+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby osteo or physio

Hi ladies,

I have a friend who has a 3 week old baby that does not sleep ( I am talking 45 mins today) and screams when awake and wont settle.

I am sure I have read somewhere that sometimes bubs can get a pinched nerve when going thru the birthing process and osteos or physios can help.

Does anyone know if this is correct or know of any good ones in brisbane.

They have tried a few different things and nothing seems to be working and I am running out of ideas for them.

thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be interested to hear people's responses too.
    I am a recent osteo convert myself, having never seen one before she was magic for my back and pelvis recently.
    I am going back with DH in tow in a few days.
    I am thinking of taking my 2yo after that for his ENT troubles, worth a shot.
    I would look into it if I had a really unsettled bub come September. I have heard similiar things to what you metioned about the birth process but have always been a bit of a sceptic. My mind has recently changed so I think it would be worth a try.

Hope your friends LO becomes more settled soon for them.

jag5000 is offline "tickled pink"
    Winner 2008 Most helpful member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    actually I'd vote for neither and see a chiropractor.

I have taken DS since he was 5 or 6 weeks and it's been wonderful. Helped sleeping issues, mild reflux, a stiff neck (he couldn't move his head to one side for weeks) and just generally more settled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one that I use... pm me if you want his details. (typing one-handed while bubs feeds, so will give more details later)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's certainly worth a try - that's not normal. Poor bubs! And poor Mum and Dad, too.

I will second jag5000 and say go for a chiropractor. And a year ago I would NEVER have said that. DD had a really stiff neck after my delivery and it was causing her head to turn to one side very dramatically. It took a LOT of convincing but my DP finally talked me into going to see a baby chiro. I have been dubious about chiros for years (not without good reason) but he said `let's just go you can talk to him and see what you think'.

Anyway, we took her. He was LOVELY. Had seen literally hundreds of babies - their photos were up everywhere. He was so gentle with her, she loved him, lay peacefully on his table at such a young age, didn't cry once, didn't even wince. He never cracked her neck or back or anything - just very gently rocked her and used a little contraption to do some baby adjustments on her spine.

Two visits and everything was fixed. I couldn't believe it. People noticed the difference immediately and it changed her feeding and sleeping habits, too. So yes, if you can find a GOOD one, and a very experienced one, I'd definitely go with a baby chiropractor too. Worked miracles for my baby.

jag5000 is offline "tickled pink"
    Winner 2008 Most helpful member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    isn't it amazing Chesby how gentle they are but how quickly they fix things?

I actually am starting to think that a chiropractor should be just like a 6 week check up. Something that most new bubs have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

My kids also did well with a chiro but I saw an osteo a couple of times for me when the chiro didn;t help a recurring problem I had - I went to Brisbane Osteopathic Centre at Wilston. They were a very child friendly place - I saw lots of kids being taken there.

I hope something helps them!!

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah I'm a total convert!!

There are other things that need to be looked into, though, for a bub that is screaming, not sleeping and not settling. Reflux is the first thing that comes to mind, then pain somewhere like you've said (i.e. neck or back). Also urinary tract infections are quite common in young babies and very painful.

My DD turned into that kind of baby at 4 weeks and was diagnosed with reflux, and had her neck issue, too. Medication sorted it out immediately, but she was also thoroughly checked with a urine sample (they stick a little baggie on them under their nappies and collect the urine that way) and temperature, ear infections etc etc.

New babies cry but they should also spend most of their time sleeping. I hope you're friend gets to the bottom of this.