+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Time for my first whinge - for Govt funded Mat Leave/menstruation leave

Well I'm not having a great day so I thought I'd get on and vent about my disgust concerning Govt funded mat leave. It's no doubt going to annoy feminists and others and I make no apologies. Just my opinion as a Mum.

It's a shocking thing this Govt funded maternity leave, and it doesn't do stuff all for Dads who deserve a good bit of time off as well. Nothing for them! Dads are forever overlooked in general (and royally screwed over with Child Support but I'll save that for another time) and it's such a massive shame.

That's not my only beef with Maternity leave. That tax payers will have to foot the bill is beyond absurd. If you choose to have children, you should foot the bill entirely. Sure, the Govt could give families a hand and still fund maternity leave though it should be like a HECS debt - parents should pay it back in full though over a good length of time so as not to cause financial stress. It is their responsibility after all - not the responsibility of the combined population of this country. I'm all for a certain degree of welfare though this goes way over the line into the ridiculous.

Perhaps some sort of voluntary contribution fund could be set up in future for men and women, starting when you leave school that goes towards it in future and can come off your bill later on. Could be some incentives in it to encourage it. I'd fully support that. That baby bonus should come into the above idea as well, parents should be made to pay it all back over time.

And while I'm at it, if the feminists/unions get paid menstruation leave through and into practice I'll go apesh*t. What a load of crap. If these people want it, it should be unpaid. What next? Paid Menopause leave? Jesus!

Just my two cents. Not looking for a fight I just wanted to voice my opinions and let off some steam.
    Last edited by DQ; 19-06-2009 at 12:40. Reason: inflammatory language removed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    what do you think of the baby bonus that has been around for years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well as soon as dads can give birth and breast feed I'll be all for them getting paid paternity leave.

Being pregnant and giving birth is HARD WORK that takes a huge toll on a woman's body. She deserves the time off to recover without financial pressure.

Likewise, breast milk is the normal food for babies. If mums can get some paid time off and this encourages breast feeding then good.

Men get plenty in this world. These measures are about restoring the balance and prioritising children.

Doesn't make me a femo pinko though, just makes me reasonable.

As for people bearing the cost of their own children, well yes that would be ideal. But it's expensive to have children and some people can't afford it.

If these people decide not to have children because they can't afford it, where will the taxes come from to pay your old age pension, your health care card and seniors concession card and fund your retierment home, hospital and hospice care when you need them?

We have an aging population - we need more children being born today to support that aging population.

As for not wanting a fight. I think you're gonna get one. Shouldn't have used such emotive language if you didn't want to start something.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's a great tongue-in-cheek post. I like it when people make jokes here. It lightens things up.

Although you almost fooled me that you were serious for a minute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gosh! Hope that made you feel better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    That's a great tongue-in-cheek post. I like it when people make jokes here. It lightens things up.

Although you almost fooled me that you were serious for a minute.

AHA! Jokes on me. Of course it couldn't be serious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by belonna View Post
    Well I'm not having a great day so I thought I'd get on and vent about my disgust concerning Govt funded mat leave. It's no doubt going to annoy feminists and others and I make no apologies. Just my opinion as a Mum..
    i make no apologies for my well read and reasearched opinion as well.
    It's a shocking thing this Govt funded maternity leave, and it doesn't do stuff all for Dads who deserve a good bit of time off as well. Nothing for them! Dads are forever overlooked in general (and royally screwed over with Child Support but I'll save that for another time) and it's such a massive shame..
    I agree that maternity leave should interchangable and those "silly" feminist will most likely agree with this. Studies show that the majority of men still earn more, and actually want to return to the work force far more often then women do. So you have me confused about that one.
    Plus they don't seem to be able to breast feed, which is big hurdle when you want to breast feed your child.

As for the child support, how is it that men are so screwed when women and their children are many times more likely to be living in poverty after a seperation/ divorce and men are not? Yep so screwed NOT!
    That's not my only beef with Maternity leave. That tax payers will have to foot the bill is beyond absurd. If you choose to have children, you should foot the bill entirely. Sure, the Govt could give families a hand and still fund maternity leave though it should be like a HECS debt - parents should pay it back in full though over a good length of time so as not to cause financial stress. It is their responsibility after all - not the responsibility of the combined population of this country. I'm all for a certain degree of welfare though this goes way over the line into the ridiculous..
    If no one has children who is going to whipe your bum when your old, and give you physio. We need children to be born in order that the next generation be supported. Without more children we are all screwed (to use one of your phrases).
    Yes how ridiculous to pay women (or men) to stay home with children, and ensure the next generation has their needs met- the most vulnerable amongst us, I mean really ridiculous.
    One of the biggest contributing factors in poverty amongst women is becomming a mother, yet this does not seem to effect men, funnilly enough in the same way. Fancy trying to ensure that parenting and motherhood is as valued as it should be- why the nerve. PFFFFTT.
    Perhaps some sort of voluntary contribution fund could be set up in future for men and women, starting when you're eighteen that can go towards it in future and can come off your bill later on. Could be some incentives in it to encourage it. I'd fully support that..
    Thats lovely, I fully support a more equitable society, not one where women and children are discriminated against. Many people get supported by the government in lots of different ways, god forbid we ensure the most vulnerable are taken care of.
    And while I'm at it, if those feminists get paid menstruation leave through and into practice I'll go apesh*t. What a load of crap. If these people want it, it should be unpaid. What next? Paid Menopause leave? Jesus!.
    Get real.
    Just my two cents. Not looking for a fight I just wanted to voice my opinions and let off some steam.
    Not looking for a fight, but I will insult, make genralised statments and talk rubbish, without really knowing what I am on about.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by DQ; 19-06-2009 at 12:42. Reason: ref to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is someone seriously trying to get paid menstruation leave???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by justmum View Post
    Well as soon as dads can give birth and breast feed I'll be all for them getting paid paternity leave.

Being pregnant and giving birth is HARD WORK that takes a huge toll on a woman's body. She deserves the time off to recover without financial pressure.

Likewise, breast milk is the normal food for babies. If mums can get some paid time off and this encourages breast feeding then good.

Men get plenty in this world. These measures are about restoring the balance and prioritising children.

Doesn't make me a femo pinko though, just makes me reasonable.

As for people bearing the cost of their own children, well yes that would be ideal. But it's expensive to have children and some people can't afford it.

If these people decide not to have children because they can't afford it, where will the taxes come from to pay your old age pension, your health care card and seniors concession card and fund your retierment home, hospital and hospice care when you need them?

We have an aging population - we need more children being born today to support that aging population.

As for not wanting a fight. I think you're gonna get one. Shouldn't have used such emotive language if you didn't want to start something.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    classic! LOVE it!
    Couldn't agree more!!!

This paid maternity is only a very recent thing.
    I have 3 children and have taken maternity leave 3 times, ALL 3 times UNPAID!!! And the baby bonus has only been around for a few years too. Before that you got diddly! I'm not complaining about that by the way, I am extremely thankful for the bonus I have received, they have allowed me to have more time off work to spend with my new babies. Time that I could NEVER get back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenyT View Post
    Is someone seriously trying to get paid menstruation leave???
    I've been running a personal campaign for years with DH