View Poll Results: Do you agree with paid surrogacy being introduced in Australia?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

15 28.30%
  • Un-decided/not sure

10 18.87%
  • My yes or no decision woud be based upon specific legislation to protect all parties - pls explain?

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    JackzMumma is offline My family is finally complete!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasma View Post
    I may be naive and blind when it comes to this but I really don't see what the problem is with it.

Through necessity a woman has to have a hysterectomy at a young age, however she retains her ovaries and eggs. Why then when she gets older and falls in love and wants a family should she be denied the right to have a biological child, just because she doesn't have an 'oven'?
    And I don't believe I have the right to decide for these people, I don't know what I would do in their position. If both parties are in agreement, then so be it, I don't have a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sooz77 View Post
    Who exactly is being exploited if all parties agree to it and are happy with the terms of the agreement?
    Once again, it's too open to abuse and exploitation.

Just think about it for a moment and read the previous posts and I'm sure you will work it out.

Once you bring money into these arrangements, the corruption begins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a black market already exists. I have a friend who is looking for a egg donor. She cant advertise it but she has openly told me she would pay the woman and pay her a alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think paid surrogacy should be legal in Australia.

Its a massive thing to do for another and if I required I would feel fine paying someone for that service.

It would prevent 'off shore paid surrogacy' and the issues with that. Many woman would only go 'off shore' because its not legal to pay an Australian woman.
    It would also possibly see less of the under the counter payments that occur now.

I think that it should be regulated and capped at a certain fee.

I would like to see adoption become a more viable option here though.
    The simple fact is though, adoption is never going to become a viable option here. There is a very small number of local adoption placements per year - normally well under 60 adoption placements for the ENTIRE of Australia - I would know of that many families that have gone onto the local listing within VICTORIA in the last 5 to 6 years and this wouldn't even include those already on the listing and in the other states.

With ICA (inter-country adoption) it currently would take about 4 (maybe) to 10 years for the process in WA and VIC. It might only take 3 to 8 years in NSW or SA. Australia is never going to introduce enough overseas programs - it doesn't even work at 'replacing' the countries whose listings close.

Oh and it costs a a significant amount of money to do ICA but often LA is only the family law court fees.

Yes it needs to be heavily regulated, but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt happen.

I actually think ALL surrogates should be paid / reimbursed for time off work, time unavailable to their own families etc ... not just for medical expenses...
    Agreed

I think it would be terrible, and IS terrible in the US and overseas elsewhere. What you end up with (but which is seldom acknowledged) is a lot of poor women having babies for the money who don't really want to give them up but see themselves with little other earning power and possibly lie about their health status as well since their interests (financial at least) lie in completing the contract not in honestly helping someone.
    So you have chatted with a range of surro's in the USA?
    I doubt this is it at all and from the wide range of surro's both here and in the USA I have chatted with there are few that lie to IP's (intended parents) about their health status because too much is at risk. And most can't envision the idea of keeping a child created through surro - after all if they are 'poor' as YOU say they are how would they afford this 'additional' child.

a. most surrogates use their own eggs and donated sperm, not donated eggs. So biologically it IS their child. That's the whole point. Rarely eggs and sperm will be donated and a surrogate will get IVF.

Actually you are WRONG, particularly in terms of those using surrogates in Australia and the USA, most surrogacy situations involved GS not TS

GS= gestational surrogacy - the intended parents create embies via IVF and the GS has them transferred to her.

TS = traditional surrogacy - the intended parents use their sperm and the TS uses her egg.

There are very few TS arrangements in australia - partly because the laws in this regard are so VERY vague and partly because many couples would do ED and carry the child themselves then do TS and also more people want the assistance of a GS over a TS.

If you look at the case of paid surrogacy in the USA, it hasn't worked out very well for them. There are court cases all the time and cases where the surrogate takes money from several prospective parents, surrogates effectively sell their baby to the highest bidder, and others are forced into surrogacy by abusive partners or as a means to escape their poverty. All terrible reasons to have a baby.
    the thing is you're only hearing what the media wants to share with you and unless you 'hang out' with surro's and the intended parent support groups you're unlikely to hear about all the wonderful situations and stories because basically these people are happy and aren't going around whinging to the media.

Because I honestly have no idea how a woman can in this case, carry a child for someone for 9 months as a gift, but loose 9 months income
    If they are 'working' it is unlikely to be a full 9mths off work - ie. most women don't take 9mths off to have their babies, some leave work a few weeks early

I like the NSW model which strongly encourages it being close friends and family as surrogates.
    Yes the NSW model is great but not everyone had family or friends coming forward to do this for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post
    Once again, it's too open to abuse and exploitation.

Just think about it for a moment and read the previous posts and I'm sure you will work it out.

Once you bring money into these arrangements, the corruption begins.

Yes but with proper regulation and legislation corruption can be contained. It's not hard for a trained professional to spot someone who's being forced or coerced into surrogacy so mandatory psychological evaluations would weed most of that out and stop any exploitation of women.
    Corruption already exists when it comes to surrogacy anyway. By legalising it you stop people who are desperate for a child being taken advantage of, you can put strict regulations around who can and can't become a surrogate and the number of times she can be a surrogate and you can cap the amount she gets paid.
    At the moment none of those controls are in place so both the surrogate and the couple are far more vulnerable and open to exploitation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiera3 View Post
    Another potential difficulty is the birth choices.

For example, if the child is breech, then the medical practicioners will reccommend a c/s. However, a breech vaginal birth is considered a viable and safe option by many. In the circumstances of a surrogacy situation, it is important that everyone knows who gets to decides, and have guidelines properly spelled out beforehand.
    ...I ticked the last box, that I couldn't really decide (although I err on the side of yes, it should be legal) until legislations etc were decided.
    A much bigger issue for me with surrogacy is the issue of abnormalities... what if the intending parents wanted to abort the baby if it showed up with DS or other abnormalities, but the surrogate did not? If I were to surrogate I would find it very difficult to abort a baby for any reason...yet I wouldn't be the one raising it. So whose choice is it then? I would not be the bio parent, but it would be my body that would be going through the abortion. Confusing much????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont know where I stand on this so undecided.
    I would only do it for free for a sis or best friend cos I can see their pain and know them.
    It's a risk to me and my family having to go through a preg and birth so I think getting paid is a good idea, but humans find away to take advantage and being paid ups the advantage taking iykwim.
    I just dont know but I do think more women would b surros if there was a $$ incentive cos it's a risk and it's 9months of ur life. If u were doing a job for that long all day every day u would b paid and a fair bit depending what u do.

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't say I agree with the idea of someone treating surrogacy as a 'job' as has been suggested by a few people. I think its open to exploitation and abuse whether it be in India or here in Australia. And its a high risk way of making money. Pregnancy takes a toll on a woman's body and someone might complete their family with 'easy pregnancies' but this doesn't mean that every pregnancy will be problem free. If a woman is having multiple pregnancies, effectively farming herself out, then she is at higher risk of osteoporosis through loss of calcium amongst other things. I find the idea of a woman selling her body like that a little disturbing to be honest. It is vastly different to sperm donation which takes no toll on a man's body.

I am not against surrogacy per se, and I believe surrogates should be compensated for medical costs, and lost time at work if necessary. But I do not support 'paid' surrogacy as such (where profit is intended) and definitely don't support encouraging people to see it as a job opportunity.
    Last edited by Sparklydreamer; 29-06-2009 at 10:08.