ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pink x 2 is offline I love my girls more than the breath I take!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is your BEST EVER FAVOURTE recipe of all time? YOUR SIGNATURE DISH!!!

Hi girls,

I'm after some fantastic recipes as I am in the mood to cook up a storm!

So I'm starting this thread to get everyones most favourite recipe of all time.
    Whether it be:

a main meal you'd serve for dinner to your family or a bit fancier to serve to dinner guests

a dessert

a cake/slice/biscuit

or a faboulously simple yet entertaining nibbly.

Just to start it, I have a very quick simple idea that seems to be a hit every time and many of my friends now also make it:

Chocolate dipped strawberries - wash strawberries, dip about 15 in white melted chocolate and 15 in dark chocolate. While chocolate is still soft on strawberries, pipe fine lines of the contrasting chocolate on strawberries (ie. pipe white chocolate lines over the dark chocolate covered strawberries and vice versa)
    Place in fridge till chocolate is hard.
    Serve on a tray and voila - all done!!!

I keep the green bits on the strawberries so you have something to hold onto when eating them. Any try and use the bigger size strawberries if you can get them.

I've served this up at a casual bbq and also a fancy dinner party and people love them sooo much.

So girls.....whats your SIGNATURE DISH?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do a pretty mean carbonara for the family and for a bit more complex dish I do a mushroom risotto or for egg lovers I do a roasted pumpking and spinach fritatta with a side of balsamic salad..

for dessert I do continental passionfruit cheesecake with mango coulis

pink x 2 is offline I love my girls more than the breath I take!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lachys_mama View Post
    I do a pretty mean carbonara for the family and for a bit more complex dish I do a mushroom risotto or for egg lovers I do a roasted pumpking and spinach fritatta with a side of balsamic salad..

for dessert I do continental passionfruit cheesecake with mango coulis

They all sound soooo yummy!
    We want the recipe please !!!!

C'mon girls share your recipes!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My signature "main" dish is a spinach and pinenut quiche.

My special treat that I cook often for supper is little heart shaped pastry things with demerara sugar and cinnamon, or apple/cinnamon pastries.

jag5000 is offline "tickled pink"
    Winner 2008 Most helpful member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wasabi beef is what I often pull out when I'm looking for an 'need to impress' dish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5000 View Post
    wasabi beef is what I often pull out when I'm looking for an 'need to impress' dish.
    can you please share the recipe? i have been looking out for a recipe using wasabi for ages, and i just can't find any i like online.

To the OP, i don't know if i have a signature dish yet. So i'll go with home-made pizza
    i'll post the recipe tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I make a chicken stir fry that even the Filipino SMIL was impressed by. I put up a rough recipe cos I've always just thrown it together.

a knob of ginger
    a clove of garlic
    oil
    500g chicken (preferably thigh cos its juicier)
    a heap of veges (I usually use a bunch of baby bok choy, a carrot, a red capsicum, 100g snow peas, fresh baby corn and sometimes yellow capsicums)
    about that of soy sauce
    about 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
    a pack of thin hokkien noodles

fry the ginger and garlic in the oil until fragrant. Add the chicken and toss until browned. Add veges and cook for a minute then add the sauces (you can guess how much soy sauce you'll need at this stage but remember there will have to be enough sauce to cover the noodles too). Let this cook for a minute or two and then add the noodles (depending on the brand you use you may have to soak them first but I use brands that don't need it). Toss it all together and allow to cook until noodles are heated through.

On special occasions I can make whatever I put my mind to as long as I have a recipe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My current favourite main meal recipe is for portugese chicken - I'm sorry I don't know exact quantities I kind of make it up

Marinade
    Smoked paprika (couple of tablespoons)
    Olive oil (1/2 cup?)
    2 Birdseye chillies chopped (or to taste)
    Fresh oregeno chopped (2-3 handfuls)
    Lime juice (approx equal amount to the oil)
    Brown sugar (couple of tablespoons)

Basically you throw all the ingredients in a ceramic or glass bowl and butterfly a whole chicken and chuck it in to marinade. I leave it for ages, 24 hours is fine.

Then, fire up the BBQ and you get the most delicious caramely, limey spicey chicken ever. I usually serve with rice and salad

It's so simple but everyone raves about it! If you like you can use chicken peices and the oven instead of the BBQ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Steamboat.

A wok full of tasty stock or soup base on a burner in the centre of the table
    Platters of chopped veg, meats and noodles.
    Lots of yummy condiments.

Everyone help themselves!

Great for dinner parties cause it means I'm not in the kitchen cooking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ok here goes...

mushroom risotto:

several different types of mushrooms
    (I like to use swiss brown, button, shiitake, oyster, and straw) and I usually do about 500g...

1.5 cups of aborio rice
    2L chicken or vege stock (heated)
    1/2 onion diced
    1-2 cloves fresh garlic diced or roughly chopped
    1/2 cup white wine (optional)
    100g chopped butter

sautee onion and garlic in the butter until onions are soft, add rice, cook until rice is slightly toasted and completely covered in butter, add mushrooms and stir through well...

using a ladle spoon in stock slowly (this is done one ladle at a time. you do not add more stock until the last ladle full is absorbed by the rice) continue doing this until the rice is tender and glossy, serve garnished with shaved parmesan and parsley...

passionfruit swirl continental cheesecake << link from site here

Gelatine is the secret to making this easy and tangy no-cook fruit-filled cheesecake.

Ingredients (serves 12)

• 1 x 250g pkt Arnott's Butternut Snap Cookies
    • 100g butter, melted
    • 2 tbs hot water
    • 1 tbs gelatine powder
    • 9 passionfruit, halved
    • 2 x 250g pkts cream cheese, at room temperature
    • 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
    • 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar

Method

1. Line a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) slab pan with non-stick baking paper.
    2. Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until well combined. Use a large spoon to spread and press the biscuit mixture firmly over the base of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
    3. Meanwhile, place the water in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle with the gelatine. Place the bowl in a saucepan. Add enough boiling water to the pan to come halfway up the side of the bowl. Stir until the gelatine dissolves. Set aside to cool slightly.
    4. Place the passionfruit pulp in a fine sieve over a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press the juice from the pulp into the bowl (you'll need 1/3 cup of passionfruit juice in step 5). Reserve the pulp and seeds.
    5. Use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, cream and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Beat in the passionfruit juice. Beat in the gelatine mixture. Pour into the prepared pan. Spoon the reserved pulp over the cheesecake mixture. Use a flat-bladed knife to swirl the pulp through the mixture. Tap the pan on the benchtop a few times to settle the mixture. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to set. Cut into squares to serve.

Notes & tips

• To give your cheesecake a swirled effect, spoon passionfruit over the mixture, then use a flat-bladed knife to swirl it through the mixture.
    MANGO COULIS 200g mango flesh
    50-100g sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
    50ml water
    Zest of lemon and orange
    Sprigs mint
    1/2 tsp ground cardamom

Simmer ingredients for about 3-5 minutes. Blend coulis, strain and allow to cool.