originally Posted by jesslee83 View Post
    Smoore - thanks for the reassurance about sleeping! I think I get a bit stressed and over think things when I am tired! We have decided just to do what we need to do for the time being- we will still try the cot everyday for 30mins at least once, but if he doesn't settle I'm happy to rock, feed, pram it. At least while he is still little anyway! Can't believe your 'little' one is 6.5kgs! I can so relate to not wanting them to grow up so quick! In one breath I am wishing for a more settled bub but in the other I'm like "No way - you stay a baby - baby!"
    A belated congratulations! Fantastic that yo managed a natural birth! I hope the sleep settles down soon.

Nic - honey, I've kept up with your dramas with the Bells - sounds terrible. Good for you for keeping up with the expressing throughout it all. Has A gone back to the breast easily? K got fussy on the breast for a while after we started using bottles - she realised there were easier ways of getting food and didn't understand why she had to bother with anything else! I think that's settled down now.

smoore - 6.5kg!! Crikey!! K has been putting on weight like a trooper but was still only 3.5kg at 4wks last Friday. She seems huge now (definately heavier to carry around - you really notice the extra 800g).

MK - what's the latest on the MCN? Are they a success? Which ones are the best? I'm thinking of using them, although hopefully the watery daily explosions will stop first!

I've just noticed all the Christmas Smilies have been added - EK! Where have the last 5 weeks gone??? Before I know it, I'll be back at work and checking K into child care

mrsshe and Bosco - Sorry to hear about the MIL issues! Mrsshe - yours sounds a nightmare! I'm secretly glad that mine lives in the UK and doesn't want to visit until K is a little bigger - so she's coming over in February. I think she'll be the type who do very little to help but want to cuddle and spoil K all the time (only when not crying though) We just had my parents stay for 10 days. The first day was rough as they're 80+ and it felt like we were running around the whole time making tea, dinner, getting water etc. But from the second day they took over as many jobs as possible which was fantastic. My only gripe was Mum regularly telling me that K had wind (to every possible complaint), to feed her water instead of more breast/bottle and that my brothers and I never cried. But that stopped when I spat the dummy on the 3rd day after a crying session where I couldn't sit down for dinner (this was when K was about 2 weeks and my tiredness was at a peak). I felt really bad about snapping at Mum, but I was just so stressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kitz - Welcome!! So good to have you here. I can;t believe K is 3.5kg. R was 3.67 born!!! Takes after his dad, a big thanks to him for that!!!

Anyway girls, I need help... It is un-baby related, can you imagine? Anyway, DH and I are coming up to our 2nd wedding ann and I really need help with gifts. We decided to follow the traditional or modern lists so this year is supposed to be cotton or china. Has anyone got any fab ideas?? Please???

Ok, gotta run and start dinner

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls,

Kitz - Hi there! Sounds like you have a very content little bub there - good for you! And great to hear she is putting on weight - O has also put on 1.2kgs in 5 weeks and he has just hit 4.1kg. Try not to be too hard on yourself re your Mum - sleep deprivation and coping with a new bub is hard work and I think many 'older' people forget what those early weeks are like - that is what I choose to believe anyway! I love how everyone says "Oh he has a little pain" every time O cries or pulls up his legs - I feel like yelling "He is way over tired! Or over stimulated - wind isn't always the cause!"

Smoore77 - I'm blank for ideas for you right now - but I'll try and think of some!

MK - I love your thoughts on parenting. I never judge how people parent their kids - I have friends who are right into controlled crying, others are really strict on routines and I think 'If that makes you a better parent and it works for you then good'. But I do sway quite a lot your way - and we are just following O's lead for now and what he needs. I really believe in making them feel 'secure' for their emotional development - SO not meaning other ways are wrong though! A psycholgist told me that what children need most is an 'authentic' parent - hence doing whatever you feel comfortable with. O is sleeping with us more and more and he loves it - almost as much as me! Now I have more of an excuse to do what I am already doing - not that I really need one!

