+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What else should I buy to be ready for bubs?

Hi all,

Well after reading through old posts and receiving everyone's wonderful advice i have ordered a number of trial packs for bubs and have to admit i really love IB's! I hope they fit bubs!!!! If so, I'll bulk buy mediums once bubs is big enough.

Anyway i have no where near enough nappies for full time use and am wondering what i should i do, i dont want to start with disposables as i'm the kind of person that will never end up using cloth if i don't start out that way...

So my current stash from my trial packs include:

Sized (small):
    2 IB's (1 AIO, 1 Snap in One)
    1 BBH magicall
    1 BBH PUL Cover
    1 BBH Wool Cover

Multifit:
    1 BBH Bamboo fitted
    1 BBH Hemp fitted
    1 BBH multifit magicall
    2 Cushie Tushies Basix's

So what do you recommend i buy to look after a newborn? Should i just buy some terry flats until bubs can fit into mediums? As i mentioned from what i currently know my personal preferance is lying with the IB Snap In, but it doesn't seem cost effective to bulk buy small when bubs will grow out of them very quickly.

P.S. this is my first baby and we would def love to have a 2nd and perhaps 3rd, so the nappies will get the fair share of use over time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    check out green kids, bonnibuns, and issy bear and also websites like nurture nappies, cottom bottom sustainable hemp etc og and Bumgenius are fantastic too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi kezza, thanks for the recommendations. I have checked out those websites and brands and had decided to trial the nappies i listed above... i think if i tried any others i'll just end up confusing myself and alienating DH from ever changing a nappy

I guess i should clarify i'm wanting to buy something in bulk to use on a newborn to make up the rest of the stash but i'm not sure what i should stock up on (that ends up costing less than what i would spend on using disposables )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    heehee ok Im lost! I dont quite get what you mean? If you are staying with those brands then just stock up on them????
    they can be used on a newborn....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumgenius pockets are good from newborn to TT. There are lots of prettier nappies, but these continue to impress me with their versatility, trimness and quick drying. You need to use bamboo in their pockets when bubs starts doing bigger wees though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ahhh it's seems i have major preggy brain the past couple of days and don't seem to be making any sense at all... let me try to explain myself and i apogise if i just come across as a gibbering fool

I bought the trial packs and intend to use them to find out which MCN's i like so that i can buy more of the ones i like the best / fit bubs best but i obviously can't do this until after bubs is born...

BUT the stash i have consists only 9 nappies (and i'm not neccesarily sure the multifits will fit a newborn). So i know i need more than 9 nappies hehehe... Having developed a preferance based on absolutely no experience i would like to buy sized nappies but can't justify the cost of buying the small sizes in the numbers needed for a NB. So I guess what my question is, what should i do to cheaply make up the number of nappies needed for fulltime use before bubs is big enough for me to order some medium sized nappies.

Looking through websites i have come across the 'bummi's cotton diapering kit'. Does this sound like a good option? It has 36 cotton prefold's and 6 covers for babies sized between 3.6-7kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try rumparooz which are great and go really small for a newborn (osfa pocket nappy).

Have you thought about getting some prefolds and using them with your covers. Bumboo do some nice prefolds as do Boori. They are similar to flats but have a reinforced absorbant layer in the middle section so they can last for longer and you can get bamboo ones which will hold even more.

Remember that if nappies don't work for your newborn they might work for he/she when he/she gets bigger. If not you can always on sell.

I used sposies for a couple of months as none of my stash fitted dd till she was 3 months old - I will be better prepared for number 2. I am still using sposies overnight as if she is in a sposie she sleeps for around 8 hours straight but in cloth I only get 4 hours from her in a stretch.

Hopefully some others will pop in and give you some more suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in a similar situation as you , I didn't want to buy too many small nappies for a newborn and I don't know which style will suit her the best till she has arrived .
    I have a few of each , like you , to try and have made up my newborn stash with Booroi bamboo prefolds and small bamboo fitteds ( called Bam Bams ) from Bubblebubs . You will need two more PUL covers if you go down this path - booroi have some that look good and arn't too pricey .
    If you want a really cheap option you can get cotton prefolds and/or terry flats to bulk out your stash .
    Unless you have planned more children I don't think you get good value for money out of newborn/small AIO's .
    I hope this helps a bit - good luck

Dilga is offline You taught me about my soul you shared with me your magic - John Butler Trio
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard boori prefolds are great then when bubs is bigger you can use them as booster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For this bub (my 2nd, used terry flats with my first as a newborn) we'll be getting some bamboo prefolds, which are meant to last through till mediums. We've got a few other things, and in smalls I think I'll probably order a pack of IB's and a pack of magicalls, in September (next nappy hunt time) and get a bargain, but bamboo prefolds seem to be the way to go - especially since once you get started it will all make more sense to you, and if you do end up using pockets you can use them to stuff them.
    Sorry if none of this makes sense, monster child is teething and feeling way overtired today!