+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've probably said this previously, but if you're in the Sydney (or surrounding) area and having issues with sperm donors/wait lists, you should seriously consider Fertility First in Hurstville. This is a non-discriminatory clinic that uses both imported and local sperm. Most importantly, there is no waiting list. They're a great bunch of people and well worth taking a look at. They do fabulous work.

As long as you're ready to proceed, they're ready to treat you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi girls

Wishing - Sorry it has already been destroyed but that amazes me that you get 2 different stories.....We saw Proff Peter Illingworth....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amum21 View Post

We spoke to our FS about donating DH sperm as we have some frozen and won't be needing it again, he said that our clinic has so much donor sperm and not to worry about it, so our's will be destroyed
    Wishing, I go to the same doctor as amum and this is in sharp contrast to what he told me. He told me there was indeed a waiting list and in short supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fickwalker View Post
    I've probably said this previously, but if you're in the Sydney (or surrounding) area and having issues with sperm donors/wait lists, you should seriously consider Fertility First in Hurstville. This is a non-discriminatory clinic that uses both imported and local sperm. Most importantly, there is no waiting list. They're a great bunch of people and well worth taking a look at. They do fabulous work.

As long as you're ready to proceed, they're ready to treat you.
    They have a BMI requirement it would take me 6 months to loose enough weight to be treated.

I also suspect they use overseas donor sperm. That is stopping in NSW on the 1st of January 2010. Let me know if I am wrong please.

Gave you a pm amum21.

why did that doctor tell you the wrong story.

Wishing4kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wishing4kids View Post
    They have a BMI requirement it would take me 6 months to loose enough weight to be treated.

I also suspect they use overseas donor sperm. That is stopping in NSW on the 1st of January 2010. Let me know if I am wrong please.

Wishing4kids

The BMI information is wrong. Fertility First does not have a BMI restriction. When we started the IVF process, we asked specific questions relating to weight and treatment and were clearly told, by Dr Anne herself, that there is no such restrictions for treatment at Fertility First. Not sure where you got that information about BMI, but it's definitely wrong.

Also.. Fertility First sources their sperm from both local and overseas donors. The overseas sperm comes from an accredited sperm bank in the US and you receive full profiles including baby and adult photos, along with complete medical histories for the donor and immediate family.

Yes, there is a change to legislation coming in on January 1st, 2010 but it has absolutely nothing to do with stopping or restricting the importation of sperm for clinics such as Fertility First. The changes are about the number of families each donor (local or overseas) are allowed to have, as well as changing the definition of a 'family' as it is under current laws.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask me. There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi Fickwalker,

this is the information I got from a website calling itself fertility first hurstville.

Being healthy, happy and relaxed are three simple states that are sometimes forgotten but always necessary. With this in mind, here are a few pre-treatment tips for your consideration:
    Weight

If you are significantly overweight (20% above ideal body weight), we encourage you to take part in the 'Fertility Fitness for Women' program we run at the Centre. Research, by the team at Fertility First and others, has shown that as a woman's weight increases, her response to treatment and chance of pregnancy reduces, while her chance of a miscarriage, if she does get pregnant, increases. Therefore, this is an important issue to address prior to the start of a treatment program.
    Women whose weight to height ratio is below a certain level, will be encouraged to increase their weight prior to any treatment. As weight drops women stop ovulating regularly. Therefore, an increase in weight might mean no other treatment is necessary. In addition, any child conceived while a woman is significantly underweight, will have an increased risk of growing poorly during pregnancy with possible long-term effects.

Im not living in sydney but I am willing to travel if it means we get to start our family.

Wishing4kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Wishing4Kids,

They 'encourage' you to join that program, but it is not a mandatory requirement. If you're ready to go ahead with your treatment, they will do what they can for you regardless of your weight. My DP is 167cm tall and 110kgs. There was absolutely no mention to us about her joining the program or that she needed to lose weight.

We had the same concerns when we started this whole IVF thing but were told our fears were groundless. Fertility First will not refuse treatment to a women because of her weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Calling them today. Will let you know how it goes. Im off to bed now. I didn't get to sleep till 1am this morning worrying about things. And my DH woke me up at 6:30am using his mobile phone with key pad tones.

I have to go to work at 2:30pm till 11pm so Im bushed.

Will let you know via this site from work sometime this evening how it goes.

Thanks so much for the information.

wishing4kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're very welcome. Best of luck to you, I'm sure the FF girls will treat you well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    good luck wishing! Hope you get the news you want today