Our appointment with the cardiologist didn't go as well as we had hoped today. O has a moderate to large hole in his heart and he is starting to show signs of it working extra hard - in his breathing mostly. He is on medication to help his heart deal with the extra load it has and hopefully nature will be kind and it will cover over itself - there is a 40-50% chance of that happening. I am hanging onto that - the chance of it not happening is a bit much to deal with right now - heart surgery is just too scary for us at the moment. But he is gaining about 300grams a week so that is good - but the Dr said over the next couple of weeks his heart will continue to develop and this will make the hole more obvious (e.g. he will get more breathless, tired when feeding etc). We have to keep a close eye on him for any signs he isn't coping. So yes it sucks big time - but we have been through too much already to get him here - he is a fighter (fighting sleep as we speak!) so this is just another small hurdle for us.

Hi to everyone! Sorry this is a mainly me post!

MamaKoala is offline Happy Mummy of 2 Big Boys and a Baby Girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good evening ladies,

It was 40 degrees in Ipswich today so I am so glad that storm rolled in and saved me since XDP cancelled on taking the boys so I had to figure out dinner of the fly and Kiara wasn't a happy girl while I was organising that. She's been a bit fussy with day sleeps the last couple of days. She's fine at night so I guess one offsets the other. I spent 2 hours settling her today only to get a total of 1.5 hours out of her. I hope it can be explained by either a growth spurt or the heat. As much as I love spending time with her, I really need to get packing underway as I'm moving on the 12-13 of Dec. At least the heat dried all my laundry with time to spare before the storm.

Kitz - Welcome. K is in MCN's full time and has been for 5 weeks. No nappy rash at all and they're so simple to clean. My favourites are pocket Nappies and Issy Bears get my vote for day and night although because they're a one size fits most, they can look pretty bulky, especially as you fold down the front for a smaller fit. They just started doing snaps as well as hook and loop and I would say go with the snaps. They are awesome.
    I love my AIO Bubblebubs for daytime. Also love Twinkle Lily but only have one of those. Twinkle Lily is more of a snap in whereas Bubblebubs have sewn in boosters. They are both sized and Kiara is currently growing out of the Small Bubblebubs. I'd say she has another month before she wont fit them anymore. Then I'll have an excuse to buy more .
    If you have any questions about any brands if I have them (I have a bunch of different ones) I'll give you my opinion. I find that Fluffybubs are pretty but the boosters don't last very long in a small fit (they're a OSFM with front snaps to size down). Bubba Moo is fantastic but also a OSFM and a little bulky but so soft and really absorbant. I also have Smarty Pants by Cheeky Butts (eco mums and bubs is the website), Lushies by sustainable hemp products (they really are lush), BBH & itti d'lish, Baby Safari (Great sized pocket) and a Good Mama (American brand). Oh and I just got a Pop-in by Close Parent which is great for poo explosions. Oh and on that topic, they don't stop in BF bubs until they start solid food but they're pretty easy to clean and the stains come out really well in the sun (never thought I would see the day when the sun would actually completely bleech a stain but I'm a believer now). For really stubborn stains, put them out for a couple of days.

Smoore - I would love to help you with ideas, unfortunately I have zero experience on anniversary shopping. I hope you find something just right. Shopping for men has never been my strong suit.

*warms seat for Izy* less than 5 weeks to go!!!

Jess - I agree, I never criticise how someone else parents because it works for them. I took the controlled crying route with my boys and it worked for me at the time but this time it just doesn't feel right for her. Sorry you didn't get the news you wanted with O. Hopefully he is in that 40-50% and doesn't need surgery. Sending him loads of healing vibes. I'm pretty sure there is a thread for heart mums and dads who might be able to give you extra support when you need it.

WTK, MrsShe, Nic, Bosco, Bambi and everyone else I've missed (sorry, getting tired and still have to do the dishes) have a lovely relaxing evening. I hope all the babies are good and sleep well tonight and tomorrow.

