+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Traveling when pregnant

was just wonderding how many others traveled whilst in their 2nd trimester. We booked a holiday to malaysia just before i fell pregnant, and i am getting a little nervous about it! we have to pay in full by thursday and i am being silly and having second thoughts.

what do you think about traveling to KL and Penang when 17 weeks pregnant?

I asked my ob about it at our first appointment and he was completely happy for me to go, and said that Malaysia is a pretty safe place, just dont eat off the streets and drink bottled water and ask for no ice. We have been there twice and always abide by those rules and have been fine, so i am sure all will be fine but just want to get others opinions...

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm travelling to the UK in a month, and I'll be 17 weeks by then too!

I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your doctor says Malaysia is safe to travel to. I know that certain vaccines are harmful in pregnancy as they are "live" and may affect your bubba. If you're sticking to the main cities of Malaysia though, I doubt it would be a problem.

Make sure you check protocols with your airline when it comes to travelling as a pregnant woman. I'm flying with Emirates and they have told me I require a doctor's letter 72 hours beforehand saying that I will be fit to travel. A lot of airlines have different protocols so makesure you check their website or call them. I've also booked aisle seats so that I can get up as much as I like to stretch my legs. Hope you have loads of fun in Malaysia!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh that is great thanks for that tip - ill get my travel agent to check out malaysian airlines protocols..

have lots of fun in the UK!!! you will have a ball!!

I wont be getting any vaccines, never needed to before so should be okay

thanks for your reply! best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I travelled no worries. Only thing I would be concerned about now is swine flu..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would still go. Just use bottled water (even for brushing you teeth) and don't eat fruit and vege which would have been washed in water. You don't want to get sick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 17 weeks would be a great time to go

I was in Indonesia from 10 -13 weeks and it was horrid because I had morning sickness and just looking at all the lovely exotic food made me

I say go, take reasonable precautions and have a great holiday!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I travelled from Canada to london and then to Sydney at 26weeks pregnant. The only thing was that i was absolutely wrecked the jetlag was 10 times worse than usual and my ankles turned into cankles from all the flying It was still worth it though. I wouldnt worry too much - just do the bottled water thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hi there.....I travelled last year while 26-28 weeks pregnant....also with our 3 other children. We went to Dubai, Germany and Holland and had a great time.

Emirates required me to have a doctors letter on the way there and on the way back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will also be travelling to KL when im around 17 weeks with my DS and a friend. So I will keep a eye on this thread. You might be there at the same time as me

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is the best time in your pregnancy to travel.
    You will be over any morning sickness and still be comfortable to hang out around the pool

Penang is GREAT and as you r doc said - as long as you drink bottled water - you will be fine.
    Just make it known that you are pregnant - The Malaysians LOVE pregnant people

PS - I live in China but flew to Beijing and walked some of the great wall at 33wks preggers - and i was HUGE !!! You will be FINE