+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Handling a newborns sleep needs with a toddler and active lifestyle?

I'd really appreciate some advice from people with active lifestyles about how to handle a baby's sleep needs when you have to go out.

With my first DS I was housebound (by choice) so I could always put him to bed when he needed to go, but I don't have that option all the time now.

I have a very active toddler who has playgroup and other activities, and my 4 week old seems to be quite easily stimulated and unable to switch off in the car or the pram.

Did your baby just have to "suck it up" (for want of a better phrase) or did you have strategies to teach them to sleep when they needed too?

My 4 week old is often going stretches of awake time as long as four hours, and as we speak, he's into his fifth hour. It's getting a bit out of control and is affecting his entire day as well as night sleep.

Some advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through this not long ago. I tried slings and everything because i did attachment parenting with DS.

With DD what worked was keeping her awake from 7am until 11am (when DS has his nap), then awake time from 2pm to 7pm(when DS goes to bed). I would feed DD and change her if she woke up at other times but kept interaction minimal. She is now in a great routine. Same as DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably a stupid questions - but have you got the pram covered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda71 View Post
    Probably a stupid questions - but have you got the pram covered?
    Yes, I tried covered and uncovered, didn't make a difference, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya

I have a 12 week old and a nearly 2 year old. We are out most mornings to keep DD entertained so my bub has just had to suck it up I guess, it was harder when he was around four weeks as we were having feeding issues so I would try the pram and if that doesn't work its the sling or whatever works. I usually have them both in bed around 12.30ish and most of the time we are home for the rest of the arvo so bub will have a long nap then a short one before bed at about 7.30.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took DD back to work with me when she was 6 weeks old..nannying with a 4 and 6 year old. DD eventually learnt to sleep on the run..the sling was great. But she was a terrible stickybeak, and will push on through if she thinks she is missing out on something. A baby swing may be helpful for you. I know this has worked brilliantly for a lot of other friends.
    I just wanted to say....try and time your sleeps so that some coincide, so you can have a rest yourself.