+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First timer and confused about TT?

Well were do I start? DD is 2 years and 2 months and occasionally shows signs of being ready to start TT. I often ask her if she wants to sit on the potty and sometimes she will and has done one wee on there and a poo a few months back.

After this I got all excited and wet out to buy big girl knickers, a toilet seat and just recently some pull ups. Problem being when I remind her to go sit on the potty she more often than not just refuses and I do not want to push her too much as I am worried it will turn into a tantrum and then she will become more and more defiant.
    I also am not sure what to do when out which we are most days- do I need to dedicate a whole week at home to just get it started

I guess I am just after some hints and tips and maybe some stories about how tt has worked for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

We used the 3 day TT e book with my DS when he was 27mths and it was fantastic. Lots of other people on bubhub have also had sucess with the program, but I think you have to stick to it really strictly for it to work in the 3 days, maybe search through the older threads in this section or google it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice I have heard of this through BH and was considering giving it a go. Is it expensive?? I'm sure I could dedicate 3 days to staying at home if it means no more nappies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just my opinion, but do you expect a baby/child to master any other skill in 3 days?

I would just give her as many opportunities to use the potty as possible (eg. upon waking, 10 minutes after a drink/meal) I like pull ups because they don't lose their shape after being taken on and off for all the false alarms.

The tantrums and rebellion come with the age. Just try to make it fun and low pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    KayJayBee - the 3 day TT program is actually a really positive approach to TT that teaches kids about knowing themselves when they need to go to the toilet and avoids the confusion of swapping between knickers and nappies....of course no child is going to be 100% TT with no accidents in 3 days but if you were to read the program you would understand the philosophy behind the 3 day program.....of course no program works for everyone but the 3 day method was successful for me and lots of people I have recommended it to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pinky... can completely relate to your situation. My DD is 2 in a few weeks and sometimes shows signs of being ready. I did give it a go a couple of months ago but felt she wasnt ready so thought I would give her some time. ( She freaked out when she did a poo on the floor and went and got a nappy - haha )

I'm going to try again soon, so I will see what advice you get here.

Good luck with it all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When u go to the loo say something like "ahh I can hear a wee coming I better go catch it in the toilet" then make a pretend frantic mad dash to the loo squealing etc watever makes DD laugh.
    Then Instead of telling DD to hop on the potty try "uhoh... I think I can hear... (pretend to listen) yup I'm pretty sure I can hear a wee coming, quick we better catch it in the potty" I know it sounds nuts but it worked for me haha
    my daughter didn't/doesn't like doing anything I ask her so I did this so I didn't have to actually tell her to do it. It also helped her to be more aware of how her body feels etc.