+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2girls&1angelboy is offline Has 3 very special people in my life my 2 girls & my angel baby boy xxx
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are the symptoms for swine flu?

hi

sorry its prob another one of those posts on swine flu that u prob had enough of.
    im just wondering what are the symptoms for swine flu?
    DD1 wont stop coughing and bn "off" for most of the day today was the other day too.
    DD2 has got a temp of 38.8 and they both got a slight runny nose. nothing major.

im just not sure what the symptoms are

Thanks
    Reviews
    they are just like that of the common flu like influenza... body aches temps cough fever... google it hun there is plenty of information

hope your kids get better soon xxxx

2girls&1angelboy is offline Has 3 very special people in my life my 2 girls & my angel baby boy xxx
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    der silly me i should of thought of that, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As already mentioned the three main symptoms of swine flu are influenza symptoms - ie high grade fever, body aches and pains and a persistent cough. Its best to get treatment as soon as possible (ie within 48hrs of symptoms first appearing). Best to take them to hospital or the GP to be checked out for sure. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 7yo has swine flu. His started with a headache and then he had a 40 degree temp. It really appears to be quite a minor flu, although my boy was put on tamiflu immediately due to an underlying heart condition causing complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Andry View Post
    My 7yo has swine flu. His started with a headache and then he had a 40 degree temp. It really appears to be quite a minor flu, although my boy was put on tamiflu immediately due to an underlying heart condition causing complications.
    My 6 yo DD is a suspected swine flu case - she had exactly the same symptoms as the pp's son. She started with a headache and leg ache too, then the 40 degree temps came out. Now she has a dreadful cough.

I didn't get temperatures, but my body ached and ached like I've never experienced before. DD's first symptoms were almost a week ago, and she's still recovering. I've kept her out of school all week. One of her little friends who was so sick all weekend was back at school first thing Monday.

Hoping your children feel better soon. There's so much flu about.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Just found out that the friend that DD was playing with yesterday has swine flu. (symptoms developed overnight).

They shared food and a drink bottle .... so I am really hoping that she doesnt get it, but kind of assuming that she will

She went to day care this morning, so if she has it I am sure that she has already passed it on to all of daycare (I went and got her as soon as I knew she had been exposed, as she plays quite often in the babies room, so I am that all is ok)

Anyway - just sitting here wondering what tomorrow will bring ......

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD had the aches then the fever and then the cough.

But for her it was depression..she got really depressed..and she s a bright little thing so was very shocked.

Its full on but in dd it was gone very quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I didn't think they can actually say it is swine flu as opposed to other strains of the flu without testing.. and they aren't testing anymore.

My DS has the flu. Fortunately its the end of it but if I went to the docs they would probably put a curly tail and pig trotters on the condition too
    Yes that's what they seem to be doing. Where we live, swine flu is very wide-spread - the Doctors have advised that approx 70% of current flu cases are in fact swine flu.

So although no longer testing, based on when they were testing and having almost 3/4 test positive for swine, they are now assuming most cases with the matching swine symptoms, are swine flu. My Doctor said to treat swine flu just as you would any other flu - take all of the precautions that you usually would, lots of rest, keep fluids up, and stay at home to avoid spreading to others.

So we'll never know for sure whether DD had swine or regular flu, but regardless of what type she had, the most important thing is that she is recovering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I everyone's little ones are feeling better quickly.

missie_mack is right, they can't tell you whether you have swine flu just from examining you. You'll be swabbed and your results will take 5 days to come in. A few of DH's work collegues had swine flu and he was the only one left in the office. Thier results only came back positive when they were already over it.

DH, DS and I are suspected of having swine flu but only I was swabbed as I am in a high risk category. The Dr said it's too much of a strain on resources to go testing everyone who thinks they have it now unless you are in a high risk category. I've been perscribed Tamiflu but the Dr's own son who is likely to have swine flu (as I said noone will know till he's better) hasn't even been perscribed it. If I wasn't 38 weeks pregnant she would have just sent me home.