ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How early have you taken bub on holiday

DH and I had a nice weekend away to Melb planned a few weeks ago!
    It was meant to be one of those relaxing things we could do together before our bundle arrives
    Anyway, we didn't end up going because of the swine flu (dr's advised us).
    We got a voucher from the airline that we can transfer onto another flight due to the circumstances, but we have to fly by July 2010!
    Our little one will be around 9months old.

Can anyone suggest anywhere to go to that could be child friendly?
    Also, has anyone travelled with a 9month old - was it difficult?
    Maybe I need to push for an extension ?
    (we are from NSW)

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Zoe was 7 weeks when we went on holidays at Christmas time last year. I think you should be fine to travel when bub is that old - you just need to be prepared and remember that you can't do all of the things you might of otherwise done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if ur worried see if you can talk the airline into giving u a name transferable voucher...DH and I had to cancel our non-refundable plane tickets in Jan due to the Fiji floods and the airline was lovely and gave us name transferable credit even though our tickets were non-refundable, non-changeable

P.S. DH and I are planning on taking bubs camping over chrissy it works out
    Last edited by trixiebelle17; 30-06-2009 at 10:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took DS1 to America, England, Portugal and Singapore when he was 10 months old.

It is definitely do-able.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS on a road trip over 1000K each way at 5 months old and stayed away for a week in between. Also did summer holidays at 11 months old and camping before he was 1.

All good, you just need to allow time in the schedule for feeding and changing etc and have the nappy bags prepared. I figure if you can look after your baby at home, you can look after them anywhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    We took DS1 to America, England, Portugal and Singapore when he was 10 months old.

It is definitely do-able.
    My DH mentioned Thailand...
    I know that USA and England are obv very different to Thailand but Im assuming its safe to take 10mo bubs overseas when all their vacc's aren't done????

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is safe to take young ones overseas before being fully vaccinated as long as you stay in the main cities. I wouldn't recommend you taking them into the jungles but I doubt that is what you are thinking.

A great website is smartraveller.gov.au. It tells you all the risks for each country and also if they advise you to stay away.

You will also have to be careful with the water supply doesn't matter where you go. It is best to stick with bottled water or water you have boiled for at least 5 mins.

HTH. You will be fine. I totally agree with KTS, if you can look after them at home, you can look after them anywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going on a family holiday to Noosa (flying) when our little man will be 7 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS to melbourne (from Sydney) for the weekend when he was 4 mths. Its a good time to fly because you can still feed them to sleep at start of flight and they miss ear pressure and boredom of flight. But it costs extra - Car hire (with baby seat), parking car at airport (both to avoid waiting for taxis with baby seat) and comfortable size hotel room (we got an apartment).

But we took the umbrella stroller, and had a great time walking around Melbourne streets and parks, and everyone is very friendly so we took DS in and out of cafes restaurants and shops all weekend with no dirty looks. Caught trams, again, no problems. Had a great weekend.

But if you do go TAKE PLENTY OF WARM CLOTHES FOR BUB!!! We didn't realise how cold it would be. People gave us sideways looks cos DS was dressed in 'Sydney winter' clothes, while all the Melb babies were rugged up like eskimoes. We felt guilty and ended up buying him extra hats and blankets while down there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS on his first holiday at 5 weeks, but admittedly it wasn't on a plane but it involved a day's driving nonetheless, and he was great.

We took DS on his first plane trip at 6 months and it was also great.

Only bummer about traveling with such young ones is all the stuff you have to take LOL! I personally think it's easier to take younger ones on a plane as they don't want to move that much and are happily consolable with boob/ bottle/ food/ whichever they prefer!

Now with DS at 18 months I couldn't imagine taking him on a plane as he doesn't want to sit still for more than 5 minutes at the best of times, let alone being on a plane that's strange and interesting and offers oodles of places to explore! He'd be running up and down the aisles and wanting to climb over the seats etc