ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default should i take him to the hosp?

Ds (4yrs) came home from preschool today telling me he had fallen over and hurt his arm and that his teacher put an ice pack on it.

on and off all afternoon he has complained his wrist hurts... and then this evening slipped over and started crying about his arm again...now he is avoiding using it completely..

if it was broken would he be crying about it non stop? he doesnt scream out or anything when i slowly get him to bend it..but his avoidance of using that arm at all without even thinking about it is worrying me a bit..

ive never broken anything before so i wouldnt have a clue about how bad it would feel..i feel a bit dumb asking for advice tbh.. :S

should i take him to hosp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would take him if I was you. He might not have broken it but he could of fractured it or it could be dislocated.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would take him to the doctors.

My sister broke her leg when she was 8 ... didnt cry much at all etc, but it had a huge bruise. My mum thought it was nothing, next morning the bruise was gone, but she wouldnt walk.

My mum took her to the doctor (100kms away) and it was broken severly in 2 places.

They dont have to be screaming for it to be bad ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    When my sister was 2 she fell of the verandah. She cried for a bit and the rest of the night was a bit grizzly but fine other wise. Mum and Dad thought nothing of it. But she come out the next morning complaining of a sore arm and it had a huge bow in it. It was definitely broken. So I'm not sure but I'd say if it was broken they wouldn't be crying all the time, though I'm not sure. I'd be getting it checked out for sure though.

Hooves is offline My children/my legacy, the best of me is inside them.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yep Mischa take him to the hospital.

That is kind of how our son behaved when he broke his leg.

He wasn't crying or anything, just wouldn't use his leg, no swelling, and no obvious signs of a break.

We waited until the next morning, and x rays showed, a small crack, not a clean break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sounds like it could be broken.

I did a childrens first aid course a week ago and the trainer did say that children will be braver about a broken bone than an adult - a child with a broken arm might continue to use it, just tentatively.

I'd get it checked, just for peace of mind.

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My girlfriends son broke his arm at his dads place and nobody realised til he came home 2 days later and she was taking his top off and he started to cry when she pulled his arm through his sleeve. Apparently he cried when it happened but had been perfectly fine, just avoided using his arm for the following 2 days! I always had a hard time believing that story (Suspiscious of the dad NOT my girlfriend who took him straight to the hospital!) but it's possible. Would get it checked if I were you. Hope all is ok,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely.. go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I agree with the others.
    My eldest DS tripped over and hurt his wrist so i took him to the hospital.....after xrays turns out he had a buckle fracture......where the bone bends rather than breaks as childrens bones are still soft....he needed a backslab for a week til the swelling went down, then a cast for 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update??