+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default should you have a d&c afer m/c?

Hi all, I started bleeding a couple of days ago. Yesterday, a grey blob passed and I'm pretty sure it was the sac.

Anyway, I went to the doctor last night and she said it is a miscarriage. She said if the bleeding doesn't go away in a couple of days then I could go to A&E and explain what's happened and they will organise a d&c. I think I should have one anyway but just wondering if you should have one after a m/c or not?

The u/s results I got last Friday said that either the pregnancy was too early to detect or complete miscarriage but I hadn't started bleeding then so I am worried as to where the m/c was coming from if my utereus was empty already last week???

I am confused. Should I have a d&c? Should I just go to emergency with u/s results and get them to see? What would you do?

TIA.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly...I am so sorry for your loss

Secondly...sometimes a D&C is necessary...other times its not. With my first m/c @ 9 weeks I didnt need to have one...it was ruled to be complete - they did a scan and also checked that my HCG levels had dropped and monitored them til they were back under 5.

With my 2nd m/c - it was a missed m/c and my bub had stopped growing at 8w5d and I didnt experience any bleeding. In this situation it was necessary.

So... the doctor should be monitoring your HCG to make sure it has gone down properly, but by the sounds of the scan and your bleeding, I would say it is complete and a D&C wouldnt be necessary unless there was any "retained product" (I hate to use this term as it sounds awful, but thats what the medical people call it!)

Best of luck...if you have any questions, feel free to PM me...unfortunately I've had to become a bit of a m/c expert over the last 12 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you're going through this.

I had a miscarriage years ago, and had an ultrasound afterwards to be sure everything had passed - which it had, so no D&C.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzaaa View Post
    Hi all, I started bleeding a couple of days ago. Yesterday, a grey blob passed and I'm pretty sure it was the sac.

Anyway, I went to the doctor last night and she said it is a miscarriage. She said if the bleeding doesn't go away in a couple of days then I could go to A&E and explain what's happened and they will organise a d&c. I think I should have one anyway but just wondering if you should have one after a m/c or not?

The u/s results I got last Friday said that either the pregnancy was too early to detect or complete miscarriage but I hadn't started bleeding then so I am worried as to where the m/c was coming from if my utereus was empty already last week???

I am confused. Should I have a d&c? Should I just go to emergency with u/s results and get them to see? What would you do?

TIA.
    Sorry to hear what is happening.
    I had a m/c 3 weeks ago when I was 9 weeks and I started miscarrying naturally and thought I would have passed all as I passed a lot of clots and tissues. I ended up with a D&C as it was an incomplete m/c and there was still the sac and the foetal pole.

If you are unsure I would go for another u/s !

Lots of

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks girls.

Should I just go to A&E and tell them what has happened???

The doctor that I saw last night said that if I don't have private health cover then I have to go to A&E. I just cancelled my private health cover last month as we have never used it.

The u/s result said that there was no sign of pole or sac and complete miscarriage at the time. If the uterus was empty at the time of the u/s before I was bleeding or even spotting, then where was the baby??? Had it already started to move down?? I have no idea how this works. Or was it ectopic that wasn't picked up??