+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Smile People needing sperm donor

Hello,

I would love to know if anyone else has had to go on a waiting list for donor sperm?

Also if there is anyone out there who has needed donor sperm? I'd love to share stories. To share the good times and not so good times.

My husband and I are currently on a waiting list. Im so over waiting!!!

BB
    wishing4kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    wishing4kids - my DH and I are with QFG, there was no waiting time with them which is why we chose them. They are a bit pricey but that's the price we pay. We moved from one state to another partly because of the access issues so we could start our own family. We've not been successful so far but I'm hoping that our dream will come true soon. It's a hard road and it doesn't end with the hard decision of whether to use a donor or not unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wishing4kids View Post
    Hello,

I would love to know if anyone else has had to go on a waiting list for donor sperm?

Also if there is anyone out there who has needed donor sperm? I'd love to share stories. To share the good times and not so good times.

My husband and I are currently on a waiting list. Im so over waiting!!!

BB
    wishing4kids
    Hi there... My partner and I were with Fertility First in Hurstville and there was absolutely no waiting time on donor sperm. it did cost us $900 but you get a wonderful amount of choice from both the fertility clinic and the US sperm bank they use, Xytex.

As there is a severe shortage of local donor sperm, it was easier for us to pick from the overseas donors on offer. If you do go with a clinic that utilises Xytex's facilities, they have a fantastic option to see more information about prospective donors via their website. Once you've made a decision and a successful pregnancy has been achieved, Xytex send out a great pack with all the information you could hope for. We're big fans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    fickwalker - our clinic has the same thing, access to US donors which means no waiting times but costs around $850 a vial. Although I know not all states access US donors, we moved from WA because when we asked the clinic about importing they told us they don't do that and we'd have to go on a waiting list which is long and getting longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    nikki08 - That's a real shame that other states aren't onboard with importing from overseas. Out of the list we had to choose from there were about thirty names, but only two of those names were local donors. The choice from overseas is pretty remarkable. The only thing I was disappointed with was that we were not allowed to choose a donor outside of our racial make-up. The clinics argument was that our child will be different enough (being both an IVF baby and having two mums) without the added pressure of looking different.

Personally, I think that's a bunch of bull, and was quite angry after we were told that. Oh well, we made our choice (and it was a good one, I feel) and we're on our way now. Too late to go back.

Best of luck with your next cycle! I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks fickwalker! I am hoping our turn will come soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Wishing4kids

Where do you live? I go through Monash in Melb (live in Newcastle) its the only access I have to donor sperm. There was quite a good list when I chose and usually there is a 3 month approval process. Its such a shame we have very few donors in our country, hopefully you live in an area that has the luxury of o/s donors, I agree with Fickwalker, it is a shame all states don't have the same policies/legislations and they vary so much. My clinic has been approved to start up their own sperm 'bank' and is in the process of recruiting and should have some available in about 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi.. just thought i'd crash your thread- sorry.
    My husband donates sperm and we are currently donating privately to 2 lovely couples..
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 26-07-2009 at 16:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi wishing4kids, we were on a waiting list for nearly 2 years with IVF Australia. I dont recall exactly how much we had to pay but with no other option we would have paid whatever they asked.

We are now with Fertility Solutions in Nambour, Qld and they no longer have a donor program. Until Jan this year they also imported sperm from the US but due to legislative concerns the ceased all imports.

Good luck !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    wishing4kids - just wanted to wish you lots of luck and hope that your wait is over soon

I had no idea there was such a shortage of sperm donors, do you know if you can arrange to donate through the IVF clinics??