+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Alcohol and Pregnancy

Hi guys, just wondering what are peoples opinions on Moderate intake of alcohol while pregnant. Both pregnancies i did not touch a drop, same with this one.
    Is it ok to have a glass once in a while. My first OBS said once a week is ok.

I am just to scarred that i will do damage to the bubs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes its ok to have the odd one now and again.

I know someone who had a bottle of red every other day! shocking!

I had the odd glass if me and dh went out for a meal, and as i was preg with mine with both christmas and new year then i would have a champers to toast, nothing wrong with it if you have the odd glass now and again

Thanks
    Reviews
    It probably is OK, I didn't take the chance though. My body would not tolerate the smell or taste of alcohol when pregnant, but plenty of people have the occasional drink with no ill-effects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm worried about it too. I'd just die for a half glass of Hahn Premium
    But there's all the other things I can;t wait to have once I have bubs...........
    ...........like- camembert cheese
    salmon sashimi
    and ,oh, maybe just a few butterscotch shnapps
    Bring on October

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regardless of peoples thoughts on me - I did drink through all of my pregnancies.. mainly out of stupidity/stress whatever other lame excuses i can come up with lol.

The first one I got drunk quite often - before I found out i was pregnant - then I would only ever have a couple of glasses every now and then - same for the other two.

My children were all born healthy and fine.. and i know plenty of other mothers who did the same thing and had healthy children.

I am in no way saying that getting drunk or drinking every week is not harming your baby - because i dont doubt that it is... but the occasional drink is not harmful in most instances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will find most people have an opinion either way and there is lots of conflicting advice out there and you have to do what you think is right.

DH and I have had long talks about this and have decided that I will have half a glass of wine or a light beer once a week as a treat that way not drinking will be managable and I spoke to the DR and the OBGYN about it and they said its fine as they only recommend not binge drinking

Good luck with your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I know, although a drink or two seems fine by most Obs... they are yet to prove there is a safe alcohol level. And Foetal Alcohol Syndrome is a pretty nasty legacy so I think I'll steer clear.

That said, boy am I gonna miss the occasional VB!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personaly dont think its safe to consume any amount of alcohol during pregnancy- there is no evidence to supprt that its safe but alot to support thats its not.

Like BlueGin said- Fetal Alchohol Syndrome is a VERY nasty legacy and I personaly am not willing to risk my childs health.

I dont think that giving up drinking is a huge sacrifice to make in order to have a healthy child- I have my whole life to have a couple of drinks here and there so a year or so(I wont drink while breast feeding either) isnt going to hurt me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's more "bad" earlier in the pregnancy...

Still, I didn't drink at all during my pregnancy (actually, I had a sip or two of beer...but that's hardly classed as "drinking")...just to be on the safe side.

I think it's easy not to drink...but then, I usually only drink on social occassions (and even then it's not often) so I guess I'm not "used" to drinking...

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not a big drinker to begin with.....but one of the things taht I CRAVED during my pg was beer. Not just any beer, but boags premium. And I indulged on once a week or so - half a glass. I felt comfortable doing that, my DD is perfect in everyway (although if you'd asked me that at 5:00am this morning when she was screaming I may have answered differently! LOL) and I will probably do the same thing in subsequent pregnancies, if I feel like it. Just to add, I didn't drink any alcohol until I was 16 weeks pg - well after the 1st trimester had passed.

I felt comfortable doing this. I owuld never advise anyone to drink in pg - but everyone has to find what THEY are comfortable with.