+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2nd child in mid-late 30s: what are the risks?

I've recently turned 37 and thinking of TTC our second child. Not 100% sure and so am also thinking about other options e.g. o/s adoption, fostering.
    Does anyone know what risks are associated with having a child at this age - both for the child and for the mama?
    I gather there's reduced fertility; increased risk of Downs Syndrome (though how much increase I'm not sure...)...anything else major?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave birth for the first time at 42. I had a fantastic pregnancy & no complications during the pregnancy. My OB treated me the same as a woman in her 20's. I read lots of stuff that scared me about all that could go wrong but none of it happened.

The DS risk does increase as you get older - steadily after 35. I just looked it up for you and one site claimed at 38 the risk is 1/177. Another said 1/180, another 1/259 so who knows really.

Although doctors don't take it into account some research has shown that women over 35 who have partners over 40 have double the risk of DS than women 35 + who have partners 24 or under. I fell into the second category & although I had a 1/37 risk factor my son does not have it. Be prepared to have an amnio if you do get such a result.

Other chromosonal defects are more likely as well as your age increases.

Reduced fertility or infertility can be an issue, but I was actually more fertile in my 40's than ever before.

The biggest risk is miscarriage - particularly early miscarriage. I think between 35 & 40 it's something like 20-25% chance of a miscarriage.

You would be at more risk of experiencing:
    - gestational diabetes
    - placenta praevia
    - high blood pressure
    - still birth (still very low risk though)
    - blood clots during the pregnancy & for 6 months afterwards

As for the birth - there's an increased risk of instrumental delivery (I ended up with a vac delivery), induction & c section.

If you are in good health you may end up with a nice easy pregnancy like I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps Amara

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best of luck.. i think if you want another baby and didnt have any problems the first time round.. well i wouldnt go stressing about any problems this time around.. plenty of people that are young have ds babies and m/c's.. i dont really like them high percentage because you are older survey things.. i was also told that ds babies are more likely to happen to younger mothers.. i think they ask the older mothes to have the amnio's because if the child has ds then its going to be like a "burden" on you in later years