+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going crazy! 2 year old won't eat dinner!

Ok, I've heard of fussy eaters but my son is ridiculous!!! I need help.

Firstly he starts off with breakfast fine. He eats weetbix or cheerios and loves it. Lunch is usually yoghurt and a tub of fruit (won't eat sandwiches) and dinner he is a nightmare! basically the only thing he eats is fish fingers or chicken nuggets (or chicken chipies) I always get him the good ones with no preservatives/colours etc. but he wont eat anything else. eg. won't eat macaroni & cheese, lasagne, spagetti, pizza.. things that normal kids would love! I'm worried he isn't getting enough veggies but don't know what to do! He of course will happily eat a bowl of ice cream or anything sweet. He loves fruit (the SPC kind) and biscuits ie, jax, clix etc.

The other night i tried him with lasagne and he said "there's poo in it" referring to the mince!!!!
    Any ideas??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly . I can understand my 14 month ds hates food in general.
    I think around 2 they go through a fussy stage, its seems as though he is eating ok for the rest of the day, could it be possible he isn't hungry for dinner? Maybe cut back on the snack foods like the bikkies during the day.
    I find the only way Ds will eat his veges is on things like my homemade pizzas. Maybe instead of nuggets you could try chicken schnitzel cut into strips or mashed potato wrapped in devon. I find ds slo likes veges baked like pototo, sweet potato and pumpkin cut into strips (like chips)
    Don't stress, he will eat when he is hungry

mumbron is online now Actions speak louder than words!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are all the same i have trouble as well and i can be annoying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sounds like he has gotten a real sweet tooth - Cheerios, yoghurt, tinned fruit etc.

I would go cold turkey on the sugary and processed foods and start offering fresh foods. He will eat when he is hungry enough Sugary and highly processed foods are addictive so it might take some time. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some two year olds tend to eat less at that age - they just don't need so much food. I'd concentrate on quality rather than quantity. That is, fresh food, eg, fruit, veg, meat, eggs, dairy, rice, pasta, porridge, and avoid frozen and packaged foods. You can make your own fish fingers and chicken nuggets, without all the chemical additives. I wouldn't regularly feed a child anything that contains flavour enhancer (MSG) which is in the frozen chicken pieces - it is banned from foods intended for infants, and shouldn't be neccessay if the quality of the ingredients is good (a bugbear of mine - I'm allergic). You can make stewed fruits, apple crumble, fruit muffins etc for desserts. You can keep it simple if he doesn't like mixed up foods (lasagne, spag bol, soups, casseroles, as many kids don't).

Good luck, and yes, he'll eat if he is hungry.
    Last edited by Penthesilea; 09-06-2009 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is fussy too I think (hope) it is a stage that she will grow out of. I Try to get veges into DD She will eat mashed potato, lettuce and Raw carrot (not cooked) so we have a lot of salads and she even ate a half a slice of cucumber last night!!! but Fruit is an ablsolout no go she even picks the fruit bits out of yoghurt, so I am focusing on the vege thing at the moment and hope that the fruit will come (DH and I are not huge fruit eaters either so that doesn't help).
    But onto my point I try to do alternate nights of stuff I know she'll eat (salad, pasta, mash etc) and one of something that might be a bit of a fight (meat is another problem so stroganoff, spagetti, lasagne, homemade pies etc) I try to put at least 1 thing on the plate that I know she'll eat - So I know if I make sheperds pie that she will eat the potato on top and hopefully a forkful or 2 of the meat/vege mix, she'll pick out the meat in the stroganoff but eat the sauce and pasta, you get the picture.
    Good luck I hope to implement some of the ideas here too. Fingers crossed for all our fussy eaters.
    Oh and if she doesn't eat her dinner she goes hungry - bath and bed directly no yoghurt/making a new meal etc

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    Ok, I've heard of fussy eaters but my son is ridiculous!!!
    You know he doesn't sound so much as a fussy eater to me, just an eater who's gotten into some bad habits. All those processed foods are really addictive and a hard habit to break. It might take a while for your little man's palate to readjust to natural fresh food.

I have a two yr old too and she has also had some eating issues this year. We ended up at our GPs because she was basically on a hunger strike which started by not eating at daycare and then spilled over to not eating at home either. We've just gone right back to basics to get her eating again and two weeks later we are having some success. I have also adopted a much more relaxed approach at mealtimes because she was finding meal times stressful which only made the problem more complex.

I am offering chicken cut into strips with different dipping sauces, she is using the cookie cutters to make shapes in her sandwiches (stars etc) and thinks this is great fun, she loves to "dip" so maybe do your own chicken nuggets or fish fingers and provide some dipping sauces, add carrot, capsicum,cucumber in really thin strips to dip into sour cream etc

The "they'll eat when they are hungry" didn't apply to my daughter this year, she would happily go for days without asking for food or eating so that one doesn't always work btw

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the good suggestions . I might try your trick biscotti of making my own chicken strips with dipping sauce. The other thing he WILL eat is canned carrots. So if all else fails he has carrots.

Maybe making food cut out in shapes is a good idea also.

Anyway, will let you all know how i go.

Oh also he used to love rice, but now doesn't even have that!!!