+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High hcg levels-possibly twins?

Girls I have posted here as you are all best qualified to answer my questions.

I'm 4weeks 4 days pregnant with my 5th. On Thu I had some slight spotting and so went for a blood test. The spotting soon stopped and I recognised that it was like spotting I got with my other pregnancies whenever I did a bowel movement.

The my dr called with my hcg levels and said that for 4 weeks 2 days they were at the levels expected around 6-7 weeks! The figure that day was 1320. He suggested the possibility of twins.

From the beginning of this pregnancy it has felt different. I got a positive hpt at 7dpo as my symptoms came on strong at 5dpo. My hpt at 14dpo had the test line darker than the control line. In the past they've always been quite faint til about 5weeks. I've had bad nausea, 24 hours, since just before 4 weeks (always came on at 6weeks with the others) and I am already developing a little belly (I'm quite slim so it would show earlier).

What were your hcg levels and symptoms around 4-5 weeks before you found out you were expecting multiples?

I dont mind whether I get one or two, all I want is a healthy baby. We're having a scan in 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by boygirlboygirl View Post
    Girls I have posted here as you are all best qualified to answer my questions.

I'm 4weeks 4 days pregnant with my 5th. On Thu I had some slight spotting and so went for a blood test. The spotting soon stopped and I recognised that it was like spotting I got with my other pregnancies whenever I did a bowel movement.

The my dr called with my hcg levels and said that for 4 weeks 2 days they were at the levels expected around 6-7 weeks! The figure that day was 1320. He suggested the possibility of twins.

From the beginning of this pregnancy it has felt different. I got a positive hpt at 7dpo as my symptoms came on strong at 5dpo. My hpt at 14dpo had the test line darker than the control line. In the past they've always been quite faint til about 5weeks. I've had bad nausea, 24 hours, since just before 4 weeks (always came on at 6weeks with the others) and I am already developing a little belly (I'm quite slim so it would show earlier).

What were your hcg levels and symptoms around 4-5 weeks before you found out you were expecting multiples?

I dont mind whether I get one or two, all I want is a healthy baby. We're having a scan in 4 weeks.
    Hmm - two things - spotting or bleeding is very common in multiple pregnancies...almost eveyrone on here had some type of bleeding early on including me. I didn't know my HCG levels until 5 weeks 5 days but they were 290,000 one day and 335,000 two days later (normal is around - 5000 - 12,000 for that stage)
    So it sound like its a possiblity that you are having twins - don't you just wish you could have an ultrasound asap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh most definitely I want an ultrasound asap! It's interesting what you said about the spotting. I never got the spotting previously until about 6 weeks and then it as definitely only after I had a bowel movement. This spotting seems quite indiscriminatory, yet the nausea reminds me that all is ok.

We only have a 7 seater, we'd have to upgrade our car from a people mover!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there and how exciting!

I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins and here were my levels:

16dpo - 235
    18dpo - 546
    20dpo-2176

I have had no morning sickness but my belly did start popping out 9 weeks on.

I hope the 4 weeks flies really quickly!

HelenHasTwins is offline Oh the love I have for my twin boys! How wonderful a feeling it is...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my level was 900 at 4 weeks, so it does look promising....all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never told my HCG levels and I never asked, I also didn't have any spotting or real nausea (I did lose my appetite)

but good luck if you want twins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, it does seem that my levels are high, the dr specifically wanted to tell me, he said he doesn't see them that high very often (and here was me hoping they wouldn't be too low because of the spotting). I'm sort of scared that it could be twins, I would then have 6 children under 8 with a husband who often works away! I mainly want this baby (or babies) to stay in there and be born healthy.

For those of you who had spotting, do you mind me asking what it was like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, congrats on the high reading at 4 weeks, don't be too surprised, you might be further along than you realised or there is indeed twins or more in there!!

I didn't have spotting, or MS either, so I pray that all is OK with you. No need to stress until you know for sure!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies!!! I'm pretty sure you are sick of these questions! But I got my results back today from my BT's. The doctor has put normal on my history but my hCG levels are at 3071 and that was at what we guess is 4wks 3days! I knew I was pregnant after using a hpt at 3wks 2days. This is my first cycle of the pill so I have no idea when I ovulated! Geez... am I looking forward to my early scan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I originally started this post, but unfortunatly my outcome for that pregnancy was that the baby had a genetic abnormality, which can often show a high hcg reading, and died at 9 weeks.

Purely coincidentally, my pregnancy immediately following that sad outcome is twins!

I'd recommend you get a scan about 7 weeks to be sure there are 2 in there. I'd avoid going earlier as it's not uncommon to have a twin 'disappear'. At 7 weeks the heartbeats can be detected and their viablity is slightly more assured. I found this time the symptoms were more extreme than in the past (I never bothered with blood tests, didn't want skewed results like last time). My breasts ached unbearably and my belly was much bigger at 7 weeks than previously.

Best of luck and let us know how you go!