I can't wait!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaKoala View Post
    Kitz - Welcome. K is in MCN's full time and has been for 5 weeks. No nappy rash at all and they're so simple to clean. My favourites are pocket Nappies and Issy Bears get my vote for day and night although because they're a one size fits most, they can look pretty bulky, especially as you fold down the front for a smaller fit. They just started doing snaps as well as hook and loop and I would say go with the snaps. They are awesome.
    I love my AIO Bubblebubs for daytime. Also love Twinkle Lily but only have one of those. Twinkle Lily is more of a snap in whereas Bubblebubs have sewn in boosters. They are both sized and Kiara is currently growing out of the Small Bubblebubs. I'd say she has another month before she wont fit them anymore. Then I'll have an excuse to buy more .
    If you have any questions about any brands if I have them (I have a bunch of different ones) I'll give you my opinion. I find that Fluffybubs are pretty but the boosters don't last very long in a small fit (they're a OSFM with front snaps to size down). Bubba Moo is fantastic but also a OSFM and a little bulky but so soft and really absorbant. I also have Smarty Pants by Cheeky Butts (eco mums and bubs is the website), Lushies by sustainable hemp products (they really are lush), BBH & itti d'lish, Baby Safari (Great sized pocket) and a Good Mama (American brand). Oh and I just got a Pop-in by Close Parent which is great for poo explosions. Oh and on that topic, they don't stop in BF bubs until they start solid food but they're pretty easy to clean and the stains come out really well in the sun (never thought I would see the day when the sun would actually completely bleech a stain but I'm a believer now). For really stubborn stains, put them out for a couple of days.
    !! You really have tried them all! You're the queen of MCN information! On the poo explosion - hers are very wet and I'm not sure that it's normal, but will discuss with the paed next week (everyone else has just deferred to him - blaming it on either the formula or just the way she poos depending on who I ask).

Jess - sorry to hear the appointment didn't go well. When will you know if it will close or not? Hopefully it will quickly and you will be able to rest easy. As for the wind comments - you are spot on! Every time K cried, mum would be saying "ooo... you have a pain in your belly, of course you can't sleep!" But took it back the last time as she tried to burp her and she just kept screaming because she was hungry!

Smoore - no idea. Clothes aren't really anniversary-type presents, but cotton...

Well, 2 posts in 2 days - has to be a record for me. It's so hot here today and supposed to be over 30 for the next 3 days. K's room is on the top floor and gets so hot. We have aircon in there but you have to keep an eye on the temp as it doesn't stabilise. We went for a walk today but it really was too hot for her, poor lil thing.

Hi to everyone else - Bosco, Nic, mrsshe, Bambi...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kitz View Post
    !! You really have tried them all! You're the queen of MCN information! On the poo explosion - hers are very wet and I'm not sure that it's normal, but will discuss with the paed next week (everyone else has just deferred to him - blaming it on either the formula or just the way she poos depending on who I ask).

Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? If you're comp feeding with formula but BF the majority then bub's poo will be watery from BM as it is easy to digest. Kiara is fully BF and her poop is anything from sticky runny to watery. As long as it's mustard or light green or has kernals it sounds normal to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jess - I agree about the authentic parent, every family is different, so I think it whatever works for you and your fmaily is the right thing, as long as noone is being hurt of course. I am so sorry that your appointment did not go well. I have everything crossed for you guys that O heals all by himself. He is gaining weight really well, so you should be proud, he is a strong little boy and very much loved and wanted, so I am sure he feels even stronger with that support for you. My thoughts and and you with you.

Just a quick questions for you of you lovely ladies who sleep with their bubs, I am too scared I will roll over on him or he will not be able to breath with the sheets and pillows, so what do you guys do??

MK - Wow, it seems like you are talking another language with all of the MCN stuff. I did look at it when I was preggos, but got a bit overwhelmed with it all. I do want to have another look, so you will be by first port of call when I need help! You seem to know about all of them, I am impressed!

Kitz - Can't help you on the poo thing, because I am not sure if it is different with BF or formula, but I know R's are always wet and there seems to be more coming out than what goes in sometimes!!

Hi to everyone else - Bosco, Nic, mrsshe, Bambi and anyone I might of forgotton, I hope you are all doing well and coping if it is hot where you are.

AFU - We have not had a good 2 days. R is screaming the house down, which is very unusual for my smiley happy baby. Mum refreshed my memory that when we first put him on zantac he was really screamy and tired all the time, so I am hoping that because we just increased his does it is the same thing and should settle down soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi girls,

MrsShe- Glad u survived the MIL from hell visit. Or glad she survived and you didn't poison her food or anything! I think I would have been tempted, especially after her attempts to sabotage your routine and mess things up!

