View Poll Results: Do you agree with paid surrogacy being introduced in Australia?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

15 28.30%
  • Un-decided/not sure

10 18.87%
  • My yes or no decision woud be based upon specific legislation to protect all parties - pls explain?

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Babies are NOT a commodity

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there's quite a good argument that "medical and out of pocket expenses" (you are allowed to pay her travel too btw) could include income insurance. That is NOT paying her to have time off during the pg, but it covers her for non-voluntary loss of income. I think that would be a fair compromise and could easily be argued to be wtihin the existing law in some states.

I don't believe you should be on the hook for her medical consequences more than the immediate ones (say in the first feew months pp). She chose to do it, she must know what the possible consequences of ANY pg are.

And I certainly don't think you should be able to buy someone's womb, or lease it for 9 months like the corner store. Hell, if I could get comfortable with that I could have made a mint in the US, I like being pg and I think I could give up any newborn who didn't give me 10 hours sleep at night (ie all of them). I could have been the perfecft surrogate, pity I think its immoral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppaH View Post
    I guess for me as a SAHM I would only want medical cover...If they WANTED to give more I wouldnt say no though.
    But, see - what if someone who didn't have the moral ethics that you do, became a surrogate and demanded or asked for extra money for 'reimbursement'.

It's such a minefield for everyone involved.

If surrogacy is done out of a genuine desire to help another couple/person, then the likelihood of heartbreak and exploitation is much less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont see the problem in it. I find it as helping people who cant carry their own children, so whats the big deal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post
    But, see - what if someone who didn't have the moral ethics that you do, became a surrogate and demanded or asked for extra money for 'reimbursement'.

If surrogacy is done out of a genuine desire to help another couple/person, then the likelihood of heartbreak and exploitation is much less.
    and I like the NSW model which strongly encourages it being close frienhds and family as surrogates. If someone you love is giving you this then its much less likely they (or you) will have less than honourable motives. Which to me is best for the child above all else. I wouldn't want to grow up and find I'd been sold off before birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post

OOO I have Moral Ethics Go me.... lol Not sure what it means but makes me feel all warm inside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I read in someones thread that was a journal of their journey as an egg donor, a side-effect from the EPU resulted in a complication that thankfully was caught early enough and only resulted in a couple of weeks of treatment. However, if not caught in time, then it could've easily resulted in the loss of her kidneys, and the lifelong complications of that.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
    a. most surrogates use their own eggs and donated sperm, not donated eggs. So biologically it IS their child. That's the whole point. Rarely eggs and sperm will be donated and a surrogate will get IVF.

There are 2 types of surrogacy
    - traditional surrogacy where the woman uses her own egg, either donated or the Fathers sperm and carries the baby

- gestational surrogacy, where the surrogate mothers eggs are not used. Either the Intended Parents own embryo is used, or a donated egg/sperm/embryo.

And this statement 'most surrogates use there own egg and donated sperm' is actually not quite the case - in actual fact, gestational surrogacy is the most common form of surrogacy.

In my own case, I have eggs, DH has sperm .... I just cannot carry a baby. We have considered surrogacy (briefly) but in the end decided it was not for us. If we were to ever go down that road, I would be much happier if it were legal for me to pay a surrogate more than just the medical expenses or out of pocket expenses. I would want to give that person something to make a meaningful difference in their life, as they would be making in mine. I could never ask someone to do such a HUGE thing, and not do something incredibly special for them to show just HOW much I appreciate their gift and their effort in giving.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theearpiercingfairy View Post
    Babies are NOT a commodity
    This is not selling babies. It is paying to rent a uterus and birth canal.

IVF is not free, fertility treatment is not free, lot's of things are not free. Why should surrogacy be any different?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another potential difficulty is the birth choices.

For example, if the child is breech, then the medical practicioners will reccommend a c/s. However, a breech vaginal birth is considered a viable and safe option by many. In the circumstances of a surrogacy situation, it is important that everyone knows who gets to decides, and have guidelines properly spelled out beforehand.

For example, I myself, if I were to be a surrogate, would ensure the recipients were aware that I strongly favour natural birth methods, and would only resort to intervention in the most extreme cases of obvious risk. However a parent who was looking for a surrogate to carry their last embryo (from before they had cancer treatment for example) would likely rather a surrogate that would choose to accept whatever medical intervention was recommended by practicioners.