+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Selective reduction

As a spin off from another thread, i am wondering

If your were faced the possibility of Higher Order Multiples (triplets & more) & offered the option of selective reduction.

Would you go through with it or carry on with the pregnancy as is?

DF & I were given the option of selective reduction, with either loosing our girls or our little man.
    We chose to go through with my pregnancy knowing for well that the chance of prematurely was on the cards.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If it was more than triplets I would.

As hard a decision as that is, the chances of carrying healthy babies for long enough with HOM is just too high for me.

Is such a hard thing though ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMe View Post
    I'd leave things as they were and just let nature takes its course.

I know I wouldn't cope well with high order multiples, so I'd put my energies into making sure that I have an awesome support network around me to help as much as I wanted/needed; rather than selective reduction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would keep them all and take the risks involved

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    If it was more than triplets I would.

As hard a decision as that is, the chances of carrying healthy babies for long enough with HOM is just too high for me.

Is such a hard thing though ...
    But then if I was told I was carrying more than twins, I think I'd probably faint and might not wake up until I was in labour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's a tough one, and I honestly dont really know without being in that position. I think I would be more likely to keep them all, but I dont really want to invest the emotion in thinking it through when I don't need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    as hard as it would be to have multiples i would leave it and let nature decide. i couldnt do selective reduction

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on the situation I was in at the time.

If everything was going well in my life, good partner, finances were good then I would definately let fate take its course.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having worked in NICU for years I can confidently say that the thought of twins gives me nightmares - triplets would be my absolute limit. I'm very small and had a rough pregnancy with one. Having to make that decision would be tragic, but more than twins would be such a strain for my family. I suppose if they are natural then you could have faith that your body knows what it's doing but fertility treatment multiples would be a different thing for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it was more than triplets then I would. I think if it was triplets and everything looked good I would be okay - thats if the shock didn't kill me

Seriously don't know how you mums of multiples do it - I just coped doing the newborn stage with my kids - and I only had one at a time.

I don't think I could personally face a really high risk pregnancy (like having 8 at once) I don't think it would be healthy, fair on the children I have - as I imagine with that many babies alot of the pregnancy you would be bedridden. And seriously - unless you have a ****load of cash and a huge family how the hell do you care for that many at once while giving them all plenty of cuddles and love???? Never really understood the practical side of it.

I also don't think I could handle losing a child - I imagine that carrying that many at once their wouldn be huge risks to the children.

Hopefully though I am never in a situation where I have to actually decide on this - I imagine thinking about what you would do and actually having to make the decision are two very different things.