+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Enquiring about Pelvic Floor exercises and Breast Feeding

Hi its Mumofabeautiful6yrold,Iam enquiring how long are you meant to breastfeed for after you're baby is born and from the day the baby is born as I dont know much about the breast feeding thing and also how often are u meant to go for the antenatal classes to be shown how to do the pelvic floor exercises so that you're pelvic floor is strong etc by the time you go into labour as Iam due to have my second baby on the 23rd of october this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

Where are you having your baby and what sort of care are you under (shared care, clinic, etc?).

Normally the middies will assist you with breastfeeding while you're in hospital.

I take it your first question is how long is the first feed (ideally in the birth suite)? It can take baby anywhere from 1 minute to maybe 30 minutes to find the breast and get a good latch if you let baby take the lead and not be too 'forceful'. This feed may then be anything from 10mins to 1hr depending on how awake baby is and what sort of a birth you have had -i.e. how tired you both are and if any drugs have been involved.

After that, you would expect baby to feed every 2-3hrs for probably 15-45 minutes for the first couple of weeks, after which the length of the feeds would shorten as feeding becomes more efficient and baby should go longer between feeds.

That might sound like a big variance, but every baby is different. My first son fed for 45 mins every 3hrs, but this one only takes 10-15mins.

Regarding pelvic floor you should do them every day whether you are pregnant or not!. If you are a public patient (I was at the Mater) you should be able to get a free appointment with a physio who will go through the exercises with you on day 2-3 after baby is born while you are still in hospital, or you can book an appointment and go back in. I had my PF appt about 4 weeks after DS was born and it went for about 1hr.

Hope that helps.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have a browse through the ABA website! The answer is either - as soon as they want to feed for as long as they want to or - for at least a year. And as for the pelvic floor exercises - you need to do many, many, many a day. Forever.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default To Trin 007-Replying to ur message

Hi Trin 007,its Mumofabeautiful6yrold I only just got ur message now and thought I write one back Iam going to be having my second child that Iam currently pregnant with at The Redlands Hospital Cleveland,At my 16 week antenatal appointment I was telling the doctor of the leaking problems I was having and he refered me to see a physiotherapist about getting shown how to do pelvic floor exercises.But my main question was how long do u have to breast feed you're baby for as in how many months etc ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Breastfeed for as long as you like. The World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years...the avergae world weaning age is 4 years. The benefits aof breastfeeding are endless so breastfeed for as long as you are both happy to!