View Poll Results: Do you agree with paid surrogacy being introduced in Australia?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 35.85%
  • No

15 28.30%
  • Un-decided/not sure

10 18.87%
  • My yes or no decision woud be based upon specific legislation to protect all parties - pls explain?

11 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mermaid View Post

It would prevent 'off shore paid surrogacy' and the issues with that. Many woman would only go 'off shore' because its not legal to pay an Australian woman.

Im sure some mothers that have completed a family and find pregancy agrees with them would be able to make a good part time income from surrogacy.
    Mrs Mermaid, can you give me some insight as to the possible issues with off shore surrogacy - do you mean america or are you taking about the lack of protocol and law or the lack of them actualy existing or being enforced in developing nations/the global majority etc?

And with the other bit, do you think some women would consider it a job opportunity?

(I'm not trying to pick at your answer nor attack you, I'm genuinely interested in your pov)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forbetoel View Post
    I am against babies being part of a business deal. No money other than for medical bills should change hands.

Surrogacy is meant to be selfless gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeltronica View Post
    Mrs Mermaid, can you give me some insight as to the possible issues with off shore surrogacy - do you mean america or are you taking about the lack of protocol and law or the lack of them actualy existing or being enforced in developing nations/the global majority etc?

And with the other bit, do you think some women would consider it a job opportunity?

(I'm not trying to pick at your answer nor attack you, I'm genuinely interested in your pov)
    The simple fact is that paid surrogacy is not an option so the only option is to go off shore. That then means that you are at the mercy of the regulations or lack of regulations of that country.

Yes I do think some woman would see it as a job opportunity. Specially SAHM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Surrogacy in some form is as old as the bible

Question: "What does the Bible say about being or using a surrogate mother?"

Answer: Using a surrogate mother to bear children for a childless couple is as old as Abraham and Sarah in Genesis chapter 16. Sarah could not bear children, so she gave her servant, Hagar, to Abraham so she could have his children. This was a common practice at the time, since a childless woman was shamed by her friends and family. This story is the closest the Bible comes to what we call “traditional surrogacy” today, where the mother is impregnated with the sperm of a man—often one whose wife is incapable of producing eggs—usually by means of artificial insemination. Also practiced today is “gestational surrogacy” which involves transplantation of an already conceived embryo containing the sperm and egg from a couple. In this case, her role is simply that of a carrier, which was not the case with Hagar.
    Last edited by Mrs Mermaid; 26-06-2009 at 12:09. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hope it does not happen, I would like to see adoption become a more viable option here though.

How far should we push ethical boundaries so that people can get what they want?

Just say I was a millionaire LOL, now having another baby would be very high risk for me so pay a surrogate to carry it instead, but I want to save money so I use an Indian surrogate instead of an American one, then I decide actually I want a girl because already have a boy so I get the embryo created - tested- and not disposed of if it is female, then I get it implanted in an Indian woman and then I pick up a baby in 40 weeks time.

Now I may have gotten exactly what wanted but I would have violated a cr*p load of ethical boundaries in the process.

As it stands I will probably have no more children but still, wants should not be more important than other human beings rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by canberramomma View Post
    No. It's too open to abuse and exploitation. Surrogacy should be an altruistic action IMHO.

*ducks*

Thanks
    Reviews
    A large figure like $100k, no way, but perhaps a small amount to compensate for loss of earnings, or to pay for a part-time housekeeper during the pregnancy.

Edit: I would also think that the money would be better spent towards the child's upbringing.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 26-06-2009 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would only surrogate for A close family member or friend, and I wouldn't ask for money.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No, I find it unethical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I am not a huge fan of IVF..

I do not have anything against people using it or surrogates

I think that if there was legislation in place to protect all parties then they should have it.

better here than renting an exploited indian womans womb.