View Poll Results: Do you agree with paid surrogacy being introduced in Australia?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

15 28.30%
  • Un-decided/not sure

10 18.87%
  • My yes or no decision woud be based upon specific legislation to protect all parties - pls explain?

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post
    Some people enjoy having unusual sexual relations, too. To do so voluntarily is fine, to be paid to do so is morally and ethically wrong to many of our society.
    Morally and ethically wrong to some, but for the most part, not illegal. As long as if they only occur between consenting adults and if money changes hands it is within the highly regulated industry it is allowable under our system. Surrogacy could be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppaH View Post
    I dont quite understand the question... If I was to be a surrigate I would only want my medical bills paid for, is that what you mean or do you mean accually paying the woman more then medical??
    The levels I can see are:

a) no costs at all
    b) medical costs only
    c) medical costs, and loss of income compensation
    d) medical costs, loss of income compensation, and a little extra to cover the risk of problems caused by the process
    e) medical costs, plus a significant sum to pay for the commodity.

There is also the side issue with (b) or (c) what if some complication causes a long-term medical problem. Will those costs be covered or just the surrogates tough-luck?

Personally, I think (c) is a good option, but would not be adverse to (b) or (d). I think (e) is very dangerous territory and a bad idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mermaid View Post
    I dont think thats the case that they dont want to give them up. Its not actually their baby biologically.

The woman that would feel a claim should not be selected as possible candidates.
    a. most surrogates use their own eggs and donated sperm, not donated eggs. So biologically it IS their child. That's the whole point. Rarely eggs and sperm will be donated and a surrogate will get IVF.

b. you're right, they aren't properly screened that's the whole problem - when money is a potential motive it is nearly impossible to screen out those women. Take money out and you're much more likely to only get women who really want to participate in the surrogacy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look at the case of paid surrogacy in the USA, it hasn't worked out very well for them. There are court cases all the time and cases where the surrogate takes money from several prospective parents, surrogates effectively sell their baby to the highest bidder, and others are forced into surrogacy by abusive partners or as a means to escape their poverty. All terrible reasons to have a baby.

I don't believe you should be able to buy and sell babies, just as I don't believe you should be able to auction a transplantable heart to the highest bidder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops! Double post!
    Last edited by canberramomma; 26-06-2009 at 14:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppaH View Post
    I dont quite understand the question... If I was to be a surrigate I would only want my medical bills paid for, is that what you mean or do you mean accually paying the woman more then medical??
    Paid surrogacy is to be paid for the act itsef, above and beyond medical fees.

I can see Katiesmum's point as really valid too.
    If you are paying medical bills, why would it not be right to pay any missed remuneration from whatever time (unexpectedly or not) working?

Otherwise it seems like a pretty massive added sacrifice.
    Say for example - the surrogate is working full time earning 50k - she develops medical complications/suffers severe morning sickness (sorry forgot the term for it) or is carrying multiples and is ordered to go on bed rest after suffering the morning sickness.

I think it would seem fair the couple wanting the woman to surrogate for them reimburse her and her family for the loss in income pro rata over 9 months..

Is this not included in altruistic surrogacy at all?
    Because I honestly have no idea how a woman can in this case, carry a child for someone for 9 months as a gift, but loose 9 months income
    (lets be honest for the cast above 30k lost income is a pretty big gift!)

Or are surrogates depending on being a SAHM or having a partner financially supporting the cost to support and nurture the unborn baby... kwim?

But then I fee unsure about the capping costs concept to make it fair - well from the couple getting the child sure, but what if the woman earned 90k? surely capping would exclude her or be unfair for her to sacrifice this as well as the 9 months carrying the donors chidl -from the theoretical surrogates point of view.

In my mind it seems it would target the less financially 'comfortable' for many reasons..

The possibililty couple wanting the child engaging someone as a surrogate that has a very low income job, or was on centrelink benefits as that would be the most affordable option to remunerate.

The SAHM being the only women actualy considered, as they earn no actual income to remunerate (athough surely would mean extra financial stress on their families)

Even braining storming for two minutes makes me realise how almost never ending the pre emptive legislation would need to be to cover every possibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Morally and ethically wrong to some, but for the most part, not illegal. As long as if they only occur between consenting adults and if money changes hands it is within the highly regulated industry it is allowable under our system. Surrogacy could be the same.
    I thought prostitution was illegal in most states?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I understand wanting the medical side covered, and reimbursing the women if time is needed off work.... However, you would think that the expecting family wouldnt pick someone from a high paying job if they have a problem with paying too much for loos of work from that women.
    I guess for me as a SAHM I would only want medical cover...If they WANTED to give more I wouldnt say no though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as it's strictly regulated and all parties undergo mandatory psychological evaluations, are made clear of their rights and everyone elses rights in the process I don't see why surrogates shouldn't be paid for their time and effort.
    By all means cap the amount they can be paid to stop unscrupulous women for auctioning off their wombs to the highest bidder and make them undergo medical screening and testing before they're accepted.
    Pregnancy is hard work, both physically and psychologically, to expect women to go through that for purely altruistic reasons is a bit ridiculous, especially considering men get paid for donating sperm!
    People pay others to care for their children every day in every country of the world, surely this is just another way in which they can do so?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Canberramomma

found this on wiki

Street prostitution is illegal in all states of Australia except NSW where it is prohibited near churches, schools, hospitals and similar venues.[1] In addition to the summaries provided below, brothels are often regulated by local council planning laws.
    Prostitution (exchanging sex for money) is legal all over Australia. Brothels are legal in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and Australian Capital Territory. They are illegal in South Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania and Western Australia.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast