+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jag5000 is offline "tickled pink"
    Winner 2008 Most helpful member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default early closing fontanelle?

I spoke to a friend today who was very concerned that she had just been told that her Dr (or MCHN not sure which) had said that her 9 week old baby front fontanelle has already closed. I didn't speak to her at length as she was upset, but it's something I had never heard of before.

Anyone know anything about this? is it a problem? what kind of effects can it have?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I can not answer what is wrong with it but I know that usualy it is not completely closed until about the middle of the second year.
    I remember it from one of the baby's books I read

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    *bump* to see if the morning people have any idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I know one mum from the childrens who's bub had this amoungst other issues, sometimes it can cause pressure to build up in the brain but other bubs seem to have no problems with it at all.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The mchn commented at dd's 1st year checkup that hers was almost completely closed then, 6 months early apparently. Between 18-24 months is the normal time for it to completely close over.

I have heard of this before, I think sometimes it can result in needing an operation of some sort, because the head can't grow properly.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There,
    I also discovered that my ds fontenelle was very small at 2 months, my paed said just to keep an eye on it. I must say I did panic a lot about it. I kept feeling etc... (also it did not help that I googled all about it, and learnt all about the worst case scenario.) By about a year it had closed completely. He is two in october, so far so good. His head growth rate has progressed as normal during this time and he has reached all is milestones. So sometimes it does happen. I think you just need to be aware of it to keep an eye on it.
    Meg

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is a teacher and has had a couple of kids come through with this issue. As far as I am aware worst case if closed completely too early the child will need an operation to allow the head to expand and grow (which is what the fontanelle allows I think).
    These kids have had to pretty much have their skulls cut to let the head grow (sorry not very well worded) but the scar is under the hair so once it grows back there isn't really visable scar (unless they shave their heads I guess)
    I agree with the others that it seems to be a bit of a wait and see sort of thing.
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks all

have been googling and and found that it sometimes causes something called craniosynostosis. Doesn't sound good sounds like surgery. Poor lil' bubba

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just been through the same experience, although my bubs was a little older. At her 4 month check-up with the health nurse (who always freaks me out about something!), she said that my baby's front (anterior) fontanelle was nearly closed. The fontanelle needs to be open for some time b/c it provides a space for the brain to grow. If it closes prematurely, there is obviously no room for brain to grow, therefore, surgery if often needed to allow more room. Sometimes, however, the fontanelle can be open, but just feels as though its shut (b/c of hard skull). The only way to confirm this is through ultrasound. Anyway, in my case, the health nurse advised I get an ultrasound of my baby's skull to check ut what was happening. We did this at 5 months, and even though it was almost closed, the doctor/sonographer said that this falls within the normal range (4 months - 18 months). As long as the head circumference continues to grow, and the developmental milestones are being met, that is the main thing. Is the skull/head a funny shape??
    Your friends 9 week bub may need an ultrasound (even for parental peace of mind). 9 weeks probably is a bit early for it to close, but then again, best to leave it to the experts. I know how stressful it can be. My husband banned me from using google b/c it just stressed me out even more! Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    my friends bub had this problem to the extent that he required surgery and yes they do crack the skills and separate so the brain can grow. he then needs to have another op later to fix it up. it does sound scary, but as far as I am aware he is fine atm and it is a routine thing for the problem. he had it done around 3 months I think??? His was quite severe.

I hope your friends bub does not require surgery, but if the bub does- at least you can say that you have heard of successful ops.