+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default VERY weak bladder post birth

Hi ladies,

I am 3 months post birth with my son - he is my first baby.

During the first 8 weeks post birth I failed to do my pelvic floor exercises on a regular basis - in fact I hardly did them at all.

I was simply too tired and lazy.

Just wondering what other people have experienced post birth as this is a subject not many people talk about.

My bladder is still very weak and when I need to 'go' I often leak a bit - and usually always leak when sneezing or coughing / laughing.

How long should it take for things to recover?

Will it ever return to normal?

Also is it normal to not have the same sensation of squeezing - especially when standing? Things feel a bit numb at the moment...

As I just went through the public hospital system I don't have a private obstetrician. I asked my GP about this though at my 6-week check and he just said that it could take 3 months to heal but I fear I have left it too long post birth for the recovery process to have any positive results.

I have started to do the pelvic floor excercises again each time I feed bubs and I am really hoping that this will help but I am starting to get fed up and a bit depressed about the whole peeing in my pants thing (sorry TMI).

Appreciate any replies ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    im 19months since my last birth and i too have a weak bladder. I've been told its due to me not doing my pelvic floor exercises. I was told that i should expect an almost full recovery if i do my exercises regularly throughout the day and that it should only take a matter of months.

I think everyones different though. I never did them with my first and was never conscious of a problem. It might be worth your while talking to a doctor about it. Sometimes theres another reason for your lack of muscle control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have an EXTREMELY weak bladder and constantly leak.

My DD is 5 years old now.

The reason i have such a weak bladder is because when i was instructed to do my pelvic floor exercises, no one bothered to check my chart and see that MINE WERE ALL SEWN TOGETHER! Stupid physio! She even said "oh i dont believe that". READ THE DOCTORS NOTES!

I had a horriffic birth and was torn internally requiring my vagina and all the other 'bits' sewn back together. That plus heamorraghing.....

The pelvic floor muscle exercises just got forgottten for just trying to stand and walk without collapsing from pain.

The pain of squeezing was just unbearable. So i didnt do them.

But i know theres alot of things out there available now to help with a weal bladder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ladies...

nice to hear it is not just me with severe bladder weakness - and I only just turned 30!

What are the things available to help with bladder weakness besides pads of course???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its called a Kegel master or something like that.

Looks a bit scary to me