View Poll Results: Do you agree with paid surrogacy being introduced in Australia?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

15 28.30%
  • Un-decided/not sure

10 18.87%
  • My yes or no decision woud be based upon specific legislation to protect all parties - pls explain?

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see a problem with it as long as it's adequately regulated. If a couple can't find a friend/family member/kind soul to do it for them then why not. The regulations would have to be water tight and strict to the bone naturally. How many couples miss out because they can't find a surrogate? If this brings them more options then all the best to them as long as both sides are covered ethically. It's a wonderful idea and I fully support it.

Some people find it 'unethical' or against God or some other nonsense but the fact remains some just can't carry a child and if you can't find a kind soul, whether it's family, a friend or what not then the surrogate should be allowed the right to compensation, it's a risk for them after all. There will be kind souls out there who will do it for nothing regardless if their is compensation on offer - legally or illegally. You see it with organ transplants as it is, there are people who will steal them and sell them to you, people who will sell their own and people who will just give them away for nothing. People seem to have a problem with the money side of it, ever seen how much it costs to adopt a child within Australia? It's astro-friggin-nomical. I don't see people up in arms about adoptions being a business transaction which is exactly what it is. Most things are. If money was offered for blood donations we wouldn't have the blood shortages we have in this country. This list could go on and on. Saving someones life or creating new life - it's all the same. Everyone deserves a chance.
    Last edited by belonna; 26-06-2009 at 14:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mermaid View Post
    Surrogacy in some form is as old as the bible

Yeah and see how well that worked out for them

Hagar was not given a choice to become pregnant .. she was made to by Sarai

both Hagar and her son were thrown out by Sarai.. once the old bird popped out her own son..

Sarai.. a selfish nasty woman of a slave owner that used her poor slave as a incubator and then when she was fed up with her and her son to her husband expelled them.

GEN 21:10 "...and she said to Abraham, 'Get rid of that slave
    woman and her son, for that slave woman's son will never share
    in the inheritance with my son Isaac.'"

NOT the best example of surrogacy going right.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I dont have a problem with paid surrogacy in Australia either.

Yes it needs to be heavily regulated, but that doesnt mean that it shouldnt happen.

Some women genuinely like being pregnant, they genuinely like giving birth and can emotionally seperate themselves from the baby if it is a gestational surrogacy (ie not their own egg). Why should they not be able to do this in order to provide a benefit for their own family?

If it were available, there would be any number of takers not just from poor sections of the community but from middle class as well .... some women see it as something they can do for someone else whilst providing for their family as well.

I actually think ALL surrogates should be paid / reimbursed for time off work, time unavailable to their own families etc ... not just for medical expenses... (now I am the one ducking for cover )

It is hard though. I do appreciate the argument of 'how do you stop exploitation of the poor... how do you ensure that it is in fact free choice and not simply the only alternative?'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some people enjoy having unusual sexual relations, too. To do so voluntarily is fine, to be paid to do so is morally and ethically wrong to many of our society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    Yeah and see how well that worked out for them

Hagar was not given a choice to become pregnant .. she was made to by Sarai

both Hagar and her son were thrown out by Sarai.. once the old bird popped out her own son..

Sarai.. a selfish nasty woman of a slave owner that used her poor slave as a incubator and then when she was fed up with her and her son to her husband expelled them.

GEN 21:10 "...and she said to Abraham, 'Get rid of that slave
    woman and her son, for that slave woman's son will never share
    in the inheritance with my son Isaac.'"

NOT the best example of surrogacy going right.
    Yeah. Not a big fan of Sara here either.

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    From what I remember reading in the "indian Surrogacy thread" - Australian's are not in a position to be Abused for Money .. something along the lines of "they can access Salvation Army, Centerlink benifits, ie) - Dunno how to multiquote from another thread.

IMHO - I think it's perfectly fine to offer it. I can't afford IVF atm, Does not mean I think the Government should offer it for free (thou, to be honest, it would be nice)

Also, I have been Freaking lucky enough to have a baby of my own and recieve centerlink benifits (plus family tax) .. Is the government paying me to have my baby? am I being abused? Exploited? by not refusing that money? Isn't that infact Australia's way of paying me for having a child that will hopefully one day help our econemy? If not, why would they pay me? it's not out of love I imagine..

Infertile women are discriminated against daily, they are the leading role in any "Abduction" story, they are the nanny's that people go "crap, don't risk it, ya know, people who can't have their own babies might steal yours" - they are not supported by our government to access other alternatives, they are not seen as important (cause cHrist knows, if you can't add to society, what is your purpose exactly?) They are NOT seen as the exploited - who, have put their homes, lives, career on the backburner with NO support financially to just get a CHANCE at a family..

Sorry for the rant.. Paid surrogacy in a nation void of support, I can totally understand fears and emotions for, In Our "Lucky" Country, I say, Sound Body and Mind, want to take my Money, I will HAPPILY pay youy and NOT feel like I have exploited you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it w ould be terrible, and IS terrible in the US and overseas elsewhere. What you end up with (but which is seldom acknowledged) is a lot of poor women having babies for the money who don't really want to give them up but see themselves with little other earning power and possibly lie about their health status as well since their interests (financial at least) lie in completing the contract not in honestly helping someone.

I'm all for altruistic surrogacy but you need to fully screen both couples so they understand what they're entering, and have a few outs and understanding for both sides along the way. For instance what if the baby conceived has a defect, can the parents refuse to take it? What if the birth mother has a particularly difficult pregnancy and/or other circumstances in her life (her own children die or something) and she feels her position has fundamnetally changed and she can't give the baby up? I think those are such hard cases that money should never be a consideration.

Not to mention the fact I think its immoral to have a baby for money, or to buy or sell a baby.

Not too far from Jonathan Swift's babyfarming nightmare really.

And I'm someone who fully supports altruistic surrogacy, especially by people close to you who really genuinely ARE doing it out of love for you and nothing else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont quite understand the question... If I was to be a surrigate I would only want my medical bills paid for, is that what you mean or do you mean accually paying the woman more then medical??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
    is a lot of poor women having babies for the money who don't really want to give them up .
    I dont think thats the case that they dont want to give them up. Its not actually their baby biologically.

The woman that would feel a claim should not be selected as possible candidates.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was very strictly regulated, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Women have to put their children in care so that they can go to work. Paid surrogacy could provide an income so women could "work at home" while their children are young. It is something that I would consider if the option was available.

Pregnancy is hard work and not without risk, I don't see why surrogates should only do it for altruistic reasons.

I also think it would be much better to have it occur in Australia, where women are less likely to be exploited by the process, rather than in countries where women have much less rights in regards to their self determination.

I am sure that although the ethics of paid surrogacy would be difficult, they could be worked out.

*runs from the mob*