G is soo tiny! She is only about 100g bigger than A was born! She is so gorgeous though, have been looking at the new pics on FB.

Jess- I'm still feeding A in our bed in the early hours of the morn and falling asleep! I hear you on ppl not believing bub is tired! I love her and all but my MIL is the worst for it. A will be squirming and sooking and she will still say 'but she doesn't seem tired to me'... grr
    Goodness, don't complain bout the post! I had no idea O had a hole in his heart! Hoping you are in the 40% that fixes itself. What a stressful situation for you!

MK- Did you pick your own secret santa or did you draw it out of a hat too? Lol! Oh, also did you post the official rules somewhere for it? Also a Dec 1st Xmas tree putter-up-erer here! :tree:

Bosco-

Smoore- A also does a big poo in the morning and for a while there it went through absolutely everything! The last 3 nights she's woken at 3am for a feed and a massive poo. No idea why she needs to go then but it's no fun changing outfits overnight! Yay for lessons! Our aquatic centre won't take bubs till 5mths so can't start till next yr. I'm with u on the outfit thing.. my boobs were big beforehand and they are massive now. Clothes are impossible, I seem to live in singlets! Hoping to BF till she weans herself.

Kitz- WELCOME! K is doing well to have some 4hrly feeds, still trying to get A there!! A has liquid poos too but I think its normal for BF bubs?
    Ps- Over 30 is NOT hot!!

AFU- Bell's is wayy better, my face is almost back to normal now which is a relief! A is still having her moments and it seems impossible to think i will ever get a decent nights sleep sometimes! The other night she was up 11 times between 12 (when I went to bed) and 4:30am. So pretty much I didn't sleep at all, then spent the next day in the emergency room with my little sister (who it turns out has kidney stones) so didn't get any sleep then. As a result I cracked it with DH and we had a big fight as I feel exhausted and just need a break from the kids sometimes! Also he had been complaining that he was tired as he only had 5 hrs sleep (in a row mind you! ) and I had about 3hrs of broken sleep and he just doesn't understand that the exhaustion and brain-fogginess he felt for that day was what I walk around like all the time.
    Anyway, all better now I think. A even slept for 4hrs at a time last night. I just can't work out what I've done wrong. She's never been a sleeper! I get so jealous that most of the girls in my due group have babies that sleep 10-12hrs straight, even babies that are younger than her seem to have the hang of it.
    Very hot here today, got to about 42 and tomorrow is supposed to hit 43! Has been around the 40 mark all week and I'm not sure it's going to get any better. Hoping we get some rain to cool it down a little, the sky was just red with dust today! I think A is affected by the heat as she just wanted to feed every 2hrs and sleep all day today. (Not in big blocks, just cat naps of course!!). Had been trying to get her to 4hrly feeds but kinda pointless in this heat when she gets very thirsty so I gave up today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry Smoore, my post took so long to write (was BFing at the same time!) that I missed yours. As for rolling on bubs, I put my arm around her/under her head so I can't roll on her without rolling on my own arm. Which I wouldn't do in my sleep if that makes sense. I also only put the sheet over her and only a little, and she's never been caught under it or anything. She sleeps really well on my arm but it isn't the comfiest for me!
    Other than that, i've heard a lot of mums say they just 'know' where there baby is as they can sense them in their sleep. There has been cases of mums who have co-slept and sensed when their babies stopped breathing and prevent a SIDS episode etc. So I don't buy into all the negative co-sleeping publicity at all, as I think it works both ways and most cases where bubs have died co-sleeping it's been where the parents had a waterbed, or were under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time. I read a book that was very anti-cosleeping the other day and one of the reasons it gave was that in the US in a 30yr period, 7 babies had fallen between beds and the wall and became trapped and died. So don't put the bed against the wall. But to me, 7 babies out of all the babies born in the USA in 30yrs doesn't seem like a huge amount! Of course 0 would be a better number but you know what I mean.
    Oh dear, I'm rambling. Off to bed then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Nic - no i didn't pick my secret santa, I did a draw using excel. I did post rules titled Secret Santa Rules (original huh?). The basic rule is send it via registered post and give me the number so I can track if it gets lost. Post deadline is Dec 4.

BBL just checking in but kiara is getting fussy.