+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does this sound normal?

I am a little worried my DD is not drinking enough, she is on Karicare AR (thickened) and I am worried it might be filling her up too much so she isnt drinking enough to get her nutrients?

She is drinking about 100mls-140mls every 3 hours, but it varies greatly. I have been offering her breastmilk in the last week and obviously she is drinking less formula now. But all day today she literally had 4 feeds!!

She is 9 weeks old, and the tin says she should be drinking 200mls a feed, 5 times a day.

Should I be worried?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    But she is taking more breastfeeds or breastmilk right ?

Sounds like she may prefer the breastmilk over the formula & that can often happen ... Seriously formula is foul in terms of taste & smell whereas breastmilk is sweet & more palatable for them iykwim.

If she is having plenty of wet nappies there isnt a cause for concern because she will be getting enough if the output is ok. Only be concerned when that changes because it will mean she isnt taking enough for her system.

She may just not be as hungry & thats normal, many babies go through various stages drinking loads one minute & very little the next & thats fine, the problem lies when they drink very little for extended periods & they become dehydrated which is very obvious if it happens.

To me it honestly sounds like she is making a choice in taste iykwim !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for that Before I started her on breastmilk, she was drinking much less than what was written on the tin, I know it is just a guide though... But since I have introduced breastmilk (only little bits for her to get some benefits) she spends a lot of time playing with her bottles of formula and it takes ages for her to drink it! I really hope she keeps taking the formula because I never wanted to exclusively breastfeed because there is a chance I may haveto take a tablet randomly that isnt allowed for breastfeeding. And I dont think my supply is enough to express whole feeds IYKWIM?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my DS is 5 months & still only drinks 80-100mls max per feed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeeeeh cheeky monkey certainly sounds like she has taken a liking to the breastmilk !

Plus she may find the formula too filling now iykwim as breastmilk is 'lighter' & digests more readily so she probably feels the difference so is regulating it herself but it sounds like she did that from the get go anyways ...

But yep it is just a guide & the main thing to watch is her nappies so I wouldnt stress until thats an issue because she sounds like she is doing great & she wont dehydrate too quickly or starve either if the time comes that you cant offer her breastmilk due to taking the medication ... You may have to look at whether its possible to 'pump & dump' but otherwise when push comes to shove she will take the formula iykwim !

Good luck sounds like you are both going great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is 3 months old and he has been 160ml-180ml 5 times a day. The tin is only a guide and if your baby is on the smaller side you will find he wont need as much as what the tin says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    maybe try buying the normal formula and buying a tin of the thickener aswell and instead of adding as much thickener as they say just add a little bit less that way she wont be as full and also she still should be ok with vomits (i assume thats why you use the thickener - to stop vomiting)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I was thinking about the thickener, but Ill wait to see my GP this week before I do another swap over! She isnt a small baby. About 5 kilos at 9 weeks old. Through the night she had about 90mls at one feed (mixed EBM and FF) and 100mls FF.

I think I may just express my breast milk for now so I know how much she is getting!