+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default low AMH levels - ?IVF ?DHEA

Hi girls - Im not actually doing IVF - only been TTC 6months and scheduled for a lap in oct as FS thinks maybe I have endo.

Anyway, he did an ovarian reserve test called AMH and it was 4.5 when apparently its sposed to be 10 - lab report said suggests failure of ovarian reserve. Bit of a body blow to ay the least - so wasnt expecting this...

My FSH has always been low (CD2 = 5.7 a year ago, random one - not day 1-3 - was 3 last month).

I will hopefully get to speak or see FS in next few weeks, but to put me out of my misery, does any one have any positive stories about conceiving with a low AMH. Or info about what can be helpful. I have seen some stuff on US sites but Id love to hear from locals!

My GP said s/thing about a hormone that can bring up AMH - I wonder if she meant DHEA - but i didn't think it worked like that?

Im wondering if the lap is a waste of time if my egg reserve is that bad - should we go straight to IVF? My FS did say if the test was low it wouldnt make any difference, just means we had to get straight on to things.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    <bump (posted it at the weekend so I don't think many ppl read it?>

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sorry i do not know about amh? do know about fsh and your levels are fine so im ....the only true test of ovarian reserve i thought is do a stim cycle on ivf and see what u get....at 37 you should still get 7-8 eggs at least if u are ok! ( i read the average is about 9 eggs) i have endo and it can effect your ovarian reserve ie the endo destroys the tissue and hence lose eggs....at 37 i wouldnt waste time. a lap is ok if our are trying naturally some docs dont bother with it until a few cycles tho....get in b4 the price rises in 2010.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much jfblady72,

The AMH test is *supposed* to be a better predictor of ovarian reserve than FSH but it is newish so its all a bit up-in-the air.

As you say, the only real test is to see how you respond to IVF.

As we've only been trying 6m, and neither of us are keen to try IVF straight up, we will prob go ahead with the lap. But Im gonna try and speak to FS about it and see what he thinks. Just waitign for dh's s/a test and result.

Im thinking if it is endo and they clear away some, then we will keep trying naturally a few more months, as the lap is supposed to up your chances.

But if there is no endo then maybe striaght to IVF. As you say, the price is going up so that's a factor too.

God this stuff is so complex - only a few months after starting, i didn't really expect to be facing all these issues. Sigh.

Thanks again for the info, and good luck with your treatments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any reason you can't have your laparoscopy sooner, with time being rather critical eg. age and ivf funding issues? Just a thought.
    I've had two laparoscopies and endo removed each time-still had to do ivf. It works for some, not for others.
    Last edited by fiasm; 13-07-2009 at 16:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    anenome, i too had a lap about 8 months after ttc...they found endo and they suggested i do ivf immediately due to my age..i was 34 . it was a huge leap i admit...we did try for about 2 months after lap but no success..good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI girls, thanks for the advice.
    Would be good to have the lap sooner, I agree, but Im going O/S for 2 months in 2 weeks time, and can't get out of it. Will be pressing my FS for his opinion of how long to try for naturally if endo is found - not long Id imagine, given the situation.

Thanks again!

jesmon is offline Our dreams will live forever
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Don't wait

Hi Anemone,
    Sorry to jump in, but from someone who's been there, done that, PLEASE DON'T WAIT!!! My DH and I made the same mistake and now regret that decision.
    I was 35 when we got married. Nothing happened so went to see an FS. He did lap etc said nothing wrong with us and IVF was our only option. We were reluctant to jump into IVF and everyone said after you have a lap will fall pregnant easily so off we went. Still nothing so went to see another FS who did another lap and said I had endo, did 12 months of IVF with 2 chem pregnancies, reached transfer everytime but no success. After 35 your egg quality goes down at a fast rate. After 8 full cycles of IVF our doctor basically told us an egg donor was our only option, and the wait for anonymous donors is years. So unless you have a close friend\relative who would do that for you, egg donation isn't really an option.
    I can understand your hesitation to do IVF, we were the same. Yes it is an emotional time, but I love my husband more since doing it, have made wonderful lifetime friends and have learnt so much about myself - we will never regret it. Our only regret is waiting..
    I would also talk to your doctor about assisted hatching if you do go down the IVF line, I have since found out for people in your age group that gives better success rates. Some doctors will do it, others won't. DHEA is another that some will some won't. Mine wouldn't as it is illegal in Australia and not properly tested. But some doctors will import it. A friend of mine took it and conceived naturally at 40 and is due in September.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and have a great trip.

Kez
    Last edited by jesmon; 14-07-2009 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for that advice jesmon.
    I do see how the time just slips by...Very sorry to hear about what you went through.

I guess I am getting my head round the idea that IVF is probably inevitable - and sooner rather than later. If we go down the IVF route, then I will be looking for s/one who is open to alternative approaches if their's aren't working, ie DHEA, assisted hatching etc.

Reading many posts and having some knowledge of the medical industry through working in a lab previously have taught me that we need to be pushy sometimes.