+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default why don't dr's take mums concerns seriously?

DD has had a very red, puffy and teary eye since May. Took her to gp and got eye ointment and antibiotics to treat conjunctivitis - fair enough. It didn't go away but was just told to keep on with eye ointment. Went to hospital and saw a doctor there who said it looked like a blocked tear duct and referred us to opthamologist. We waited two hours to see the opthamologist for him to see us for less than a minute and tell us he couldn't see anything. Her eye started looking cloudy so decided to get one more opinion and saw a different gp yesterday who agreed that her eye was a concern and made an emergency appointment with a pediatric opthamologist.
    Saw him today and he has diagnosed her with congential glaucoma and she is booked in tomorrow at Westmeads Children's Hospital for an eye operation. I've spoken to other mums who are also frustrated for being dismissed as overconcerned parents even though the problem persists for months. Anyone else find they are not taken seriously?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is so commen and is why if your not happy with a GP find a new one.
    If your at the hospital and not happy ask for a second opinion there and then.

Your poor little girl I hope the op goes smoothly and she is feeling better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    ha! i just went thru this today,
    saw a random doc, to get a referal to a pead for J's reflux/feeding issues and the doctor just kept saying
    'oh, but you're a first time mum right?'
    like im some sort of idiot!

and
    'oh, 'these' babies are put under the colicky name',
    im like, he's not colicky, he has REFLUXm diagnosed by a few doctors, i dont need a diagnosis, i need a referal!

a hole.

it would be great if mothers intuition was taken more seriously,
    i hope your little petal is better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That is a horrible condition to go undiagnosed. Hope the op goes well tomorrow for your DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hear ya, took me 9 months and about 5 g.p's to realise DS was lactose intollerant. I took him to the dr weekly and they just kept telling me stuff that I had already done, when i finally got ds to a paed he just told me that the drs were full of it, should have seen what was wrong and made DS suffer for no reason, had it been left his bowel could have twisted sick of people thinking that just cause its your first you are stupid and over bearing grrr

ETA: good luck for your DD tomorrow btw *mojo*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lachys_mama View Post
    sick of people thinking that just cause its your first you are stupid and over bearing grrr

now J is on the right medication, he is a different baby!
    silly silly doctors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think doctors lack compassion and empathy... I hate it.. I only go to 1 specific doctor which has 2 kids of her own so she undestands my concerns and is very reassuring.

FFS its not that hard to go "I understand that you are distressed and seeing baby this way is upsetting.. this is what it is/this is what it could be and this is what we are going to do... if it still doesn't work or you are gettin even more concerned please come back..."

ARGHHhh

//rant...

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's terrible and it makes you wonder how many children go undiagnosed and for some really serious conditions it's too late to fix it...

I'm really worried about DS's cough atm, he wakes up in coughing fits nightly and has a running yellow/green leakage from his nose every morning. This has been happening for 3 weeks and the GP says "it's totally normal for this to happen in the cold weather." -.-

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't feel comfortable with your drs diagnosis, go to another one and another one until you get an answer that you are satisfied with or to confirm if its normal... doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. If you don't have the time ask a pharmacist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think the Health System is to blame! There are a shortage of GP's which means the ones we do have are over worked and over stressed!

If there were more GP's each consultation would be longer.

We would be able to see the same GP each time and build a relationship with the GP.

The GP would get to know each of his/her patients and hopefully be more compassionate towards their health care needs.

Of course there will always be the GP's who are just plain bad at the there jobs! But with an ambundance of GP's available to us we wouldnt go to those ones anyway!