+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Irish mum seeking advice

Hi all
    Im just looking for some help...we have a DD age 2 and moved to Brisbane in January but have now found out we are going to have another bub. We are here on a sponsorship visa and dont know what we will be covered by on medicare. Our country has an agreement with Australia but not sure what that covers. also the GP wasn very helpful i dont know when im due he just told me to come back in 4 weeks and he will organize a scan. DO i go to Qscan for that or to the hospital. In Ireland you visit your doctor every 4 weeks and the hospital every 6 if i remember correctly and all this is free for all mums to be. You only have 1 scan unless there are complications which i had (bleeding all tru pregnancy) so im afraid this may be the case again and as i have nobody here to help im hoping you can help me. Im thinking i might just go home at the latest date i can fly (dunno what that is) and have my baby at home.......

JackzMumma is offline My family is finally complete!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It doesn't matter where you have bubs as long as bubs is healthy.

I'm not great at the advice (I tend to forget all the things that happen during pregnancy), but maybe go into Medicare and try to find out from them or at least find someone you can contact? Maybe even Centrelink can help?

I'm only going to the hospital for my appointments. I had an initial Doctors appointment. Now I do the Midwives Clinic. I go once a month. I had a scan at 11 weeks which we have to pay for and one at 19 weeks which we don't.

I hope people can help, maybe someone who has been in a similar situation.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BUB!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    could you call your consulate for advice on it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What sort of sponsership visa? Are you a permanant residence? If you have a permenant residence visa you are covered by medicare. Otherwise I would check out the immigration website that might tell you.

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you're on an employer-sponsored visa then you should be eligible for medicare, but a waiting list would have to apply for Centrelink benefits.

As in Ireland, if you go through the public system you should be covered for all costs, it's only when you look at more private options that you're up for costs.

Do you have private health insurance here? If so, you may find you are actually covered for maternity benefits if you also had similar private health cover in Ireland. Wehn we moved over our benefits were pepetuated.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. I had my first 2 children in Ireland (husband from Dublin)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do believe if your country has a reciporical agreement with medicare (and I'm pretty sure Ireland does), then you're covered for everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and... If you're going to spend a fair while in Australia, definitely have the baby here because in the first few weeks after birth, you'll get put into a mothers group etc (well, you might not as it's your second baby, but the clinic will be there to help you) and you'll know the health system.

I travelled back to Australia from where we were living (ukraine) to have our baby, and I had to leave my husband at 33 weeks. He rejoined me at 38.5 weeks, and the time spent apart really sucked...

He went back to Ukraine to finish up working, and I joined him for a while to pack up the apartment, but I was told not to fly back until the baby had had immunisations (though that was because I was travelling to a developing country).

In hindsight, I don't regret coming home to have the baby because I had complications 3 weeks post partum and had to have surgery and a blood transfusion (and I didn't want that to happen in Ukraine - seriously, they still collect dirty blood over there, huge problem with HIV and Hep B). But it was really really tough and trying, and put an unnecessary strain on our relationship. I only did it because I felt I HAD to...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default THanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmoi View Post
    I do believe if your country has a reciporical agreement with medicare (and I'm pretty sure Ireland does), then you're covered for everything.
    Thanks for that i will phone the Medicare people up and find out what to do next. I think we will go to Ireland to have the baby as im quite alone here and afraid of complications so would really like to be close to my mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do go about booking into a midwife clinic i quite like the idea of that...do i ask my doctor for a referral.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there...

If you're in Brisbane, in Annerley, I guess you can get a referral to the Mater Midwife group, I've heard they are great. I think you would fall out of the RBWH catchment.

Also, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts about travelling to have a baby.

Is there any way your mum could come over here when you have the baby? Seriously, I found it so hard to go back overseas with bub when she was 2 months old, I developed post natal depression. In hindsight, though I thought I was being 'strong' and 'independent' etc, it really would have been better for us to be settled - I should never have gone back over there, I should have just waited in Oz for my husband to come back.

Firstly, i had no support once i returned overseas, after living with my mum this was a true shock. Secondly, the poor baby was getting to the age where she was getting into a routine and being aware of her surroundings, then I upped and shifted her. She's a pretty adaptable baby, but I think one of the reasons she doesn't sleep through the night is because she's 'slept around' hehe.

Luckily I had friends over there who were expats, and expat communities are much more sociable and hands-on than I can imagine the Aussie (non expat) community being if you've just moved here.

I think if you had the baby here, you're more likely to set a nice strong foundation of support that you need - clinic nurses, mothers groups, play groups, doctors, midwives etc....

Perhaps it's easier for your mum to come over here to help you, than it will be for you to go over there when pregnant, have a baby, have to come back to Oz long haul with baby, then with a newborn try to get settled back into life here alone... all while being separated from your partner.