+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My baby was born with no fingernail?

HI, our baby girl Emily (now 17 weeks) was born with no nail plate on her pinky finger with no signs of any growth so far.

We mentioned it to the doctors and peadiatrician and all say it will grow but we have seen nothing to indicate that.

I've had a search on the internet finding the term "simple anonychia" to be the closest explanation for it. "
    Absence of nails at birth is extremely rare. Anonychia results from failure of nail fields to form or from failure of the proximal nail folds to form nail plates. The abnormality is permanent. It may be associated with congenital absence or extremely poor development of hairs and with abnormalities of the teeth. Anonychia may be restricted to one or more nails of the digits of the hands and/or feet."
    Has anyone else heard of or experienced this with their babies?
    Would love to hear from anyone who might have more info on this.
    Thanks

Broni

Hooves is offline My children/my legacy, the best of me is inside them.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry hun, I have never heard of it, either. Just wanted to let you know, someone cared.

Hope you find some more info, and can share with others, in similar situation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello!

How is your baby now?

I'm seventeen years old and I was born with no pinky nails in my left hand and left foot. I researched about anonychia and it may be related to another defect. I was also born with a congenital heart defect; my parents have had my heart fixed already. So, I was thinking maybe your daughter has similar problems?

Anyway, lacking nails in two of my pinkies have had no effect on me whatsoever. People think its cute. So, I hope you and your baby all the best!

- ACS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ds had no nail on one of his little toes up until just recently, I can see a tiny little nail starting to grow (he is 7 months)
    even if she doesn't grow it, I wouldn't be worried, it's nothing major. If it really bothered her when she is older she could just stick a fake one on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplatzer View Post
    How is your baby now?

I'm seventeen years old and I was born with no pinky nails in my left hand and left foot. I researched about anonychia and it may be related to another defect. I was also born with a congenital heart defect; my parents have had my heart fixed already. So, I was thinking maybe your daughter has similar problems?

Anyway, lacking nails in two of my pinkies have had no effect on me whatsoever. People think its cute. So, I hope you and your baby all the best!

- ACS
    Hi Amplatzer,

Thanks for replying to our message - just re-reading what I posted as she was 17 weeks back then, she's now 17 months! Yes Em was born with Tetrology of Fallot a (CHD) too. That must be the link? Has anyone bothered to look into it further for you ie. doctors or the Genetisits? Em had her Open Heart Surgery repair back when she was just 7 months and is doing great. Did you get teased at school about your nails or were you ever concerned about being just that little bit different? I know it's nothing major but it's something that still has to be explained to her when she is older as to why the nail is not there. Same as having to explain why her heart isnt as strong as the other kids etc. Can I ask what CHD you had? Nice to finaly find someone else with the same problem. (well not that it's a problem but you know what I mean).

Great to hear from you. looking forward to chatting to you more on this.

Broni

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BronisEm View Post
    Hi Amplatzer,

Thanks for replying to our message - just re-reading what I posted as she was 17 weeks back then, she's now 17 months! Yes Em was born with Tetrology of Fallot a (CHD) too. That must be the link? Has anyone bothered to look into it further for you ie. doctors or the Genetisits? Em had her Open Heart Surgery repair back when she was just 7 months and is doing great. Did you get teased at school about your nails or were you ever concerned about being just that little bit different? I know it's nothing major but it's something that still has to be explained to her when she is older as to why the nail is not there. Same as having to explain why her heart isnt as strong as the other kids etc. Can I ask what CHD you had? Nice to finaly find someone else with the same problem. (well not that it's a problem but you know what I mean).

Great to hear from you. looking forward to chatting to you more on this.

Broni
    By CHD, I suppose you mean Coronary Heart Disease?

Anyway, I was diagnosed with VSD when I was younger, but turns out it was PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus). I've already had my heart procedure, so I'm doing great.

It's good to know that she's had her heart operated on already. Have the doctors said anything about her nails? I can barely recall anyone teasing me about my pinky. They've said it's cute. Most likely, she will not face any problems regarding her nails either. If I may know, which of her fingers lack nails?

Oh yeah, growing up I was just as active as the other kids--I'd play sports: soccer, basketball, etc. So, maybe she'd be able to do the same, too.

Best regards!

- ACS

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow Id never heard of this before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl was born with no finger nail on her ring finger! The doctors had never heard of it before! They took photos looked it up on the Internet. They had no idea why it had happened! But anyway Arielle is nearly 7 now and still no sign of a nail! Her finger is a weird shape at the end very pointed! She is a 2 middle finger sucker and has done since she was 3 weeks old, I sometimes wonder if that is the reason! Did she do it all along while I was pregnant with her? We have never made a big deal about it and tell her she is special because of it! She has never been teased at school but it's not something anyone would notice! I often wonder what will happen when she grows into a young lady And how she will deal with it?
    Last edited by Shona64; 18-07-2012 at 14:44.