+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Ok well here in QLD when I went to buy my dd a booster seat at a baby shop the lady there said that she'd just been visited by a representative with all the new info on the law and told her that up until about 5 years of age...the maxi rider is the only booster seat that is legal at this point in time.
    Must be based on what they sell (i know some places here only stock a particular brand) as the explorer http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/Bu...Seats-Explorer is in the same category as the maxi. The trek 8 http://www.bubsandtots.com.au/store/...t/prod_13.html is also a booster with an inbuilt harness, so would comply too. Sometimes the reps from different places try and say what they need to to get their product as the main sale item, so will say anything. I always email/call the manufacturer direct to get a more official response when determining if a seat is appropriate or not. The new laws have the booster with inbuilt harness up to the age of 4, not 5 anyway, so the rep has definately given mis-information.

Still NOTHING on the RTA website about the laws coming in in NSW too....i tried googling heaps of different combo's and still found nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thank you everyone for your advice, lots for me to think about! I like the look of the Maxi Riders, I might go and get DS to sit in a few boosters to see how they are.

My sister has just recently announced that she's about 8 weeks pregnant, so I'll tell her she can use my convertible car seat, save her the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was just looking on line at the maxi riders and they are only safe up to 26kgs. My DS is already over 18kgs and i was looking at getting a booster for my husbands car. He is also over 98cms tall and he isn't even two yet. What do we do? Do we go a maxi rider and pay a few hundred more then getting a booster with a harness thing? My DS will use it like maybe once a month. The rate he is growing he will be too big for the seat in less then a year.

What are our options with him when the laws change?

EDIT: I was just reading the Web site and the inbuilt harness is only safe to 18kgs anyway.
    Last edited by Poppetfish; 31-05-2009 at 18:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default We bought a booster!

After a bit of research, by both DH and myself, we decided on the one that Choice recommended, the Secure Infa Vario Kid Max (it is the only one that gets a mention on their 'What to buy' page).

It's rated #1 with regards to side impact crash protection, so the choice to buy it was a no-brainer really, it's the best one (and, surprisingly, not the most expensive!). We got it for $159 at the RACV Shop, they had a member discount on offer.

It looks really nice, more sleek and stylish than the 'fluffy' looking Safe N Sound boosters (even the AHR looks a bit ordinary compared to our new Infa seat).

Oh, and although you can use a 'protecta harness' with the Infa seat, we're opting to use it with the seatbelts, as this will be safer (after all, the seatbelt is attached directly to the car, and the Infa seat is designed to hold the seat belt securely in place.

Also....the Infa seat's head rest is adjustable to quite a tall setting, which is great because DS is fairly tall (about 80th percentiles for height). So now he can stay in that until he's 26kg (and he's about 14.5 kg which is the minimum).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babygiggle View Post
    Really?
    We have the hipod senator for DS, he hasn't used it yet, we bought while it was on sale earlier this year... Would we not be able to use this after the new laws come in? It has an inbulit 5 point seatbelt, then converts later with a H harness and anti submarine clip...
    The Hipod Senator will perfectly legal when the new laws come in, it has the maxirider AHR shell anyway just no cup holders LOL.

It has a 5 point harness and then capacity for a protecta harness which can be set up so it is classed as inbuilt.

It has the versa tether and antisub clip so effectively all the same safety features as the Maxi but $100 dollars cheaper.

And it was rated as the safest FF car seat on the market in the recent tests!

So you made a good choice LOL.

The following seats will be perfectly legal with the new laws.

SNS Maxi Rider
    Hipod Senator
    Infa Trek 8

And possibly SNS explorer.

Most baby shops will only sell the maxi though, nice big margin in that one .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berni View Post
    I was just looking on line at the maxi riders and they are only safe up to 26kgs. My DS is already over 18kgs and i was looking at getting a booster for my husbands car. He is also over 98cms tall and he isn't even two yet. What do we do? Do we go a maxi rider and pay a few hundred more then getting a booster with a harness thing? My DS will use it like maybe once a month. The rate he is growing he will be too big for the seat in less then a year.

What are our options with him when the laws change?

EDIT: I was just reading the Web site and the inbuilt harness is only safe to 18kgs anyway.
    berni with the new laws they are looking at introducing new booster seats that go up to 36kg, however there is no way of knowing how long it will take to get them in.

I would suggest you get something like the SNS pegasus which is one of the taller booster on the market (no 5 point harness but your DS is too big for that anyway) and then hopefully by the time he has outgrown that the new boosters will be in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just got DD the Infa Trek 8 booster. Its suitable for 8 to 26kg and has the 5 point harness built in

Its on sale at the moment for 219.99 at Babyco, bargain!

She wont be in it until this bub comes (sept) she's 12kg now and 2 1/2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the hipod senator too.....and like others have said it is perfectly legal if the new laws are intorduced into WA where we are....